SOLD - MW 182 F-Tuba, recent service, like new condition

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

SOLD - MW 182 F-Tuba, recent service, like new condition

Post by tmz1m »

Purchased this MW 182 5-valve F tuba a few weeks ago from an ad on here, but it’s just not for me. It’s in beautiful shape, has a custom-fit hard case, plays really nicely. It had not been played in a year or two so I took it to the shop for a clean and maintenance. The valves are super fast, but whisper quiet, everything works as it should. There’s a tiny mute ding in the bell, and a few small surface scratches on the bottom bow (tried to picture the bell ding but it’s really small; the scratches wouldn’t show up in a pic).

$4200. In Denver, would really love to meet up and not ship, but I would consider shipping (particularly since it has a hard case) if the buyer would pay for shipping and should the risk if something goes wrong (or pay for UPS/FedEx insured shipping).

Glad to drive a few hours if needed to do a hand-off.

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/Sb1sdE8" target="_blank" target="_blank
Last edited by tmz1m on Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
Getzen 3047AFR Tenor Trombone
bcollins
bugler
bugler

Re: MW 182 F-Tuba, recent service, like new condition

Post by bcollins »

I owned one of these some years ago and really liked it as a solo tuba. It had a really strong low C on it and a very strong open low register. No standout intonation issues either. It didn’t feel like a 3/4 tuba. I remember recording the Vaughan Williams Concerto and listening to it and the low Fs during the 1st movement cadenza were so open and dark and strong without being punchy. The upper notes were very full and dark with just the right amount of brightness. All that to say these F tubas make great solo horns.
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tmz1m »

Thank you for the kind words, it really is a nice horn. I think it will some budding tuba performance major very happy - buy now, avoid the back to school rush! :tuba:
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
WileyHawkins0071997
lurker
lurker

Post by WileyHawkins0071997 »

Hi sir, I tried to respond earlier on this forum, but maybe I was not allowed to post yet. I am interested in buying the tuba. I live in Texas and go to a small university just north of Texas Tech.
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tmz1m »

WileyHawkins0071997 wrote:Hi sir, I tried to respond earlier on this forum, but maybe I was not allowed to post yet. I am interested in buying the tuba. I live in Texas and go to a small university just north of Texas Tech.
Sorry I missed this message, just sent you a PM. Feel free to respond or send me an email: tzimmerman @ google’s email service.
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tmz1m »

The prior owner told me this horn was previously owned by Chris Hall. He commented on my Facebook post and I’m reposting it below:

If you bought that horn from Chris Krueger, that was my old horn. Whoever gets this will be happy, if it’s that one. They all play great, but that one was the best I have played.

Bump - thanks!
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tmz1m »

:tuba: bump
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tmz1m »

Sold, thx!
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Re: SOLD - MW 182 F-Tuba, recent service, like new condition

Post by tmz1m »

Done-thx
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tmz1m »

I can’t really comment on any of what you said b/c I bought it to learn F (completely on a lark, largely b/c it was local), and decided I’m never going to commit the time needed for that right now, and likely not ever. I will say that the person who purchased it had Dan Perantoni (and another tuba prof) play it - as part of a brass camp both were at this week - and Mr. P recommended that the student buy it, which he did. Hopefully it gives the student good service and a long life.
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tmz1m »

I can’t comment much on the low C, B, etc... because I really didn’t play it much. But the few times I did, I didn’t notice those notes to be particularly problematic, though I was certainly on the lookout for it.

Re 191 - I love it, the best BBb tuba I’ve ever played. I think I’ve owned the full suite of Miraphones at some points 184, 186 (several - the best one was one I bought from Bloke a few years ago, wish I hadn’t sold that one), 1291, and now 191. I would love to try the Hagen but haven’t had the chance but don’t really see myself spending that much on a tuba going forward. I’ve been focusing more on bass trombone in the last few months and really enjoy playing that more than tuba (as a rank amateur).
Rath R9 Bass Trombone