Chairs for Tuba playing, How many take their own?

The bulk of the musical talk
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Chairs for Tuba playing, How many take their own?

Post by Radar »

Last night I played a longish outdoor concert. The total time seated was about 2 hours seated in the typical folding chair without a break. At the end of about the first hour my legs were asleep and they were killing me. I readjusted as much as I could between numbers but it was really uncomfortable for me. I am seriously considering starting to bring the drum throne I use to rehearse on at home to gigs like this, but the idea of carrying one more thing doesn't really appeal to me either. Do any of you bring your own stool or chair to gigs, how common is it?
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Chairs for Tuba playing, How many take their own?

Post by Bill Troiano »

I agree with the idea of not wanting to carry another item. I know Al Baer used to bring a chair with him. He told me he brought his chair to his past auditions to keep everything the same as far as familiarity, and to keep as many things as possible the same as if he was practicing. When I used to go to NY Phil concerts, his chair was different from the others on the stage.
peter birch
4 valves
4 valves

Post by peter birch »

I have a folding keyboard bench, it doesn't take utoo much room in my car, and is better than a lot of chairs in the venues we play
courtois 181 EEb
PT24+
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

One of the tuba players I play with brings her tuba stand and her chair everywhere. Her chair is actually a drum "throne" and it works very well for her, due to being very height adjustable. Also keeping the weight off her legs is key.

Another tuba player I work with does not have a tuba stand, and plays a big Yamaha 321 BBb tuba. Got rid of his tuba stand because he was tired of bring in it. He's ALWAYS having problems keeping his horn where he wants it. Even got some sticky rubber pads to put on the bottom bow to give it more grip on the fabric of his pants, and sometimes puts it on the corner of the standard HS orchestra style chairs we have. I've suggested he pick up a nice tuba stand or a better chair many times, but nope. So he continues to have issues with comfort and keeping the tuba steady.

I would say, my first example is definitely more well thought out.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
Z-Tuba Dude
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Z-Tuba Dude »

For outdoor gigs I now bring my own folding chair (a very comfy plastic chair that I bought at COSTCO), because you never know what kind of chairs will be supplied at the venue (not being the smallest member of the band). The worst are those ubiquitous little white folding chairs for graduations.

I have also started using a Baltimore Brass stand for my 3 (upright) valve Martin, and it makes playing it easier. Great horn! Just a little unwieldy.
Last edited by Z-Tuba Dude on Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

bloke wrote:
tbonesullivan wrote:One of the tuba players I play with brings her tuba stand and her chair everywhere. Her chair is actually a drum "throne" and it works very well for her, due to being very height adjustable. Also keeping the weight off her legs is key.

Another tuba player I work with does not have a tuba stand, and plays a big Yamaha 321 BBb tuba. Got rid of his tuba stand because he was tired of bring in it. He's ALWAYS having problems keeping his horn where he wants it. Even got some sticky rubber pads to put on the bottom bow to give it more grip on the fabric of his pants, and sometimes puts it on the corner of the standard HS orchestra style chairs we have. I've suggested he pick up a nice tuba stand or a better chair many times, but nope. So he continues to have issues with comfort and keeping the tuba steady.

Top-action tubas are often best managed by resting them on top of the left thigh...particularly those with low-slung mouthpipe tubes...YBB-321, being an example of this.
Agreed. Right now, I'm using a top loading horn and I have to make sure I'm far enough away from my band mate. I sit to his left and he's using a 186 . We clanged bells lightly this week. I moved over about a foot.

I am getting a 1241 soon (needs to be serviced) and gave it a test drive during band practice. I like it. However, I was having a really hard time getting it and keeping it in just the right position to play. Right on top of my thigh was a little too high and I had a hard time holding it right in the sweet spot. When I got home, I tried it with a BB Tuba stand and it was much better. Mouthpiece stays at the right spot! I'm going use the stand. One of the other two tubists in the band uses a thick seat cushion to get his height where he wants it. He's happy.
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

The Big Ben wrote:
bloke wrote:
tbonesullivan wrote:One of the tuba players I play with brings her tuba stand and her chair everywhere. Her chair is actually a drum "throne" and it works very well for her, due to being very height adjustable. Also keeping the weight off her legs is key.

Top-action tubas are often best managed by resting them on top of the left thigh...particularly those with low-slung mouthpipe tubes...YBB-321, being an example of this.
Agreed. Right now, I'm using a top loading horn and I have to make sure I'm far enough away from my band mate. I sit to his left and he's using a 186 . We clanged bells lightly this week. I moved over about a foot.

