Thinning the Herd - Quality Tubas in F&CC Amati SOLD

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Thinning the Herd - Quality Tubas in F&CC Amati SOLD

Post by bigtubby »

Moving back to BBb has nudged me toward thinning the herd. There are several Non-BBb horns that will be going on the block soon. A quick listing in case anyone anyone here might be interested, If interested please send me a message and I will get photos ready in the order of interest:

Yamaha YCB-661 5/4 5RV Euro style tuba in CC *SOLD*
Went to a deserving new home today.

Excellent original condition. Not really a Piggy clone, more like "Piggy inspired", it plays much better than any actual Piggy I have played. Some dings and normal finish wear, no big dents or signs of any in the past.
Bore: 20.5mm
Weight: 21.2#
Finish: Lacquer (Epoxy, whatever)
$3,250.00

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cerveny (Amati) ACB-481 4/4 tuba in CC *SOLD*
Found a new home.

This is one of the desirable "old style" (oval paddles) instruments. Finish wear and a few dings and scratches, no major dents. Valves and machinery rebuilt in 2016 (virtually no use since then), fast, smooth and quiet with excellent compression. Plays well at A=440. A quality, great playing CC tuba at an affordable price.
Bore: 20.2mm
Weight: 17.5#
Finish: Lacquer
$1,750.00

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cerveny 5/4-6/4 4RV Kaiser Helicon in F
ca Late 1920s, restored in Germany 2017, thankfully not machine buffed so faint signs of dent work remain. Valves and actuators rebuilt 2018. Plays very well at A=440, valves quick and quiet with excellent compression. This is a wonderful vintage instrument that looks and plays great.
Bore: 20.0mm
Weight: 16.4#
Finish: Raw Brass
$3,100.00

Cerveny 4/4 4RV Helicon in F
ca Early 1920s, Dent work and mechanical rebuild in 2017. This was my gig horn for a year and a half so a few minor dings and scratches. Plays very well at A=440, valves quick and quiet with excellent compression. Lightweight with an even and focused voice, plays easily down to pedal tones. Another wonderful vintage instrument that looks and plays great.
Bore: 17.9mm
Weight: 12.2#
$2,300.00

Lignatone 4/4 4RV tuba in F
ca early 1970s, Dent work and mechanical rebuild in 2017. Very clean with few minor dings and visible small dents in MTS and silver dollar sized spot in bell. Plays very well at A=440, valves quick and quiet with excellent compression. Small, lightweight horn.
Bore: 18.0mm
Weight: 12.8#
$1,750.00

NOTES:
All prices are USD + shipping. Reasonable offers will be entertained. I'm not interested in shipping the helicons but will drive a reasonable distance to meet Basically Western Lower Great Lakes; Erie, PA to Fort Wayne/Indy.

The three F horns have acquired a light patina since the photos were taken. They are all very even, some like patina, some like shiny - if you are interested and like shiny, the patina will go away easily with an application of brass polish.
Last edited by bigtubby on Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:03 am, edited 7 times in total.
American sailboats, airplanes, banjos, guitars and flutes ...
Italian motorcycles and cars ...
German cameras and tubas ...
Life is Good.
furiousseasons
bugler
bugler

Re: Thinning the Herd - Quality Tubas in F and CC

Post by furiousseasons »

Hello. Interested in the Amati CC. Do you have any video clips of it? How much to ship to Los Angeles? Thank you Jeff
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

I have a Kaiser F Cerveny like the monster size one here for sale. Mine is a little older and has lots of nickel silver trim with a bell wreath and huge medallion on the front. Cant tell from the pictures but on my horn all 4 valves are a different size and my valves are from the earlier time period where the valves were removed from the top. What makes this model pictured here really unique is how truly large it is, its bigger than most 5/4 BBb tubas and has a tremendous sound.

Maybe you can post a pic of the horn next to one of the CC tubas so interested buyers can get an idea of how large it really is? That is if it is the same as what I have.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Post by bigtubby »

mctuba1 wrote:I have a Kaiser F Cerveny like the monster size one here for sale. Mine is a little older and has lots of nickel silver trim with a bell wreath and huge medallion on the front. Cant tell from the pictures but on my horn all 4 valves are a different size and my valves are from the earlier time period where the valves were removed from the top. What makes this model pictured here really unique is how truly large it is, its bigger than most 5/4 BBb tubas and has a tremendous sound.

Maybe you can post a pic of the horn next to one of the CC tubas so interested buyers can get an idea of how large it really is? That is if it is the same as what I have.
I'll try to make the requested photo after the weekend.

