TubaChristmas 2019

The bulk of the musical talk
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

TubaChristmas 2019

Post by jperry1466 »

Yeah, it's early, but we had to have ours today (Dec. 1) because of so many conflicts in our small college town. This is in Stephenville, Texas, and our 2nd year to ever have this. We had 16 participants last year and grew to 41 this year. We definitely have to find a bigger venue next time.

(By the way, Mack Brass was well represented with at least 3 TU-410 CC and 1 TU-210 BBb tubas in the group.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: TubaChristmas 2019

Post by Three Valves »

It would be hard for me to leave a venue that is indoors with nice chairs and stands!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

Post by jperry1466 »

Well, we're looking for another indoor venue. I'm not much anymore for holding a tuba while standing up outdoors in 35-40 degree weather. Our organizer happens to be a member of this particular Methodist church and got permission to use it. There were a few stands, but most of us brought our own.
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Back in my NY days, we welcomed 35 - 40 degree weather at Rockefeller Center. 50’s was perfect, but it didn’t happen often. 20’s felt a bit cold and was pretty much the norm. In 1981, it was -18 wild chill factor (actual temp was below 0.) I swore I would never play the event again, but that was before Harvey asked me to be an area coordinator. That year, we played around 10 minutes, until everyone’s valves froze.

Fast forward to Austin, and it’s been sunny and in the 60 - 70 degree range the past 9 years. Plus, we’re facing south and the sun reflects off the bell, giving me a sunburn on one side of my face. I can’t win !!