I am getting a 1241 soon (needs to be serviced) and gave it a test drive during band practice. I like it. However, I was having a really hard time getting it and keeping it in just the right position to play. Right on top of my thigh was a little too high and I had a hard time holding it right in the sweet spot. When I got home, I tried it with a BB Tuba stand and it was much better. Mouthpiece stays at the right spot! I'm going use the stand. One of the other two tubists in the band uses a thick seat cushion to get his height where he wants it. He's happy.
A tuba stand with a 1240 works very well and a seat cushion as well. I went to a stand after a decades old shoulder injury did not allow me to have the 1240 in its usual position. I am very pleased with the above arrangement.
Last edited by roughrider on Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
Paul Scott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Paul Scott »

I carry a Baltimore Brass stand with me at all times, fitted with a clamp to support my extra-heavy side action Martin 4-v BBb. I find that I can deal with just about any chair with this setup. For gigs that I feel are "critical" I'll bring a chair from home that I'm comfortable with. But lately I find that the stand solves all problems.
Adjunct Tuba Professor
William Paterson University
Wayne, NJ
Birdo
lurker
lurker

Post by Birdo »

If I may lift the mask a little, I was going to speak of the same person. She just sets up and rarely adjusts anything afterwards.

I’m in a small handful of groups but play tuba for only one of them. I definitely have a stand. The horn has to sit at around seat level if not a tiny bit lower so resting it on legs isn’t really an option. I don’t have a personal chair yet, but I’m teetering on the edge of it. The rehearsal space has really good chairs (for me) so it’s easy to forget. Then concert season happens and every week is a different chair to adjust the stand to...including the white ones.
bigboymusic
3 valves
3 valves

Post by bigboymusic »

Indoors, I spent my own $$ on the nice padded Wenger chair (cello chair) For years I couldn't imagine not holding the horn in my lap, but age has converted me to setting it on the corner.... Outside I like the idea of a folding piano bench, but will that work in a grass situation???
Paul Weissenborn
St. Joseph Symphony Orchestra (MO)
Spirit of Independence Band
SJSO Quintet
Alex 163 CC
YEB 321S
Mark

Post by Mark »

A cello cushion might also work.
Yane
bugler
bugler

Post by Yane »

Having arrived at an age where the wrong chair can mean a backache the morning after the gig, I have a folding keyboard bench I carry as security if I don’t know the venue’s chairs. The folding bench is also great for outdoor gigs, the legs are less likely to sink into the ground than a folding chair’s legs.
David

King 1241, B&H Eb, Sterling Euph, King 1250
Lake Murray Symphony; Columbia Community Concert Band; Capitol Brass; Die Lustigen Muzikanten; Seed and Feed Marching Abominable
West Columbia, SC
Tromboken14
lurker
lurker

Post by Tromboken14 »

Have you tried using a tuba rest? I use one religously! It folds up, is adjustable over a large range, has a little nylon case and fits in the bell. Adds a little weight to your gig bag, but man, it saves your legs and lap! Best $70.00 I ever spent!
Charlie C Chowder
bugler
bugler

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

I have a sit cushion, a folding piano bench, and a tuba stand. I even have a stand for the tuba for when I am standing. I am short, fat and old, with a bat that weights 32 lbs. Use them for my other tubas as well. Cushion and bench stay in the car as I use them with other instruments. Have a sousaphone chair as well. I usually can make it in one trip, but not to lazy to make two. I want to play my best, and comfort it a big part of that.

Charlie C. Chowder
tubapix
bugler
bugler

Post by tubapix »

I have given serious consideration to getting a comfortable and adjustable office chair and removing the back. With a well-padded seat and the ability to move around, it could be a winner.
1989 Yamaha YBB 641 (4R)
1938 King 1236 Symphony Eb (4P) w/Monster Bell
1927 Buescher Eb Tuba
1940 Pan American 58C Eb Alto Horn
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

Tromboken14 wrote:Have you tried using a tuba rest? I use one religously! It folds up, is adjustable over a large range, has a little nylon case and fits in the bell. Adds a little weight to your gig bag, but man, it saves your legs and lap! Best $70.00 I ever spent!
Baltimore Brass makes a more "robust" version of the Tuba rest. I unfortunately haven't compared them side by side.

https://www.baltimorebrass.net/index.php?cat=11" target="_blank
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Does anyone know of a lightweight, flat-seated folding chair with an extended front? It seems to me that it would make life easier for a lot of people.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Charlie C Chowder
bugler
bugler

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

I reupholstered a wide folding piano bench with a thicker pad and then turned it sideways to set my tuba on as I straddled it. Works great for a cello bench as well. Add or remove padding as needed for the tuba height. Not as versatile as a stand if you have multiple tubas.

C.C.C.
Lamminator
bugler
bugler

Post by Lamminator »

https://www.amazon.com/bonmedico-Orthop ... =8-11&th=1" target="_blank" target="_blank

I have used this seat cushion for 4 months and it’s a back saver. No matter what seat your on the cushion gives you the support you need. Highly recommend. I went for large size!
Luft Luft Luft
Wessex Presence CC
Wessex British F
Meinl Weston 2040/5
ZO Thunderbird Custom Bflat
Besson 981 (Sold)
Fafner 195 (Sold)
Et al
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Radar »

Thanks for the input, I do use a Tuba rest but that didn't keep the metal folding chair from cutting off my circulation. I think I will try bringing a pad for the seat first rather than lugging a chair. That seems like a less botherson item to pack and carry.
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H