Holton BBb

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
sugawi
3 valves
3 valves

Holton BBb

Post by sugawi »

roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Holton BBb

Post by roweenie »

Looks like a Couesnon stencil.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

Yep, Couesnon origin for sure. Still appears to be in good cosmetic shape. Most of these I find are beat to $#!* :(
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
pbone3b
lurker
lurker

Post by pbone3b »

I just bought this.
The listing said Bb, but it is, in fact, an Eb, but I've decided to take it anyway. I'm a trombonist who is fairly proficient on Euphonium, looking for my first tuba.
Mistake?
Last edited by pbone3b on Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You blow in this end of the trombone,
and sound comes out the other end and
disrupts the cosmos."
Roswell Rudd

Check out Pat's music
http://pbone.org
pbone3b
lurker
lurker

Post by pbone3b »

Thanks!
disrupts the cosmos."
Roswell Rudd

Check out Pat's music
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

pbone3b wrote:Mistake?
You never know, but at worst it isn't a super expensive mistake. If you're implying it's Eb, I think you're right there. If you get serious about playing Eb, I expect you'd eventually want something with more valves, but (as you probably already know) you'll be able to play the missing notes as if you had another register down there - so Ab below the conventional range is "open", G is 2nd valve etc. They just won't have as nice a tonal focus as the real thing.
pbone3b
lurker
lurker

Post by pbone3b »

Donn wrote: ... but (as you probably already know) you'll be able to play the missing notes as if you had another register down there - so Ab below the conventional range is "open", G is 2nd valve etc. They just won't have as nice a tonal focus as the real thing.
It's been almost 2 months, but I finally found that Low Ab partial you were referring to!
Thanks Again!
disrupts the cosmos."
Roswell Rudd

Check out Pat's music
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

I think the acoustic explanation is a mystery, but that range is well known in the tuba scene as "false tones." I understand that some players can get a similar anomalous low register on the trombone - but not in the same place! That is, it doesn't come out a fourth above the pedal octave, but some other interval that I misremember. I couldn't find any such thing, myself.
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

Donn wrote:I think the acoustic explanation is a mystery, but that range is well known in the tuba scene as "false tones." I understand that some players can get a similar anomalous low register on the trombone - but not in the same place! That is, it doesn't come out a fourth above the pedal octave, but some other interval that I misremember. I couldn't find any such thing, myself.
On trombone, I just imagined that I was using a trigger (4th valve in tuba speak) and used those same positions. Low Eb = b3rd, etc.

The trombone false tones are definitely less solid than the tuba ones, IMO. And, at least for me, the sousaphone false tones are more solid than lap tuba false tones. I’m sure certain horns/tapers lend themselves to false tones better than others. And I’m just as sure that the TNFJ has lots of opinions on that!
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Kirley wrote: And, at least for me, the sousaphone false tones are more solid than lap tuba false tones.
Many sousa/tuba players will say the same thing. The typical BBb sousaphone usually has excellent false tones - especially with the right mpc :tuba: