Sold: B&S/VMI 5v CC $3,000

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Sold: B&S/VMI 5v CC $3,000

Post by arpthark »

Hi all,

Just testing the waters a bit by offering this tuba up for trade or sale. It's a B&S/VMI-made "Musica" CC, five rotary valves. I would say it's about the size of a Miraphone 186 if not a bit bigger in the bell throat--basically a CC version of the B&S 101. Very tall "stovepipe" bell, narrower body. This model was bought new in 2004 (I am the second owner) and is in very good condition with minimal lacquer wear and very smooth, quiet valves. Comes with Altieri bag.

Good intonation, very dark Germanic tone, but the lead pipe is a bit too high for a shorter person like me (5'6") and I would like to see what else is out there before I take it to the shop. Ideally would like to do a straight trade for another CC. Looking for a Miraphone 186 or 188 (any vintage) but would consider tubas with piston valves, Frankenhorns, higher grade Chinese and the like. Must be in CC, 4/4 size or larger. No Jin Bao 410 (Miraclones) or similar, please. Will also consider selling, $3,000.

Located in eastern Connecticut. Will drive a few hours to meet you or can ship via Greyhound out of New London. Buyer pays shipping and assumes all risks associated with shipping a tuba. Would prefer a local sale within driving distance (NY metro/New England).

I'll listen to virtually any offer as long as it meets the requirements above. Please email me at b.taylor90 at gmail dot com. I check this board rather infrequently, but you can PM if you like.

Thanks!
Blake
Last edited by arpthark on Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: For trade: B&S/VMI 5v CC

Post by bort »

I believe this is the original style of the PT-4. Not sure why B&S doesn't make a tuba of that size/shape anymore!
daktx2
bugler
bugler

Post by daktx2 »

These are similar to but not exactly the same as the old 'tall' PT4's (which had a larger bell, though I think they had the same bore size). Both the old PT4's and these smaller Musicas play pretty well!
Weltklang B&S Symphonie F tuba
Bohm and Meinl 5520 C tuba
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Bump for an excellent German tuba for trade.
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Bump. Open to all offers.
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Thanks for the kind words. Your observations are spot-on. The third partial tends a tad high and fifth partial a tad low, which are fairly typical quirks, I think.

After some consideration, I'll also list this for straight sale at $3,500. I have a shipping box; buyer pays shipping and undertakes all risks associated with shipping a tuba. I can do Greyhound out of the New London, CT station.

This horn is in fine shape and definitely does not look 15 years old.

Thanks!

Blake
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Re: For trade/sale: B&S/VMI 5v CC $3,500

Post by arpthark »

Bump. Still for sale or trade.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

These are great tubas. If I had the money, I'd snatch it up :tuba:
daktx2 wrote:These are similar to but not exactly the same as the old 'tall' PT4's (which had a larger bell, though I think they had the same bore size). Both the old PT4's and these smaller Musicas play pretty well!
Yep! And I agree with Blake that these are pretty much the 5rv CC version of the old B&S 101 'Sonora' tubas. These VMI-made 'Musica' tubas were available in both CC and BBb models, and were imported/distributed by UMI (now Conn-Selmer) during the 1990s - early 2000s.

Those of you interested in tubas such as the Miraphone 186, Rudi "3/4" CC, Miraclone/Mack CC, Alexander 163, and other similar 4/4 rotary German-style CC tubas need to seriously consider this Musica tuba :!:
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

I got a phone call over 20 years ago from Charlie Krauss (now deceased) who was working tuba sales out of the old Woodwind and Brasswind store. He knew I was looking at that time for a five rotor CC and he said an instrument like this was about the best tuba he had ever played. Charlie was a straight shooter and wasn't just trying to make a quick sale. I took his recommendation seriously even though I bought a Cerveny 601-5MR instead. I've heard enthusiastic reports about the VMI 5v CC ever since. I suspect the buyer of this beautiful horn for sale can't go wrong.

Ace
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Happy New Year! Bump for an excellent CC tuba.
anotherjtm2
3 valves
3 valves

Post by anotherjtm2 »

(caveats: I'm not a pro, and my sample size is one tuba)

This is a nice tuba. I just picked one up locally. It plays easily, and in tune, over at least the range I can play. My sample is very well made, with slides that move easily and valves that are light. I'm enjoying it a lot.

Standing next to a Bb 186, it's 3 inches taller but basically the same size otherwise.
Last edited by anotherjtm2 on Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Morris
- 1960s CC Scherzer/Sander
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Thanks John. This tuba is in similarly excellent mechanical shape. Slides and valves all work very well.
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Will gladly hear offers on this nice tuba.
anotherjtm2
3 valves
3 valves

Post by anotherjtm2 »

Bump for a well made nice sounding tuba.

After a month with mine, I just get more and more pleased with it.
John Morris
- 1960s CC Scherzer/Sander
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Re: For trade/sale: B&S/VMI 5v CC $3,000

Post by arpthark »

Lower price. Open to trades. Let me know what you got.
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Re: On Hold: B&S/VMI 5v CC $3,000

Post by arpthark »

This tuba is on hold.

edit: this tuba has sold.