Drum Machine as Metronome

The bulk of the musical talk
Mark

Drum Machine as Metronome

Post by Mark »

I've been thinking about getting a drum machine to replace a boring metronome. Any recommendations?
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Drum Machine as Metronome

Post by Radar »

Most drum machines I've looked at were pretty high priced, and for a practice tool didn't want to go there. What I discovered is that some very cheap keyboards have pretty decent drum beats for really reasonable prices. I wound up with a low end Yamaha keyboard that has quite a variety of beat patterns preprogrammed in.
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H
Rivercity Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Rivercity Tuba »

Boss DR-3
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Garage Band app??

Beat Boy??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Reptilian
bugler
bugler

Post by Reptilian »

Three Valves wrote:Garage Band app??

Beat Boy??
Yeah good call, just get some drum machine app and a decent Bluetooth speaker. Good to go.
MikeS
bugler
bugler

Post by MikeS »

I use an app called Drumgenius. The sound quality of the samples is very good and natural. There is control over tempo within reasonable limits for the sample selected (in other words, you can’t slow a hip hop groove down to 40bpm). It includes a number of different straight, rock, and jazz patterns and a number of interesting international ones. It’s not perfect, but it’s good enough that I use it regularly.

http://www.projazzlab.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Or a Boss DB90 (aka Dr Beat, the one with the yellow select wheel). I don't think the sounds are sampled, and the interface is wacky, but there's an assortment of percussion patterns to work with. Used it in a rehearsal almost as a joke, but it actually helped the ensemble get the feel of the particular tune we were playing.
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Post by Voisi1ev »

The Tonal Energy app has some real basic drum patterns you can use for the metronome sound. Works really well, much less irritating than a electronic blip when used loudly.