What companies Finance horns? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

What companies Finance horns?

Postby DouglasJB » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:45 pm

Just wondering, My wife and I were talking about the possibility of me going back to school to finish my Music Ed Degree. (I currently have a degree in music, with minors in Business Management and Entrepreneurship). Of this happens I will need to get back into playing CC tuba where the Eb wont do everything (doesn't stop me from trying currently). I am leaning towards a Larger CC tuba
My last CC was a 5V 6/4 Cerveny 691 and I loved using the larger horn for Orchestra and Band.
Meinl Weston 2141 Eb tuba
DouglasJB
3 valves
3 valves

Re: What companies Finance horns?

Postby Dan Tuba » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:35 pm

I wouldn't recommend financing an instrument through any of the Music companies that offer that service. I have financed instruments this way before, however you end up paying so much in interest that you could be well on your way to purchasing an additional tuba :shock:

If you "have" to finance an instrument purchase, I would recommend talking to local credit unions or banks to see about acquiring a line of credit or an "educational" type of loan that offers a discounted interest rate. I have also taken advantage of offers through PayPal, Affirm, and Synchrony for 6, 12, and up to 18 months 0 interest. However, I would only recommend doing that if you KNOW for SURE that you can pay the loan off before the end of the interest free period.

Off topic: Why do you feel the "need" to purchase another tuba to go back to school to complete your Education degree? Most schools have more than adequate tubas to utilize for large ensembles. Why do you need a large CC? Large BBb's are usually cheaper, and if you have to finance an instrument, this could save you $1XXXs of dollars.
BMB J765
KT50/24AW
Dan Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Schlepporello » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:58 pm

Woodwind and Brasswind used to have a "Play Now, Pay Later" plan that was nothing more than committing you to a Mastercard through Wells Fargo at a higher interest rate, of course. I thought I'd give it a shot when I bought my Miraphone 187. I applied on line and my credit line was approved...……….or so I thought.
My plan was to pay the card off in full once I got my income tax refund back, but Wells Fargo had other plans. Once I ordered my 187, they decided that they really didn't want to approve the credit for the total price as I had been led to believe I had been approved for. They were only going to approve me for 3/4 of the amount I'd requested. Of course I found this out 2 weeks after I placed my order, Wells Fargo never bothered to tell me what I had really been approved for. So once I found out, I used my own Mastercard (8% interest) to buy the horn, then paid the balance off with my income tax refund as I had originally planned. And as soon an the Wells Fargo credit card arrived, it got fed to the shredder.

If you have to use credit to get a horn, get a very good credit line built up and then get a low interest credit card with a sufficient enough credit limit to cover the full cost of a tuba and pay the balance off FAST! Like within two months or less. It's not easy, but then again, buying new tubas are generally not easy either. There is not a fast, easy way to buy a new tuba unless you have made the circumstances fall in your favor first.
I'm just crazy about dementia.
BBb Helicon built by Harvey Hartman (for sale)
Miraphone 496
York "Master" (pre-1961)
Yamaha YBB-103
Conn 20K Sousaphone (no worky)
Frank Holton Sousaphone (no valve cluster)
Schlepporello
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Three Valves » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:04 pm

I like balance transfer Visa checks.

I pay 3% of the transfer amount and no more provided I pay it off in 18 months.

If I need more time I just use another check!!
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
RT50
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Casca Grossa » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:52 am

Based on your signature block, you have a pretty nice, do it all Eb. I would check with the schools you are applying too to see what they have on hand. If you are getting a music Ed degree, why do you need a CC? IMHO...why does it matter what key the horn is in if you can play in tune and in time? I would stay away from any sort of financing. If you are dead set on getting a good CC at a reasonable price, look used or here http://www.mackbrass.com/?no_redirect=true" target="_blank. No need to go deeper in debt when you are most likely financing your education.
Mack-a-clone 186 Chairman Mao
Blokepiece Imperial
Lignatone Eb Sigmund Freud
Amati Eb Klement Gottwald
Blokepiece Solo
Mack Brass Bass Bone Sun Tzu
Douglas Yeo Replica Mouthpiece
Why have 3 valves when you can have 6 and a main tuning slide kicker???
Casca Grossa
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Casca Grossa » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:14 am

Big brother is watching. I just checked my email and this was sitting in there after I posted on this thread. From The Woodwind and Brasswind.

Good morning, Brian!

It can be hard to pay for the instrument of your dreams all at once. And that's why we give you the option to PLAY FIRST and pay over time.
Our team has worked tirelessly to bring you this new special financing offer.
This week only, you can call my team at 800.852.1851 and get 15% off, if you are a first-time approved financing applicant.
Terms and conditions apply and this opportunity will end June 16!
Cheers, and all the best!
Matt Stokes, Staff Advisor

P.S. You can get details on promotional financing right here.
Mack-a-clone 186 Chairman Mao
Blokepiece Imperial
Lignatone Eb Sigmund Freud
Amati Eb Klement Gottwald
Blokepiece Solo
Mack Brass Bass Bone Sun Tzu
Douglas Yeo Replica Mouthpiece
Why have 3 valves when you can have 6 and a main tuning slide kicker???
Casca Grossa
4 valves
4 valves

Postby DouglasJB » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:11 pm

For those asking the question, Why CC? I've played a CC tuba since my sophomore year in high school. CC is just what I prefer. I'm not purchasing or financing anything yet, I'm just curious what companies will do it. I will end up going back to the same school my original degree is from and they have a certain expectation of what to expect from me where I only graduated a short time ago.
Meinl Weston 2141 Eb tuba
DouglasJB
3 valves
3 valves

Postby pauvog1 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:39 pm

I wouldn't finance an instrument. Not worth paying extra interest/fees for 99.999% of folks.

If you must have a CC now, find a used instrument or get a new mack 186 clone in your price range, and bank up until you can afford an upgrade.
Kalison DS
B&S PT-18p (MRP F)
pauvog1
4 valves
4 valves

Return to TubeNet