King sousaphone - fixed last night

Repair and modification discussion
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Re: King sousaphone - fixed last night

Post by roweenie »

Nice job (no surprise), bloke.

It's sad to think that once back in circulation, the beauty likely won't last :cry:
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

bloke wrote:no more pictures...
I keep telling myself, "next project, I'll take more pictures" - unfortunately, I don't have the discipline to follow through.

I actually admire those of you who can accomplish this :tuba:
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
The Brute Squad
bugler
bugler

Post by The Brute Squad »

roweenie wrote:I keep telling myself, "next project, I'll take more pictures" - unfortunately, I don't have the discipline to follow through.

I actually admire those of you who can accomplish this :tuba:
I probably have the opposite problem: no problem taking pictures, don't have the discipline to do any repair projects. :mrgreen:

I admire more those of you with the skill and discipline to do that.
Joe K

Player of tuba, taker of photos, breaker of things (mostly software)

Miraphone 181 F w/ GW Matanuska/Yamaha John Griffiths
Kalison Daryl Smith w/ Blokepiece (#2 32.6, Orchestra Grand Cup, Symphony American shank)
The Brute Squad
bugler
bugler

Post by The Brute Squad »

bloke wrote:I only do it for filthy lucre
Even doing it for the filthy lucre. I could never fix things for a living. I'm much more adept at breaking them. :twisted:
Joe K

Player of tuba, taker of photos, breaker of things (mostly software)

Miraphone 181 F w/ GW Matanuska/Yamaha John Griffiths
Kalison Daryl Smith w/ Blokepiece (#2 32.6, Orchestra Grand Cup, Symphony American shank)
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

Do those stick on guard wires provide any protection at all? Are they stiff enough to do anything to prevent damage?
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Nice job as always bloke! That reminds me of way back in high school (so many memories from that time) when the band director had two old H.N. White-era King sousas -- a King 1250 and a 1270 'Giant' sousa refurbished/overhauled, complete with de-denting and new silverplating. Long story short, the upperclassmen got first dibs on the newly-refurbished King sousas. We were doing a space-theme show that year (E.T., Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.) where we had to run over to the frontline, put our sousas down quick, put on our 'alien' masks, and play cymbals for a short tune. The player on the King Giant kept putting his sousa down too hard every time -- I could hear the buckling of the brass every time he put it down hard on the ground. The bottom bow kept getting more and more crushed in until it was pretty much crushed in halfway and completely out of round. I got to play that sousa after he graduated, and I thought it played and sounded great, even with the crushed in bottom bow. I took it to the "fix it man" so he could re-solder the wire at the top of the female bell tenon because it kept coming loose. He was called "Dan the fix-it man" :roll: who did on the spot repairs free for the band. He blamed me for the caved-in bottom bow because he never noticed it until I had that sousa :roll: I told him it was already like that from the previous player, but he stated that the bottom bow wasn't like that before :roll:
Kinda pissed me off that old fart thought I did it, even though I was always carefull with any sousa I was playing :!:
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Just remembered to respond to this.....
bloke wrote:If he was the one who did the overhauls, I bet (trying to get the old concrete/asphalt scratches out of the bottom bow) it was HIM who buffed the CRAP out of that second branch (resulting in wall thickness similar to that found with the current-era King/Conn sousaphones)...so - in reality - it was HIS d@mn fault. :|
The band director (RIP) sent those sousas off to "the Midwest" (probably Borodi Music?) to be overhauled during the summer, right before my freshman year of high school. "Dan the fix-it man" was just a local guy doing repairs on-the-spot for the school. The local repair guy in town (who was really good, and has since moved his way up in a well-known music company) stated that Dan brought in many repairs to him because he basically f*cked up those repairs :lol: One of the sousas had a large crease taken out of the bell, complete with deep scarring. I asked one of the other sousa players how it happened, and he told me that Dan didn't set up the sousa securely on the wall-mount, and the sousa fell to the floor, so he had to repair that large crease. Did I mention how Dan had to re-solder the bell wire a couple times? That was all almost 25 years ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday. Yeah, Dan the fix-it man was, um, something else.... :roll:
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

This kinda crap never happened to our fiberglass Sousas...
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.