Wanting to buy: decent F tuba

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
Sten
lurker
lurker

Wanting to buy: decent F tuba

Post by Sten »

Hi,

I am very eager to start learning how to play the tuba!

I have listened to a looot of tuba music now and decided I would like to play the F tuba. In Melbourne (and Australia in general), where I currently live, such instruments are very rare, why I can not see any other option than buying one. Given that I am a student I can pay 2000$ at the most (and postage on top of that). A second hand Mack Brass 540GB or Wessex TF435 "Berg" or similar instrument with at least five valves would be great!

/A very hopeful presumptive tuba player
Sten
lurker
lurker

Re: Wanting to buy: decent F tuba

Post by Sten »

Bump
Sten
lurker
lurker

Post by Sten »

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the suggestion! I did that two weeks ago - I sent an email to both Mack and Wessex, but unfortunately I have not heard back from either of them. I might try and give them a call though.

I found this guy https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/ ... 61995.html" target="_blank
but he writes that he does not ship and I think his story sounds a bit suspicious. Maybe it isn't, but with an instrument you can not try you would like to be as sure as you can that there is nothing wrong with it (or at least be sure of what is).
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

^Fridley isn't far from me... But yeah, if you're in Australia, that's going to be tricky to do anything about it.

For that price, Wessex might be your best bet. I thought they had a separate sales contact for Australia/Pacific?
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

Your budget sounds too small. Keep in mind that $1000US will cost you about $1500Aus. plus fees. Shipping will be several hundred more (call it a grand) then add 10% GST on top off ALL the other costs. N'udder wirds, tuber playin in Oz aint a cheap hobby.

edit to correct Aus$ amount. A price of US$2000 will translate to roughly AUS$3000, add $1000 for shipping then 10% on that gets you to about AUS$3300.

Good Luck.
Last edited by Ken Herrick on Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Free to tuba: good home
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

Sten wrote:Hi,

Thanks a lot for the suggestion! I did that two weeks ago - I sent an email to both Mack and Wessex, but unfortunately I have not heard back from either of them. I might try and give them a call though.

I found this guy https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/ ... 61995.html" target="_blank" target="_blank
but he writes that he does not ship and I think his story sounds a bit suspicious. Maybe it isn't, but with an instrument you can not try you would like to be as sure as you can that there is nothing wrong with it (or at least be sure of what is).

Hi Sten,

I did get your email and wrote back to you the same day. You may want to check your spam folder because our email has the word "sales" in it and it may have gone to internet heaven.

Shoot me another email and think I can help you as I do have something that may will work. The only issue I see for you is going to be the shipping.

Regards

Tom
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707
vespa50sp
bugler
bugler

Post by vespa50sp »

https://www.ebay.com/usr/tubashop-de Check out Uwe Schneider's ebay site or contact him. He's in Germany, is admin for the Kaiserbass Facebook site and has a 100% feedback on almost 2500 items. He ships all over.
JPLynd
bugler
bugler

Post by JPLynd »

Its a little above your budget, but its a great horn, and I'd be willing to negotiate
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=93688" target="_blank
Meinl Weston 5450 "Thor" (Small Bell)
Miraphone Norwegian Star 283 Eb
Wessex CC Helicon

Gone but not forgotten :tuba:
MRP, YEB-321, 45SLZ, 188, 45SLP, 2155, 836, 5450RA, 56J, 853, 46, 410, 201N, 186
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

I see there is a new version of the Wessex Berg....maybe you can find one of the older versions used at a price point you can meet....