Hold on, I'm making more right now... :oops:
31%

Total votes: 102

Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Coffee?

Post by Donn »

If you like weak coffee, you might consider the "cans". The post-war change in US coffee was not just the kind of coffee (less arabica, more robusta) and the percolators, it was also a significantly more dilute brew. All goes together - the best arabica coffee these days is evaluated for how it's going to taste at ca. 2 tbsp / 6 oz., and people who dilute it in a lot more water are kind of wasting their money. Folgers says 1 tbsp, for "regular" coffee, and if that's where you are, maybe their coffee is for you.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Why would anyone like weak coffee?
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

GC wrote:I drink their coffee at home, but at the stores it's way, way too strong.
GC wrote:Why would anyone like weak coffee?
I sure don't know. It's hard to even figure out what people like. I can't remember ever experiencing "too strong" coffee, it's hard for me to even imagine how such a thing could be.

But the story I've heard, is that the Navy liked it, because the boys could drink gallons of it and sweat it out down in the engine room, and not have fits from too much caffeine. Most of them came home, with an acquired taste for weak coffee.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

I've gotten black coffee so strong from my local Sbux that was as strong a concentrate for cold brew. I generally have them put about an inch and a half of ice in the bottom to thin it and get it cool enough to drink immediately. Everybody's got their own taste. When I make coffee for other people they generally like it, or are too polite to go "THIS SUX!"

The navy story is interesting. I can see how that would work.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

The most coffee I've ever drank...

It was 5 years ago today. My wife was in labor with our first son (ended up being about 40 hours of labor :shock:), his birthday is tomorrow, but we were at the hospital for probably close to 2 full days before he was born. My wife made it clear that if she was going to be awake, so would I. Her room was directly across the hall from the break room... I'm pretty sure I drank an entire box of K-cups during that time. And only stopped because they ran out.

My son was born, it was a glorious and happy day (in the middle of the night). They wouldn't let me stay overnight, so I had to leave the hospital around 3am, and could come back at 6am. I completely crashed when I got home, and woke up around 8am to my phone ringing non-stop and my wife asking where I was.

Good times. Thanks, coffee.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

GC wrote:I've gotten black coffee so strong from my local Sbux that was as strong a concentrate for cold brew. I generally have them put about an inch and a half of ice in the bottom to thin it and get it cool enough to drink immediately.
People who are coffee enthusiasts like we're tuba enthusiasts, often will seek out some alternative to Starbucks - in their home town, but when out in the previously unexplored world, they're a safe bet, because no matter where you go, they're remarkably consistent. The very same whether you're in downtown Seattle, the Miami airport, inside a grocery store in a small town in upstate NY, etc. Used to be that way, anyway. That makes them a shining beacon when for example you may have found yourself in a locality where people customarily brew their coffee real weak.
Doug Elliott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Doug Elliott »

I always make it a point to check out the local coffee shops when I'm travelling. I wish I actually kept a list, but two that stand out are Kaffeine Coffee in Indianapolis, and Arusha Coffee in Belton TX. In case any of you guys are familiar with them.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

This is an absurd tangent, but as luck would have it, these packages of yerba mate appeared on my doorstep this afternoon, and I'm here to tell you, it is now less of a mystery why it's a popular drink in South America. (The stuff I've had before reminded me for some reason of an army surplus store.) Legitimate tangent because it has caffeine - also theobromine and theophylline, as in chocolate and tea respectively, but more caffeine and less of the others. Might be something to look into, for those who don't like strong tasting coffee or beer - it's real mild.

Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

nworbekim wrote:i found some starbuck pods that say they're twice the caffeine as regular...
I don't think so, though they obviously put something highly addictive in them--maybe cocaine.

But all their coffee uses arabica beans, and robusta beans usually have more caffeine for a given strength, at least as I understand it. So, the thin percolated coffee from Folgers and Maxwell House may actually have more caffeine than Starbucks, despite being thinner and lacking much flavor.

Rick "who also drinks Illy canned coffee" Denney
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Donn wrote:
GC wrote:I've gotten black coffee so strong from my local Sbux that was as strong a concentrate for cold brew. I generally have them put about an inch and a half of ice in the bottom to thin it and get it cool enough to drink immediately.
People who are coffee enthusiasts like we're tuba enthusiasts, often will seek out some alternative to Starbucks - in their home town, but when out in the previously unexplored world, they're a safe bet, because no matter where you go, they're remarkably consistent. The very same whether you're in downtown Seattle, the Miami airport, inside a grocery store in a small town in upstate NY, etc. Used to be that way, anyway. That makes them a shining beacon when for example you may have found yourself in a locality where people customarily brew their coffee real weak.
Back before the pandemic, I often got coffee at a little independent shop in the nearby town, which is just down the street from Starbucks. But the reason is that it was more of a living-room atmosphere and everyone who goes there knows each other, from the high-school kids to the guy I usually chatted with--a retired Wall Street trader. Of course, "living-room atmosphere" is incompatible with social distancing, and though they are serving take-out, they are taking a hit. I buy coffee there is often as I can. But I have to say that I prefer the stronger taste of Starbucks. And whatever they add to make it addictive.

