SOLD -- Hirsbrunner BBb -- THANK YOU ALL

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Scottuba
lurker
lurker

Re: FS -- Hirsbrunner BBb

Post by Scottuba »

It's hard to believe the condition this tuba is in. It looks like it has hardly been out of the case since the early 80's. My question is, How do you determine the value for insurance purposes on an instrument like this that is handmade from the early 80's and cannot be replaced? Hopefully the new owner will maintain it in this condition while using it , so that it will continue to appreciate in the future.
Scottuba
lurker
lurker

Post by Scottuba »

II had a dream about this horn last night !!! Well actually a horn exactly like this that I played on a few years ago. It belonged to an Army Reserve Band out of Alabama. Anyway the band director I know that had this in his bandroom had recently gotten it and asked me to try it . The response ease of playing and Tone were just incredible. No wonder back when they came out , they were called "The Rolls Royce of Tubas"
Frank Ortega
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Frank Ortega »

Hello Tubenetters,

I had never tried an HB BBb tuba before, so I stopped over Paul’s house over a week ago to try this one. It did not disappoint! That magnificent HB sound and intonation!
Instant response and resonant voice! If I had the spare $$
I would add this to my arsenal!

Someone is going to get a beautiful instrument.

Happy Hunting!
Frank
Frank Ortega
Band Director
Saddle Brook MS/HS
The Bloomfield Civic Band
Music Director/Conductor
Bon Temps Brass
PRO
bugler
bugler

Post by PRO »

Thank you, Scottuba and Frank, for your recent kind comments.

Last year, when I learned that Hirsbrunner would no longer be making tubas, I contacted Herr Hirsbrunner and bought some spare parts. I think the price with international shipping was roughly $100. These are valve springs (qty 4), stop arm screws (qty 4), ball joint screws (qty 4), and ball joint (qty 1). I misplaced the little box of parts during a major reorganization of my basement. Just found them near one of my York tubas. These are brand new spares. Free to the buyer of the horn.
PRO
bugler
bugler

Post by PRO »

This tuba seems to have become a "hot item" over the last couple months. It has averaged 21 hits per day since January 1st. Six people have contacted me to advise that they are actively raising money towards buying the horn. Those six, and others, have emailed with questions. Here are answers to some common questions:

(1) Will you "auction" the instrument publicly or privately?
No. The price $8200 has been deemed fair by several pro tubists (who are Hirsbrunner players) that I have consulted. I will not accept offers more than that price. In consideration of fairness and integrity, I will not divulge transaction details publicly, nor will I be the moderator of a "private bidding war".

(2) Will you take a deposit to hold the horn indefinitely?
No. That would put the horn "off limits" indefinitely to other prospective buyers. The offeror might then stall or back out. Not fair to other prospective buyers, nor to me.

(3) Will you give preference by date of contact?
Yes. As much as possible, I have been dealing with prospective buyers on a "first come first served" basis. The current "number one" (from Florida) has promised to contact me by Saturday morning (Feb 22nd, 2020) regarding payment.

(4) Terms?
Payment in full in advance. If payment is by check, pickup (or ship) after check has cleared. Otherwise, pay cash at time of pickup. I will provide a signed bill of sale if requested.

Thank you all for understanding. Thanks to all for using email or phone, as I have difficulty with TubeNet's PM feature. Best to all, Paul.
PRO
bugler
bugler

Post by PRO »

Since last posting, the gentleman from FL has made a series of promises regarding date of payment. Now his latest self-imposed deadline has come and gone. Because I waited for him, two potential buyers went elsewhere and bought other horns.

Meanwhile, the average hits-per-day in January was 19. The average hits-per-day in February was 27. This instrument remains a "hot item".

I respectfully ask the five remaining potential buyers (including "Mr. Florida" plus another new person) -- please contact me to discuss status. Please use email (proscientific AT verizon DOT net). I do not PM.

Thank you all for your patience. Paul.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Yeah, deals fall through and people move on... Just the way it goes.

You could also consider consignment at Baltimore Brass. Raise the price by enough that you'll clear the $ you want in the end. It's a promo tuba, so I hope you get the $ you want for it!

Good luck! Sell that HB!
PRO
bugler
bugler

Post by PRO »

The instrument is now ON HOLD pending receipt of funds.

The buyer would like to know whether anyone is traveling from the greater New York area to the greater Chicago area, and with enough space to transport the tuba. The package will be approximately 20"W x 28"H x 40"L (tuba inside its case, all inside a shipping box). Also, does anyone have direct experience with a trucking company that could pick up at my house (Hackettstown, NJ) and transport carefully to the greater Chicago area?

Thank you.
Paul.
Boomer
bugler
bugler

Re: ON HOLD -- Hirsbrunner BBb PLEASE SEE QUESTIONS

Post by Boomer »

I have used this service successfully.

https://www.uship.com/" target="_blank
PRO
bugler
bugler

Re: ON HOLD -- Hirsbrunner BBb PLEASE SEE QUESTIONS

Post by PRO »

Instrument has been sold. Thank you all for comments.

Thanks, Boomer, for your suggestion about shipping. Buyer is evaluating his shipping options now.

Best wishes to all for good health. Paul.