Holton #52 “Revelation”

The bulk of the musical talk
kathott
bugler
bugler

Holton #52 “Revelation”

Post by kathott »

Nobody can handle a Holton #52 “Revelation”.
Nobody.
....not no-where, not no-how.....
Schmenge Kaiser EEb, 3 valve (two rotors, one piston), with a Kosicup mouthpiece (9.2 mm)
Paul Scott
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Holton #52 “Revelation”

Post by Paul Scott »

I think you mean the Conn 1.
Adjunct Tuba Professor
William Paterson University
Wayne, NJ
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Of the vintage Holton tuba mpcs, this one: "Revelation" seems to garner the most posts. I have a vintage Holton Galaxy mpc that I had re-plated many years ago. I didn't use it much before or after I had it re-plated. It was originally nickel-plated, and it was worn down to the bare brass in spots and the rim had nicks in it, so I had it silver-plated. Last time I remember, it was a large bowl mpc with a wide rim.

My question to those who know: what is the difference between the 'Revelation' and 'Galaxy' mpcs :?:
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

^ :lol: I was more looking for the playing differences/dimensions between the 'Revelation' and 'Galaxy' mpcs; not so much opinions on the manufacturing process of such mpcs.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

^ Had no idea there were various Galaxy mpcs.
So I did a quick look/measuring of the Holton 'Galaxy'. Seems to be similar to the PT-88 on the inside (deep bowl), but with a smaller throat/backbore and wider rim. Length was 3.75", width of the outer cup at rim edges was a few mm under 2", so this mpc is definitely smaller than the 'Revelation'. The 'Galaxy' I have looks somewhat like those vintage King mpcs -- overall fancy style and engraving on the outside.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

I'm not sure how the Conn 1 got mixed up in this, so - pardon the digression - but it's a very normally dimensioned mouthpiece except that it's just deeper, and the throat is pretty large. The rim is a lot like my Schilke 67, and the sound is actually quite similar; an average listener might notice a difference, but I'm not sure. I sure wouldn't say "no one" could handle it, but I guess I would say that for best results, it does call for a different approach with the player generating a more colorful sound. Whether that's harder or easier might depend on how your tone comes out naturally.
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

Jeez, I got one and have never played it. Maybe I'll give 'er a honk.