On the Kaiser F listed here:
I purchased it as a 6/4 from Uwe Schneider (tubashop.de) and have subsequently learned that what he says is often not very accurate. That is why I listed it as 5/4-6/4 - that nomenclature is pretty fluid and I would call it more like 5/4, the bugle is roughly the size (in terms of branch diameters) of a King 1251/2351 but the bore is larger (.787" vs .687"). The bore on this is not graduated.

On ages/configurations:
Both of the F Helicons listed bear the oval "C.S.R." badges, which would indicate c1918 (End of WW-I) through c1938 at the latest Ithink. They are generally almost identical except for the size and the valves. The 4/4 has the "top loading" valves with no stop plates or pins - the stop mechanism is completely incorporated in the stop arm and S-link end. The kaiser has the "bottom loading" loading style that has become ubiquitous. From me informal research, I place the transition around 1925 which is the latest catalog I've been able to find that shows the "top loading" valves. Because of the vert close similarities in other constructions I place the 4/4 c. early 1920s and the Kaiser c. late 1920s. They make a really nice pair and I would probably entertain an offer on both of them as a pair.

I'm thinking that yours is one of those "super giant" horns - is it very ornate and old? I have an Eb tuba that is ginormous - 42.5" long and easily as big as most BBb Kaiser/BAT horns. It has the large parallelogram badge which I think is turn of the century or earlier (almost certainly pre-1918). What style (and location - Bohmen; C.S.R. etc.) is on your Kaiser?

The valves and machinery are beautifully engraved and the valves are "roller" or "side" valves:

The other Cerveny tuba I own with the parallelogram badge is my Tornister and it "feels" to me that this might be very early 20th Century but that is only a hunch. The Tornister and the Eb monster both have serial numbers stamped in the inlet ferrule of the first valve.
Life is Good.
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Post by bigtubby »

furiousseasons wrote:Hello. Interested in the Amati CC. Do you have any video clips of it? How much to ship to Los Angeles? Thank you Jeff
No videos, will try to work up a shipping quote this evening. Thanks.
Life is Good.
furiousseasons
bugler
bugler

Post by furiousseasons »

Thank you
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Post by bigtubby »

furiousseasons wrote:Thank you
Sorry, tractor repairs turned into a rabbit hole so won't happen tonight. Will make every attempt in the morning ...
Life is Good.
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Post by bigtubby »

furiousseasons wrote:Hello. Interested in the Amati CC. Do you have any video clips of it? How much to ship to Los Angeles? Thank you Jeff
Looks like:
$160.00 UPS Ground
$169.00 FedEx Ground
$200.00 USPS Ground

If one of these works, please send me a PM and we can make arrangements.
Life is Good.
furiousseasons
bugler
bugler

Post by furiousseasons »

Going to PM you. Thanks
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Thinning the Herd - Quality Tubas in F and CC [PRICE DRO

Post by bigtubby »

Bump for price drops.
Life is Good.
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Thinning the Herd-Quality Tubas in F & CC YCB-661 Availa

Post by bigtubby »

Financing for the fellow for whom I was holding the Yamaha YCB-661 never materialized and so it is still available. As bind9 likes to say: "sending notifies" to the others who had expressed interest.
Life is Good.
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Thinning the Herd - Quality Tubas in F&CC YCB661 SOLD

Post by bigtubby »

Bump - Yamaha gone but other quality instruments still available.
Life is Good.
Big Toot
bugler
bugler

Post by Big Toot »

bigtubby wrote:Bump - Yamaha gone but other quality instruments still available.
Question, for I am easily confused. Is the top picture that of the CC Cerveny for $1750?
New tubist. Ex-euphoniumistststst...
No, wait. Euphoniumist once again... Damn, it's hard to keep up.
MACK Brass EU1150S
Amati ABB-221
Musikwissenschaft.
Composer for all instruments and ensembles.
Eaton Community Band.
Richmond Jazz Orchestra.
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Post by bigtubby »

Big Toot wrote:
bigtubby wrote:Bump - Yamaha gone but other quality instruments still available.
Question, for I am easily confused. Is the top picture that of the CC Cerveny for $1750?
Yes, captions below photos.

As it happens, I will be playing in Dayton tomorrow (Sunday 28 July 2019) and can bring along anything you might be interested in seeing/playing.

If you would like to meet please send me a PM and we can make arrangements.
Life is Good.
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Thinning the Herd - Quality Tubas in F&CC Amati SOLD

Post by bigtubby »

Both CC tubas have been sold but some great F horns still available.
Life is Good.