Sousaphone gig bags

The bulk of the musical talk
kontrabass
3 valves
3 valves

Sousaphone gig bags

Post by kontrabass »

Seems like the only sousa gig bag on the market is by Pro Tec.
Anyone have any experience with these? Are they durable, comfortable, etc.? I've got a Conn 14k, will it fit ok?

Thanks!
Rob Teehan
Toronto composer and tuba player
Visit my tuba blog: http://www.robteehan.com
pattonsj
bugler
bugler

Re: Sousaphone gig bags

Post by pattonsj »

I've never been a fan of larger Pro-tec cases. The ones made for clarinet and trumpet are ok but the ones for tubas and sousaphone seem to have a problem with the zippers tearing loose. I had one and it tore away when it was only a couple of years old.

Just my opinion...
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

I have a Supersack gig bag bought for my 26K. Possibly also could hold the 40K, but never tried that, as I have a hard case for that one.

My friend Bjarne Thanning padded the Supersack, when he loaned the 26K for a pro pit job. Still that bag mainly is a matter about getting a handle for the disassembled horn and about avoiding immediate contact with scratchy surfaces. My Supersack has no back-pack straps. so I pur the strap running all around the circumference over my shoulder.

I have Supersacks also for alto trombone (very good rigid slide protection) and for my Imperial baritone (also works for my oval alto horn). All are in cordura with leather trim. The quality is comparable to old Blues Reunion. Only I am not entirely happy with the trim of the seams, which are in naugahyde rather than real leather

Klaus
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Edited because of double posting.
Last edited by imperialbari on Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tuba kitchen
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tuba kitchen »

i own a protec sousaphone bag. since it's the only kind available, i bought one. it has the grips in all the wrong places and it hangs down way too low on your back so it hits the back of your knees...a colleague has an old reunion blues sousaphone bag which seems to be a bit better.
Søren
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Søren »

I have a ProTec Sousa gigbag for my 14K. I have never has a problem with that bag. I have dragged it on the ground, slept in it, walked long distances with it on my back and it is still going strong after 10 years of abuse (so is the sousaphone). The only thing is that I had the straps shortened. Other than that, I could not be more satisfied with it.

But as a car; When something small breaks, have it repaired or the damage will grow beyond repair. I have had small repairs done to my bag, but nothing major.

The only thing about the ProTec bags, is that the newer ones have Velcro locking on the small outer pouch where the older ones have a zipper. The Zipper is better.

There are a couple of new brands of sousaphone gigbags on the german ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Gig-Bag-fuer-Sousaph ... 1|294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.de/Gig-Bag-fuer-ein-Sou ... 1|294%3A50

They look quite ok, and are rather inexpensive. Good luck

I was once in a fight with my sousaphone on my back. The bag took some hits from kicks, but the sousaphone inside was not damaged.
kontrabass
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kontrabass »

Thanks guys. I guess I should mention the main purpose for this bag is so I can take it on the subway or on busses if need be; the hard case is too bulky for this and I have no car at the moment. I think the Pro-tec will probably do the job.
Rob Teehan
Toronto composer and tuba player
Visit my tuba blog: http://www.robteehan.com
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

Sousaphone gig bags weren’t that common in my country 25 years ago. Eventually I found a German made SuperSac, but before that I had planned on having pone made locally.

The fabric would have been heavy nylon with a fleeced inside as known from pilot jackets. Zippers would have been nylon non-scratch. The bell side would have been mounted on a circular plate of high quality, but not too thick, plywood. A set of backpack straps also would have been mounted on the plywood.

Would have taken an industrial strength sewing machine.

Klaus
RichWilley
lurker
lurker

Post by RichWilley »

Has anybody here used the Gard sousaphone gig bag? I have a late 50s King sousaphone with a 26" bell and am wondering if this bag would work:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gard/Mid-S ... ductDetail" target="_blank" target="_blank

Thanks in advance for any info you can offer!
oscarcahue
bugler
bugler

Post by oscarcahue »

Check out the Herch Sousaphone Soft Case on Ebay. That one is only $150. Ships out of CA.

There's a repairman in Tijuana that makes sousaphone Gig Bags for $80 & ships out of San Diego.
I have one of those, maybe I'll attach pictures if I can find some.
You'd probably have to order a bulk order of several to be worthwhile.
1940 Conn 32k Sousaphone
1962 Conn 20k Sousaphone
1920 Conn 38k Sousaphone
Wessex Bb Mighty Midget
Reynolds Contempora Bb Tuba
1965 King 1250 Sousaphone (Sold)
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

RichWilley wrote:Has anybody here used the Gard sousaphone gig bag?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71388" target="_blank

As a follow up to the linked post, the bag has held up very well.
P@rick
bugler
bugler

Post by P@rick »

I have a Protec and had a Boston gigbag for my 14K sousaphone. Both are fine. Never had any problems.
What I don't like about the Protec design is that you need to disconnect the 2 straps/handles, on the side of the bag, before you can open the zipper and get to your sousaphone.
When you open the bag and the lid is up, your bag on the outside of the lid is upside down.
The Boston does not have a "bag", only a small pocket on the inside.
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

I had never heard of "Boston" gig bags.

https://bostonmusicalproducts.com/produ ... -sous.html" target="_blank

Anyone else have experience with these?