SOLD -- Hirsbrunner BBb -- THANK YOU ALL

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
PRO
bugler
bugler

SOLD -- Hirsbrunner BBb -- THANK YOU ALL

Post by PRO »

Early 1980's Hirsbrunner HB192 BBb 4-rotary in superb condition with only the most minimal signs of use. Bright silver plating is 100%. All slides pull smoothly. The valves are well-adjusted and nearly noiseless. Very resonant. Excellent intonation. Excellent low end and very open (not pinched) at the high end. Asking $8200 for a like-new instrument that is never in stock online.
IMG_2930 -- SMALL.jpg
Includes original hardshell case in average condition. Handle, hinges, and latches all good. The usual duct tape on the outside. The usual tearing of the inside liner where there has been contact with the valve mechanism. It has obviously done its job in protecting the horn.

Please see photos at
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n1v2sevekm21 ... YUsta?dl=0" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Located in Hackettstown, NJ. Will ship to CONUS only via Greyhound only, as long as the buyer pays packing and shipping.

Please contact Paul at phone 908-850-1636 or email proscientific AT verizon DOT net. I do not PM.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PRO on Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
highsierra
bugler
bugler

Re: FS -- Hirsbrunner BBb

Post by highsierra »

Beautiful!
Russ Dickman
Rudolf Meinl RM50 CC
Rudolf Meinl 4345 Rotary CC
Miraphone 283 "Norwegian Star"
http://www.renophil.com
fenne1ca
3 valves
3 valves

Post by fenne1ca »

Bump for what is assuredly a quality horn. Paul is a delight to do business with, and a straight shooter with regards to the quality and condition of his for-sale horns. I recent bought a lovely York Monster Eb from him, and Paul made every aspect of buying and shipping the horn totally worry-free. If this horn is for you, you couldn't buy it from a nicer guy!
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon
PRO
bugler
bugler

Post by PRO »

Several interested parties have suggested I put a photo of the horn in the first posting of this thread. Done. Thank you all for the suggestion.

In accordance with TubeNet guidelines, the photo is small (150MB). For photos that you can enlarge for inspection, please see the DropBox link
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n1v2sevekm21 ... YUsta?dl=0" target="_blank
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

I had the opportunity to play this horn yesterday. Very nice. Appearance is excellent for an instrument of its age. Response is uniform from low to high, including a good pedal Bb. Instrument is in tune with itself. Has some resistance but is not pinched. I wouldn't say the sound is dark or bright; somewhere in between. I prefer pistons, so this horn is not really my thing, but for a player who likes rotary and needs a 4/4 tuba, seems like a really excellent choice.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
Michael Grant
bugler
bugler

Post by Michael Grant »

One would be hard pressed to find a better BBb. Beautiful horns and this one looks to be in excellent shape.
Michael Grant
Wessex HB24 BBb Helicon
King 2341
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Michael Grant wrote:One would be hard pressed to find a better BBb. Beautiful horns and this one looks to be in excellent shape.
If this was in CC, it would have sold right away! This BBb looks great!
PRO
bugler
bugler

Post by PRO »

I felt extremely envervated beginning Sun 22 June. Was admitted to hospital on Friday the 29th with a serious case of pneumonia induced by legionella -- "Legionaires Disease". (Apparently north New Jersey is a "Legionaires" hotspot.) Discharged from hospital late afternoon Wednesday 03 July. Now home recuperating. Just turned on email this morning for the first time in 3 wks.

My apologies to the several people who emailed about the Hirsbrunner since 22 June. Will contact you as soon as I am able. Thank you for your patience. Paul.
PRO
bugler
bugler

Post by PRO »

Hi Doc, Thanks for your well-wishes. Paul.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

+1 -- hope you are on the mend, and have a full recovery. Is the tuba sanitary/clean from your illness?
PRO
bugler
bugler

Post by PRO »

Thanks, Bort. Good point.

On the one hand, I have not played the instrument since about the beginning of June, when I took it out of its case for lubrication; my incubation period started about June 15th. Second, legionella is not contagious.

On the other hand, always a good idea to flush out a new-to-you instrument. I always do, and something always comes out -- pens, pencils, dustballs, wads of paper, and (one time) a dead mouse. I'm sure some of us have seen worse.

Thanks again.
Paul.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Good to know! :tuba:
PRO
bugler
bugler

Post by PRO »

Happy to report that my physician says I am now cured of the legionella.

I already mentioned that I have not played the horn since very early June, well before I was exposed to the illness. Someone replied, “Good to know”. Several people point out that the phrase “Good to know” is often used sarcastically, or to indicate skepticism or disbelief. They kindly suggested that I take steps to prove that the horn is clean.

Accordingly, I spoke with a long-time friend who is a (retired) US Navy cardiologist. We discussed ways to kill legionella bacteria. He said the simplest and least expensive way is simply to raise their temperature above 60°C (140°F) for a few seconds. He referred me to several websites, of which the least technical is https://www.haspod.com/blog/health/legi ... emperature" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank. He said chemical treatments that are used industrially (e.g., chlorine, propylene glycol, antiseptic soap, etc) require high concentrations, are expensive, and are less effective than boiling water.

Therefore, I first made tests that confirmed that boiling water would not damage the plating. Then I introduced water at near-boiling temp (205°F) through the leadpipe and throughout the bore. The water came out of the bell end at a temperature of 175°F. This process was repeated thrice. (There was indeed no damage to the plating. I relubricated the valves and slides with Hetman’s.)

I respectfully ask that people who respond to this (and any) post consider the effect of their comments and refrain from making gratuitous remarks.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Paul, I apologize if my comment had some unintentional effects. I literally meant, that it was good to know that the horn is clean, and that it wouldn't have been contagious anyway.

In a time when so many people are so sarcastic all the time... I really didn't mean it like that, and just thought it was good news to have learned that. I'll try to be more careful about these things.

Two ending thoughts -- very glad you have recovered, and someone needs to buy this beautiful tuba!
PRO
bugler
bugler

Post by PRO »

bort, Thank you very much. This beautiful tuba does deserve a loving new home. Paul.
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

Bump for a friend and a fine instrument.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
PRO
bugler
bugler

Post by PRO »

According to "buzzalot" emails, two people PM'd me yesterday about the Hirsbrunner.

Respectful reminder -- I do not PM.

Please email at proscientific AT verizon DOT net, else phone at 90eight-85zero-163six.

Thank you kindly!
Paul.
PRO
bugler
bugler

Post by PRO »

This ad has been down to page 4 and still averaging about 7 hits per day. Obviously one or more people are keeping tabs on it. Thank you for your interest. Please feel free to contact me. I don't bite. P.
Scottuba
lurker
lurker

Post by Scottuba »

It's hard to believe the condition this tuba is in. It looks like it has hardly been out of the case since the early 80's. My question is, How do you determine the value for insurance purposes on an instrument like this that is handmade from the early 80's and cannot be replaced? Hopefully the new owner will maintain it in this condition while using it , so that it will continue to appreciate in the future.
Scottuba
lurker
lurker

Post by Scottuba »

II had a dream about this horn last night !!! Well actually a horn exactly like this that I played on a few years ago. It belonged to an Army Reserve Band out of Alabama. Anyway the band director I know that had this in his bandroom had recently gotten it and asked me to try it . The response ease of playing and Tone were just incredible. No wonder back when they came out , they were called "The Rolls Royce of Tubas"