Three Valve BBb

The bulk of the musical talk
CranstonTuba
bugler
bugler

Three Valve BBb

Post by CranstonTuba »

Hi all! I play a lot of sousaphone gigs. But I live in a very small space. I’d like to get a front action 3 valve BBb tuba to practice on, that won’t take up the entire corner of the hallway I can practice in. I play CC for my concert horn, so I’m not looking into getting anything high end. Just an affordable BBb I can practice on. It can be 4 valves I just don’t need the fourth valve. I’m not in any rush to make a purchase but I’d appreciate recommendations for front action BBb’s I should keep an eye out for. As of now all I know I should keep an eye out for are Yamaha 103’s.

Thanks for any advice.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Three Valve BBb

Post by Art Hovey »

King
Conn 12J
Olds O-99

The King is more like a sousa but takes up more space.
The Conns and Olds are smaller but still very good and often inexpensive on Ebay.
sugawi
3 valves
3 valves

Post by sugawi »

The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

That's one of the first I've seen in awhile which has a more realistic price (499.99). Someone said that Yamaha 103s are nice little horns and the price went through the roof. This same seller also has a Conn 5J ($999.99) and a King 1240/2340 ($599.99) at reasonable prices. The 1240/2340 is a 1241/2341 with three valves. I like the recording bell of the King for some occasions and situations but found handling it and getting around with it was a little clumsy. They take top more space, too, They need to be laid down on their back or put in a stand not just stood on the bell and eased into a corner. Upright bells are available but that's more money and good ones are not cheap.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

What make/model/era sousaphone do you usually play? Reason for asking: for example, if you play a King souzy, then a King 3-valve tuba is a natural fit, especially if it has the recording bell, because the two instruments have the same bore and have a similar response due to the similar construction. That might help the TNFJ recommend a tuba for you.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
CranstonTuba
bugler
bugler

Post by CranstonTuba »

I play a 1933 King but I don’t need it to feel the same or have similar characteristics. This is more for my ear and fingers. If I have a new tune I need to memorize, or to play with recordings, it would be helpful to have a horn that’s producing the same pitch with finger combinations as I’ll be playing with my band. I’ve used my baritone or my euphonium in the past. That has been a useful trick if I just need to memorize something quickly. But it’s just not the same as playing in the right octave.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

There is a nice, cheap Jupiter King 1140 copy at Baltimore Brass on line...
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=92390" target="_blank" She's a good little player. 12J Conn. Can ship greyhound for about 75 bucks. :tuba:
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.