Tuba Christmas in Twin Cities

performances, conferences, auditions, etc
Nigel
lurker
lurker

Tuba Christmas in Twin Cities

Post by Nigel »

Has anyone heard about tuba Christmas in Minneapolis/St. Paul? It hasn't shown up on the Tuba Christmas web site yet.

Nigel
Mackbrunner (Mack Brass 210L)
1920 Conn 34k raincatcher
1927 King Giant
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Tuba Christmas in Twin Cities

Post by bort »

I haven't heard anything official for 2019, but it's usually at like 4pm on the first Sunday in December at the Central Presbyterian Church in St. Paul.

It's a well-attended event both in terms of participants and audience. Not my favorite TC event (venue is too small and a seated-audience concert seems bizarre to me for a TC). I may try to find another one in the region this year to go to instead.

Or, if I stay out here long term, maybe I'll organize a Minneapolis Tuba Christmas, and St. Paul can keep theirs! :tuba:
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Brett,
YES to something in MPLS. I know of 2 churches that would be great places to perform (Diamond Lake Lutheran, All Saints Lutheran), or how about an outdoor event right on Nicollet Mall?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Nicollet would be awesome, but perhaps even hearty Minnesotans might not want to be outside for it? I guess you only need 4 people though... Or, you and I can just play duets out there, haha.

IDS seems like a good place too? Problem with Mpls and St Paul is the same... Not many people downtown on the weekends.

I bet either if those churches would work quite well though!
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

I’ve talked with Carol on several occasions trying to get her to consider a larger church venue. (My church in Woodbury would do nicely too.) She has been resistant to any change. The church likes us and the history of tuba Christmas in the twin cities is full of venues that just didn’t work out after a time or two. Yes, it is crowded but we do get a crowd that appreciates us. I always take a helicon or sousaphone because it’s easier to stand than sit. I’m thinking this year I might take my mini tuba or a euphonium. By the way, she has already booked that church for December 8th.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Thanks Brian. I'm sure the history is long and complicated, and the last thing anyone needs is an easy coast outsider to come in and start complaining. :)

I've always wondered what the costs are involved in hosting a TC event. Because whether it's here in Minneapolis, or some smaller town in MN or elsewhere, I'll probably want to organize something some year.

It's a big and not particularly convenient state. Is everyone inDuluth really driving to Eveleth or down to St Paul? Seems silly. Besides, the small tuba Christmas events are generally more fun. :)
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Brett,
I'd certainly be up for a small group TC if you put one together (I'm already thinking of 6+ players in the area, I'll bet you are, too).
I know there are a number of smaller venue TC's out-state. I've played the TC at a mall in Brainerd many times. I'll contact the director there, he may have some guidance and cost information for us. Will forward said info your way!
Nigel
lurker
lurker

Post by Nigel »

Count me in if you set something up!
Nigel
Mackbrunner (Mack Brass 210L)
1920 Conn 34k raincatcher
1927 King Giant
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Brett,
I sent contact info to you via email.
Another possible site would be at the Mall of America - plenty of people to listen during the holiday season!
Also, it's been a few years, but I seem to recall a building on Nicollet Mall that had a large indoor courtyard, possibly had a Banana Republic store.
I agree that indoors in December is a fine idea.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

The Mall of America is a story by itself. We played there once about the time it opened in the rotunda near Nordstrum's. We had over 300 playing including the entire U of MN Sousaphone line up the spiral staircase. They let us play for 45 minutes then threw us out. They were afraid we would break the cement foundations! (True Story!).. The police band plays there every Christmas at the other end of the mall near Sears. They tend to have a lot of live music there during the holidays. It's really a rotten venue for tubas because it is so big. The sound just goes up and gets lost. A small group would have to have electronic amplification to be heard.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5