Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
saxophyte
bugler
bugler

Post by saxophyte »

Last edited by saxophyte on Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Big Toot
bugler
bugler

Re: Martin Mammoth Tuba

Post by Big Toot »

EDIT
The horn looks amazing, though.
Last edited by Big Toot on Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New tubist. Ex-euphoniumistststst...
No, wait. Euphoniumist once again... Damn, it's hard to keep up.
MACK Brass EU1150S
Amati ABB-221
Musikwissenschaft.
Composer for all instruments and ensembles.
Eaton Community Band.
Richmond Jazz Orchestra.
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

I wonder how a bell from ~1935 ended up on a horn from ~1960. Interesting story on this horn if the description is to be believed, as I understand it it was a new old stock horn that sat in storage somewhere in the Martin factory til it was bought out by LeBlanc. I'd also like to know the story behind that custom tuning bit. Pretty cool that there are custom cases, too.

Sidenote: Been seeing several Martins popping up lately which is really exciting. There was a gorgeous silver one with a gold wash bell that popped up on Facebook marketplace in Michigan earlier this week for a stupid low price. It was up for less than a day, and I called to inquire about it, only to find it had sold just an hour prior :cry: . There's also a Martin medium sousa up on ebay right now as well that looks to be in pretty good shape too FYI.

Still holding out for a front-action Mammoth, personally. If anyone out there has one: Shut up and take my money! :lol:
"Some men are macho men. Others are Martin men"

It's that word "handcraft"...
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

It's in beautiful shape BUT from what I understand Martin stopped production around 1959. I've only seen/tried one other with a 26 inch bell and it was really woofy. But with the more common 24 inch bell front it was that big clear Martin sound. The bell almost seems to have a sousaphone angle although it is a "Handcraft". I bought four mammoths from Vince years ago. They were all from Baldwin Wallace college. My plan was to find homes for three of them and keep the fourth for myself. Three were "Handcraft" and they all looked the same but the newer one didn't have the sound. So this is very likely a late one with an earlier bell. Who knows why? But with the current setup I don't think, based on my experience, it will sound or play as great as a Martin should. Kanstul made me an upright bell for 1100 bucks that sounded fantastic but I don't know if that will be an option with the new company. They are amazing instruments when they're right. Ed
The Singing Whale
reastman1952
lurker
lurker

Re: *

Post by reastman1952 »

Hoping this reaches the Martin group,
I was on about 6 years ago with questions regarding my great grandfather's Cerveny. Happy to say that it was restored and being played daily now. 2 days ago I was asked if I wanted my great uncle's sousaphone so I said sure! I have it with me now and have been trying to ID it. It's a Martin Handcraft, serial number 65854, in "rugged" shape but workable with care. Engraving states Martin Handcraft Elkhart, Indiana. I'm assuming this is from about 1926. I've seen several references to Mammoth and recording bell but am curious as to what I have. Is it a Mammoth or a Medium, and how do I tell? The bell measures 24" and collar is 6-1/2". Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks!
Rich Eastman