Making an Old Trumpet Left-Handed

Repair and modification discussion
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Re: Making an Old Trumpet Left-Handed

Post by windshieldbug »

Not knowing much, but why not just move the pinky rest to the bell ala flugelhorn, and then see what needs to be bent (like 3rd ring/first saddle)?
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

I hear ya.
BTW, that Mirafone H1 mp works a treat in my little horn, very much the way I remember it. Thanks! :D
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

I rarely play Bb trumpet, so I had to dig through the closet to find my B&S Bb. I have rather large hands so what I experienced in holding the horn probably doesn't apply to your young man. I wrapped my right hand fingers around the valve casing underneath the lead pipe and found that my right thumb slips right into the first valve saddle hook, and my right third finger slips right into the circle on the third valve slide. The second valve tubing pushes on the palm of my right hand. The left hand floats freely to operate the pistons and possibly could benefit from the finger hook being relocated from the leadpipe directly across to the bell. Good luck to you in helping this youngster. Tis a very nice thing you are doing.

Ace
Minkrott
bugler
bugler

Post by Minkrott »

Googled it and found this. Interesting there is no good picture of the left side.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_tr_50 ... _lefth.htm" target="_blank
King 2341 New Style
King 2341 Recording Bell
GRBIC 1907 Eb
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Have you considered having the boy learn French horn? He could rest the bell on his right thigh and put his right hand in the bell. The horn could be stabilized and valves worked with the left hand. He would not have to hold up a trumpet. "Traditionally" kids were started out on a smaller, lighter Bb horn. The conical mouthpiece would be harder to learn than a bowl-shaped trumpet/cornet mouthpiece but maybe there is something in the way of a French horn MP which would be easier for a beginner.

Just an idea. It certainly would be easier to make a French horn playable than recraft a trumpet. A single F or Bb horn is probably sitting unused somewhere.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

the elephant wrote:Hey, I have a very old C rotary trumpet here. I could purchase parts and convert some stuff I have here to make him a Bb rotary trumpet for the left hand using measurements from my horn.
OK, if trumpet is what the boy wants, the trumpet is what it shall be.

I was thinking of a rotary trumpet conversion before I suggested the French horn. If you already have some idea how it can be done, that a is good, Personally, I think that is a good direction. Hope it works out and the boy has a good time. Beginning musicians need to have a good time making music.