Candian Brass by Getzen euph ?

The bulk of the musical talk
oldbandnerd
5 valves
5 valves

Candian Brass by Getzen euph ?

Post by oldbandnerd »

Would someone please explain to me what this ebay listing is all about .

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canadian-Brass-Euph ... dZViewItem

If I understand it correctly it is saying that the Candian Brass had this model of euph made by Willson but the Getzen name was stamped on it . What is wrong with this picture ?
Why would the Willson company make a horn and then let Getzen put it's name on it ?
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Well, the CB-30 euphonium is a rebadged Willson 2975, but mine just says "Canadian Brass" on it. It's true that Getzen distributed them, but I believe that Ed Stevens told me that they were imported through DEG. The one shown is a simple non-compensating 4v model, not the 2975.

In any case, if this is a Willson, you should be able to find a "Made in Switzerland" somewhere on the valve cluster. But I don't think this one is, because it doesn't resemble any recent Willson model.

...and the "original mouthpiece" should be a clearly-marked Willson also.

My own copy of the CB dealer catalog dates from 1994.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Candian Brass by Getzen euph ?

Post by Tom »

oldbandnerd wrote: If I understand it correctly it is saying that the Candian Brass had this model of euph made by Willson but the Getzen name was stamped on it . What is wrong with this picture ?
All of the CB-30 Euphoniums that were sold were made by Willson and imported through DEG and Getzen, which were essentially one-in-the-same once upon a time and are still very much connected to this day.

DEG doesn't actually make anything...they are located in the same city Getzen is and distribute products made by other companies which just happen to be music instruments. For example, DEG is the U.S. distributor of Willson and Weril. In addition, at one time all Meinl Weston tubas came through DEG and/or Getzen (as I recall), although I believe this has changed recently.

The Canadian Brass series of instruments included a trumpet, trombone, horn (I think, never seen one), euphonium, and tuba.

I don't recall who built the trumpet, horn, or trombone, but know that the euphonium was made by Willson and that it is a 2975 stencil (I've seen a CB-30 next to a 2975). The tuba was built with parts from Meinl Weston and Willson and put together and plated in the United States at Getzen, from what I understand.
Why would the Willson company make a horn and then let Getzen put it's name on it ?
This is common practice called "stenciling." Many horns on the market today are stencils in one form or another...take the VMI Neptune and the PT-7 or a Musica, Sear, Sonora, or Sanders...same horn, different name on the bell.

After checking the one in the auction against the pictures I have, it's not a Willson 2975. It could still have been made by Willson and the bell does say "Canadian Brass," but it's not a 2975 or CB-30. It doesn't look like a compensating euphonium, either, which the 2975 is.

Here's a Willson 2975 aka CB-30:

Here's the one from ebay:

Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

The CB40 horn is a rebadged (I like this term as used by the electronics industry better than "stencil") VMI double. I'm not sure, but this may translate into a current "Hans Hoyer" model.

AFAIK, the CB40 was never popular in the US, especially during a time when the big horns like the 8D reigned supreme.

My suspicion is that the eBay product is real Getzen production. The CB-30 when it came out was very expensive at the retail level, and never sold very well, particularly where all of the other compensators were 3+1 top action models.

But to a tuba player like me, the 4 front action pistons of my CB30 are perfect.
timayer
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timayer »

Nothing like bringing up an old thread...

There is currently a Willson Canadian Brass tuba at Baltimore Brass. I think this thread answers most of the questions about its origin. But at least with the tuba, we know that there was a Getzen CB-50 tuba as well. And they don't look like the same horn to my eye. Similar, but not the same. So it doesn't seem like the badge simply changed at some point. Where does this Willson tuba fit in? Before the CB50? After?
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

Here is a link to a brochure that shows the CB line from Getzen:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xmwf1yde6ncj ... E.pdf?dl=0" target="_blank

Getzen also has told me there was a CB52 tuba available, but I have never seen a picture of it nor heard of it referenced somewhere else. Perhaps this is it? Lee Stofer might be able to shed some light on the 52 as he is the expert on those getzen horns. It definitely does resemble the Canadian Brass line and low brass that Getzen continued to distribute after the CB collaboration.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

This is an old practice, and company after company does it. Even many Meinl-Weston horns in the early '70's had the Getzen name on them.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone