Itec horns.

The bulk of the musical talk
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Itec horns.

Post by MikeMason »

So, what’s new? Was the Eastman piston f there? New Eastman 4/4 c?
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Itec horns.

Post by Lee Stofer »

There were plenty of instruments on display at ITEC, and I certainly got an earful in the Elephant Room.

Miraphone had their own room, and many nice instruments there. The most interesting horn there (to me) was a gorgeous rose brass 4-rotor euphonium. If I
had the extra cash, I would have bought it, just to have it - very cool. Yamaha had their own room, and many nice instruments there. Adams had their own room, and also had a very nice display. I remember seeing a variety of E-1 through E-3 euphoniums, as well as fine, well-made tubas there. I did not have the luxury of spending much time there, because I was doing repairs all week in the Elephant Room.

In the E.R., Baltimore Brass had an impressive display of new and pre-owned instruments, Buddy Roger's Music of Cincinatti, OH had B&S and Eastman instruments and Robert Tucci mouthpieces (and Robert Tucci there, too), Willson had a very nice display including their most recent F and Eb tubas, Wessex had a massive display of just about everything imaginable, Eastman had an impressive display, Brian Frederiksen had a booth there, as did Michael Parker, and I had a booth with a limited repair shop, three pre-owned instruments, and my newest CC tuba.

I told visitors the only new tuba made in the USA that they would see was at my booth. This instrument, my 5th custom tuba, incorporates the best construction aspects that I've observed in vintage Conn, Martin and York tubas, and I got a bit of positive feedback about it. This instrument was sold before it arrived at ITEC, but the new owner graciously allowed me to show it, since it will be at least another 3 months until I can have another one ready. Normally I have been completing one every 14 months, but this is the second one completed this year. I am hoping to complete two or three more this year.

As far as anything new, the most new offerings are from the Chinese makers. Wessex' display included copies of everything from the CSO York to a kaiser B & F BBb, to copies of most every popular tuba of the past 40 years, re-makes of vintage sousaphones, cavalry (rear-facing-bell) low brass, a cimbasso and a silver-plated ophecleide. Eastman did have some new instruments there, but I would defer to Chris Hite of Buddy Roger's or Chuck Kerrigan of Eastman as to exactly what those offerings were. I know they made some sales, which is impressive at ITEC. There were plenty of vendors in the Quiet Room as well, and I bought some sheet music there.

My impression of ITEC is that it is the conference in the academic community, which at the end of the school year is not likely to be making major purchases. I think that the vendors go there, hoping to make impressions that will lead to sales in the late summer/early fall, which is typically when more purchases are made, along with the Christmas/after Christmas season. This accounts at least in part for why I've found the Capitol Tuba Expo at Ft. Myer, VA to be a preferred show for vendors, as in January/February there are people ready to make purchases there. I'm a little surprised that there is not more discussion about what was in the exhibits.
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
kingrob76
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kingrob76 »

Also remember at Ft. Myer you don't pay sales tax... that makes a difference.
Rob. Just Rob.
Scubatuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Scubatuba »

So there were no B&S or Meinl Weston tubas there? I heard there was a Besson Prestige gold lacquer there too?
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Buffet was there...