Rick "who just drank his usual 20-oz cup of home-brewed Sbux Italian dark roast" Denney
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Caffeine content is not particularly a constant in arabica beans. It's rarely so much different that I notice it, but it has been that weak sometimes in Ethiopian origins, and that strong in Brazilian. Starbucks may have a vague idea how much caffeine they're getting in their blends, if they work as hard at consistency as I think they do, but if they are guaranteeing a double dose for this other product, I suspect they're spiking it.

The "cans" used to use robusta, but they depend on heavy processing for their consistency, and they can and do use whatever's cheap. I believe these days they use more arabica than they used to. Illy on the other hand, may following Italian tradition still use a certain amount of robusta for taste and body.
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

I have been making cold brew every morning, and let it steep till the next morning. I warm some up to drink with breakfast, the rest I drink cold though out the day. I put whipped cream in the hot coffee, and almond milk in the cold, no sugar (that is what the donut or cookie is for....) The cold brew is less acidic, and I usually make "half-caf." Also much cheaper than buying it at DD or SB.

People have been touting the health benefits and/or detriments of coffee for decades. I figure for as long as people have been drinking it, someone would have figured out if it were bad for you by now. While it may not be good for you, it probably isn't all that bad either....

kk
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

It's definitely good for you.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Too much can cause you problems if you're caffeine sensitive or if you have an acid-sensitive stomach, but there are ways around both of them. Research has come up with a fair number of benefits over the last few years, which definitely made me happy. A couple of decades ago it was considered less good for your health, but that was around the era when fat-free diets thought to be good.
Last edited by GC on Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

PEET'S coffee company, headquartered in Berkeley, started in the 1960's and quickly became a local favorite.  They have now expanded to several states and may be headed toward national availability.  This is strong coffee with a great taste.  I first tried the product in the late 1970's when I bought a large container of PEET's whilst my wife and I were on our way to a Cal vs Iowa basketball game.  After consuming that coffee I felt as if I could go out onto the court and single-handedly defeat Iowa.   I couldn't sleep that night and did a lot of "dribbling".
Ace
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

That's where the Starbucks founders learned to roast their beans just short of cinders.
tubeast
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubeast »

Life is too short to have bad coffee.

At home:
Italian Espresso machine with portafilter. (Bezzera Giulia).
Separate electronic coffee grinder with 80mm dia. cutting Discs.
(Beans get cut to desired grain of powder rather than crushed/ground)
Variation of different coffee brands, beans and roast types specified for portafilter brewing.
I have no preferences, just try to avoid cheap junk and occasionally grant local micro-roasters some revenue.
This is set to work only on weekends so I have time to set the thing to work and appreciate the product.

At work I have the choice of three Systems, mentioned in order of increasing appreciation/frequency of use:
- Nespresso tabs (Ugh!!)
- instant coffee from vending machine (the type that is subject to generic Slapstick on Police TV-Series from 70s and 80s)
- automatic Espresso brewer with integrated "grind per serving" mill. Best variant, closest to workplace, gets frequented about 4 times a day.
Hans
Melton 46 S
1903 or earlier GLIER Helicon, customized Hermuth MP
2009 WILLSON 6400 RZ5, customized GEWA 52 + Wessex "Chief"
MW HoJo 2011 FA, Wessex "Chief"
dopey
3 valves
3 valves

Post by dopey »

Swedes consume coffee constantly.

I quickly adapted. Pre-Covid WFH, you basically had a coffee going into every meeting. Or anytime your cup was empty it was time for a trip to the coffee machine.

Then swedish fika -- random 15 min break to have a coffee and chat during the day.

Oddly I only do a cup at breakfast during weekends/home. Nothing the rest of the day.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

dopey wrote:Swedes consume coffee constantly.

I quickly adapted. Pre-Covid WFH, you basically had a coffee going into every meeting. Or anytime your cup was empty it was time for a trip to the coffee machine.

Then swedish fika -- random 15 min break to have a coffee and chat during the day.

Oddly I only do a cup at breakfast during weekends/home. Nothing the rest of the day.
Though I'm sure Swedes roll their eyes at Americans who admit it, what I know of Swedish daily culture I learned from reading Stieg Larsson (and by friends of his writing about him). Coffee certainly played into it--there was never a moment when the intrepid Mikael Blomqvist was not making, drinking, or seeking coffee.

Rick "it made me want to visit Sweden, until COVID19 came along" Denney
dopey
3 valves
3 valves

Post by dopey »

Rick Denney wrote:
dopey wrote:Swedes consume coffee constantly.

Though I'm sure Swedes roll their eyes at Americans who admit it, what I know of Swedish daily culture I learned from reading Stieg Larsson (and by friends of his writing about him). Coffee certainly played into it--there was never a moment when the intrepid Mikael Blomqvist was not making, drinking, or seeking coffee.

Rick "it made me want to visit Sweden, until COVID19 came along" Denney
Recommend it if you ever get a chance.

I grew up in Arkansas, ended up in California working, then somehow in Sweden 6 years ago. Stockholm really is something special. On one hand glad it doesn't get the tourist like say Amderstamd or London....on the other, it really is a great city worth checking out.

Do suggest this time of year, the 24 hour days is much more enjoyable than the 24 hour nights ;)