OC CL: Vintage Conn BBb

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Michael Grant
bugler
bugler

Re: OC CL: Vintage Conn BBb

Post by Michael Grant »

That is really sweet. I wonder how big it is? 3/4? 4/4? What would it compare to today? Piggy? 5J? That Getzen 50 Canadian Brass horn? I would also love to play it.
Michael Grant
Wessex HB24 BBb Helicon
King 2341
davidgilbreath
bugler
bugler
Location: My Old Kentucky Home in Marietta, GA (or little England way beyond Wales)

Post by davidgilbreath »

bloke wrote:I'd love to play it...
Joe, you played the 3v top action version of this when I first brought the "mythical tuba" to you (which is now a 3v front action).
Michael Grant wrote:That is really sweet. I wonder how big it is? 3/4? 4/4? What would it compare to today? Piggy? 5J? That Getzen 50 Canadian Brass horn? I would also love to play it.
Michael, the following is quite probably more than you'll ever want to know.

This horn is very closely related to the Conn New Wonder "Monster BBb" and New Invention "Monster BBb" horns from c. 1913 to the late 1920's. Without the exact serial number, it's not possible to say the following is absolutely accurate.

The BBb's from this era range in size from 36"-38" in height, have a .734 bore, and weigh between 18-26+ lbs. depending upon the number of valves AND location of the valves. The top action versions are the lightest of all the configurations. Bell sizes varied between 17.5"-22", with the later versions (c.1919-late 1920's) being sold with a fixed 22" bell. There is a twist to the story.

Sometime in the second decade of the 20th century, Conn decided to take on York as York tubas were making a serious dent in sales. Conn developed their own version of the York alloy and made some changes in these horns as well as making the Grand Orchestral from this alloy. Conn, using their version of the York alloy", began to offer 20" fixed bells and this specific alloy/bell combination made for a lighter weight horn. My 3v front action weighs 20.5 lbs whereas the regular Conn alloy 3V front-action horn (22" bell) weighed 22 lbs. The 20" bell is the key and from the picture it sure looks like it has that sized bell. While not all 20" versions were made of the Conn special alloy, the lighter weight with this specific bell is the giveaway.

This is my Conn with my 1938 York BBb 4V 5/4 (recording bell is not pictured). These two horns measure 37"-37.5" tall and the York (.750 bore) weighs 22 lbs.
". . . and madly he played . . . "
David Gilbreath
1925 Conn New Wonder Monster Front Action BBb
c. 1938 York 716 BBb 4v

mariettapopsorchestra.org
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

[Sigh!] If I were 20 years younger and playing more tuba than I am now, that would go so well with my Bessophone!
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.