Holton #52 “Revelation” Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Holton #52 “Revelation”

Postby kathott » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:04 pm

Nobody can handle a Holton #52 “Revelation”.
Nobody.
....not no-where, not no-how.....
Schmenge Kaiser EEb, 3 valve (two rotors, one piston). Mouthpiece: a vintage Boosey “Big Boy” model, drilled out to 9.2 mm
kathott
bugler
bugler

Re: Holton #52 “Revelation”

Postby bloke » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:33 pm

Very similar to Conn 1 or Conn Chief...For the player who – along with being able to handle a mouthpiece that is a full inches wide – wants all bass and no treble.
Last edited by bloke on Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Paul Scott » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:50 pm

I think you mean the Conn 1.
Adjunct Tuba Professor
William Paterson University
Wayne, NJ
Paul Scott
pro musician
pro musician

Postby toobagrowl » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:00 pm

Of the vintage Holton tuba mpcs, this one: "Revelation" seems to garner the most posts. I have a vintage Holton Galaxy mpc that I had re-plated many years ago. I didn't use it much before or after I had it re-plated. It was originally nickel-plated, and it was worn down to the bare brass in spots and the rim had nicks in it, so I had it silver-plated. Last time I remember, it was a large bowl mpc with a wide rim.

My question to those who know: what is the difference between the 'Revelation' and 'Galaxy' mpcs :?:
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:17 pm

Paul Scott wrote:I think you mean the Conn 1.

thnx...fixed
bloke

Postby bloke » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:19 pm

toobagrowl wrote:Of the vintage Holton tuba mpcs, this one: "Revelation" seems to garner the most posts. I have a vintage Holton Galaxy mpc that I had re-plated many years ago. I didn't use it much before or after I had it re-plated. It was originally nickel-plated, and it was worn down to the bare brass in spots and the rim had nicks in it, so I had it silver-plated. Last time I remember, it was a large bowl mpc with a wide rim.

My question to those who know: what is the difference between the 'Revelation' and 'Galaxy' mpcs :?:

Those Galaxy mpc's - those that I've seen - were later-days Leblanc-was-in-money-trouble cheapo's...

They were original silver plated, but silver plated over nickel plating (which is a crappy shortcut for buffing).
ie. They were mechanically tumble-buffed or mechanically corn-blast buffed (smooth, but not shiny), nickel plated to make them shiny, and then silver plated over the nickel, resulting in shiny silver...though silver does not bond to nickel...It only coats it.
bloke

Postby toobagrowl » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:15 pm

^ :lol: I was more looking for the playing differences/dimensions between the 'Revelation' and 'Galaxy' mpcs; not so much opinions on the manufacturing process of such mpcs.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:44 pm

There have been more than one model of "Galaxy" tuba mouthpieces that I've seen as it was a *name used widely by Holton connected to its products.
Those that appeared (again) towards the end are those about which I commented.

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5ccsGPEbWM

To describe the Revelation 52, it measured (right at) a full 2" by a full 4", the rim was quite wide, the cup opening was quite large, the funnel was quite deep (with little curvature), the throat was quite large, and the back-bore was quite funnel-shaped (with little if any curvature at all). The shank was what is today referred to as "euro" size. How does that compare to your particular Galaxy? ...and - towards the end - many of their mouthpieces' exteriors were Bach-like in shape.
bloke

Postby toobagrowl » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:39 pm

^ Had no idea there were various Galaxy mpcs.
So I did a quick look/measuring of the Holton 'Galaxy'. Seems to be similar to the PT-88 on the inside (deep bowl), but with a smaller throat/backbore and wider rim. Length was 3.75", width of the outer cup at rim edges was a few mm under 2", so this mpc is definitely smaller than the 'Revelation'. The 'Galaxy' I have looks somewhat like those vintage King mpcs -- overall fancy style and engraving on the outside.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:39 pm

toobagrowl wrote:^ Had no idea there were various Galaxy mpcs.
So I did a quick look/measuring of the Holton 'Galaxy'. Seems to be similar to the PT-88 on the inside (deep bowl), but with a smaller throat/backbore and wider rim. Length was 3.75", width of the outer cup at rim edges was a few mm under 2", so this mpc is definitely smaller than the 'Revelation'. The 'Galaxy' I have looks somewhat like those vintage King mpcs -- overall fancy style and engraving on the outside.

so anyway, you know know how yours compares to a Rev.-52

' seems as though yours might be more...well..."reasonable".

bloke "I have a couple of REALLY nice Rev-52's as they were supplied "stock" with 345 tubas. I have a couple of 345 tubas awaiting restoration (no private messages, please!) "someday", and these Rev-52's will go with them...if/when those days come.
bloke

Postby Donn » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:46 pm

I'm not sure how the Conn 1 got mixed up in this, so - pardon the digression - but it's a very normally dimensioned mouthpiece except that it's just deeper, and the throat is pretty large. The rim is a lot like my Schilke 67, and the sound is actually quite similar; an average listener might notice a difference, but I'm not sure. I sure wouldn't say "no one" could handle it, but I guess I would say that for best results, it does call for a different approach with the player generating a more colorful sound. Whether that's harder or easier might depend on how your tone comes out naturally.
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby bloke » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:23 am

:lol:
triggered
bloke

Postby tclements » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:30 am

Jeez, I got one and have never played it. Maybe I'll give 'er a honk.
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby bloke » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:23 pm

tclements wrote:Jeez, I got one and have never played it. Maybe I'll give 'er a honk.

Tony,
It's the 1960's Ampeg B-15N Portaflex of tuba mouthpieces...nothing but B-A-S-S

bloke

Return to TubeNet