Kevin Specht
Keep on Tubaing
Tubaing
4 valves
4 valves

Re: new model Sellmansberger $150 / $200 mouthpieces

Post by Tubaing »

bloke wrote:
Tubaing wrote:Why not have a cheaper-yet version by not silver plating the brass part :shock:
I'd like to explore making the under-assembly of Lexan.
That sounds awesome!
Kevin Specht
Keep on Tubaing
Big Toot
bugler
bugler

Post by Big Toot »

bloke wrote:To me the only thing - material-wise - that makes stainless steel superior is wear-and-tear of the RIM:

Stainless steel's density is about the same as brass, it requires no coating to prevent tarnish, most users are not allergic to stainless steel (though someone can be found who is allergic to just about any given substance), and (regardless of what some choose to believe) the material and wall thickness of a mouthpiece has nothing whatsoever to do with the sound produced. The only things that matter are the various inner dimensions (which certainly include the rim surface contour), and (if some player plays better - in their own view - with a more-scratched or more-smooth rim surface), the amount of "grabbiness" of a rim surface. Basically, stainless steel rims remain (defacto: forever) as smooth an as shiny as brand-new plated-brass mouthpiece rims.
I've often wondered about that very thing. Why aren't SS mouthpieces more common? They would be cheaper than silver-plated ones, I would think. Is it just tradition? Or the idea that silver over brass sounds better?
New tubist. Ex-euphoniumistststst...
No, wait. Euphoniumist once again... Damn, it's hard to keep up.
MACK Brass EU1150S
Amati ABB-221
Musikwissenschaft.
Composer for all instruments and ensembles.
Eaton Community Band.
Richmond Jazz Orchestra.
Dan Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Dan Tuba »

I would definitely be interested in a solid Lexan version. Lexan mouthpieces offer the least amount of irritation to my face. It would be really interesting to experiment with making the all Lexan version with a little more mass. I love my Kelly Mouthpieces, in particular the 24AW and KT50, however I have often wondered what they would sound like if they were a little "heavier."
Conn 25J
Holton 3+1 "Monster" EEb
Wessex XL
Giddings and Kelly Mouthpieces
Dan Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Dan Tuba »

bloke wrote:
Dan Tuba wrote:I have often wondered what they would sound like if they were a little "heavier."
Well...I've already "weighed" in on my prediction of your findings: nix

Part of wall thickness dimension of my Symphony" cup component is little more than the thickness of the sheet brass of which instruments are fabricated. :|

advantage...??
disadvantage...??
none...other than "cheaper to mail" and "easier on the thigh muscles" :arrow: :idea:

Again, bulk, weight, and material choices (other than how they can affect the finish on the rim surface...and sure: surface finish durability) are humbug.
I recently experimented with the Stainless steel KT50 and the Lexan KT50. Although far from "scientific," the recordings I made both individually and with a group yielded roughly the same result/product. So...you are probably right :tuba:
Conn 25J
Holton 3+1 "Monster" EEb
Wessex XL
Giddings and Kelly Mouthpieces
peterbas
bugler
bugler

Post by peterbas »

deleted
Last edited by peterbas on Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tubacorbin
bugler
bugler

Post by tubacorbin »

I have one of these and it's great! The 32.9 rim is something I always wanted as I felt 33.2 was a little big and the 32.6 a little small. For me, it's the best playing Blokepiece I've owned. I don't know if it's just having the rim size I like or if the brass makes a difference, but it's really nice.