John Williams music sounds suspicously like ....

The bulk of the musical talk
Mark

Re: John Williams music sounds suspicously like ....

Post by Mark »

Doc wrote:
Ok, Fonzie... this is a good time to leave here and go with Gretchen.
How does she carry so much?
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

Since we've taken this thread so far...Have you ever heard Richard Grayson?

This sounds like nothing I've heard before.... (That is meant as a REALLY lame joke)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IshINI7uGpE
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

i did not read all the posts so if this has already been stated I apologize. Many of the film sccore composers from the early to mid 20th century such as Korngold, Bernstein (Elmer not Leonard), Herman were trained in Europe and wrote in that "romantic," or "chromatic" or "operatic" and "symphonic" or post-Wagnerian or whatever "Mahler-ish" style and that became the norm in the film scores of the 30's - the 50's. Very melodic while staying in some semblance of tonality, yet using dissonances for stirring and dramatic effect.

This is obviously the idiom Williams writes in as well when he writes for the big blockbuster type of movie, such as Indiana Jones (one of my personal favorites BTW.) superman, star wars, etc. Does his music bear a resemblance to others from that idiom? of course. I would not call it plagiarism however. He has written so much music (close to 100 film scores over the course of 50+ years!), some of it is bound to sound familiar. Just like one can usually tell immediately once they hear Mozart, Bach, Wagner, etc.

However, if you listen to other scores like Catch Me If You Can or Schindler's List or Memoirs of a Geisha he does not write in that style. He can be very introspective also. He is very diverse.

k
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
TUBAD83
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TUBAD83 »

You may hate Mr. Williams but one thing you have to admit--his music help bring people to the movie house AND the concert hall (and keep us employed). Name a time you played a John Williams piece and it was NOT well received by the audience (I was in THREE different ensembles a couple of years ago and all three had a Williams piece programmed in the same season). Give him credit--he knows his stuff!

JJ
Jerry Johnson
Wessex Kaiser BBb aka "Willie"
Wessex Luzern BBb aka "Otto"
Lone Star Symphonic Band
The Prevailing Winds
oldbandnerd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by oldbandnerd »

See ...... I told you so .
https://youtu.be/8IX1jSVmaAs" target="_blank
paulver

Post by paulver »

Saw Williams in concert in Pittsburgh many years ago. During the concert, he informed the audience that he used to be the piano player for Henry Mancini on many occasions. He said those opportunities furnished him with tons of info and ideas. (paraphrasing)
Bowerybum
bugler
bugler

Post by Bowerybum »

Williams was the piano player on this "Music from M Squad" LP/CD. He went by Johnny Williams in those days.
https://www.amazon.com/M-Squad-Various- ... 160&sr=1-2" target="_blank" target="_blank
"When the legend becomes fact, print
the legend."
Rumblebuffin
lurker
lurker

Post by Rumblebuffin »

Returning briefly to the essential thrust of the thread. Everyone is influenced by everyone else.
It brings to mind a delightfully acidic exchange from the first great era of Hollywood film composers.
Max Steiner & Erich Korngold had a characteristically testy rivalry in Hollywood.
At one meeting Steiner sought to needle Korngold with a well aimed barb: ‘Erich, why is it that my music is getting better & better, whilst yours seems to be getting worse & worse?’
Korngold: ‘It’s perfectly simple Max: You have been stealing from me, whilst I have obviously been stealing from you!’

The point is: It really doesn’t matter because they both wrote wonderful, thrilling music...as does their natural successor- Mr Williams...
City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra
Birmingham Contemporary Music Group

Besson New Standard EEb 4v comp.
Besson Sovereign EEb 982
B&S Neptune CC
B&S GR51 BBb
B&S 6v F
Besson Leviathan F 4v comp.
Meinl-Weston 42 F cimbasso
TubaKen
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaKen »

Listen to the Star Wars (original) soundtrack from 1:45 to 2:06 if you want to know where the OP got his "John Williams borrows from Holst" idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDMPTZ7y1lE
Not note-for-note, certainly. But awfully close to "Mars" in every way. I don't really have a problem with this. Like others mentioned, it's not supposed to be strikingly original, it's supposed to set a mood (which it certainly does.) I also seem to remember that Lucas had blocked in "The Planets" and asked Williams to compose something similar. So, he was doing as asked (which might explain him not appreciating being called out for it.)
I have to say that I have also noticed many passages of Williams' scores where he borrows from late 19th and early 20th century composers, making a few minor changes here and there. More so than film composers like Goldmsith. But, he can certainly be memorably original when he wants to. "Schindler's List" comes to mind.
Watchman
bugler
bugler

Post by Watchman »

Art Hovey wrote:A friend of mine claims that he met John Williams once and asked him point-blank why his stuff sounded so much like Holst. He says that Williams simply walked away.
Dang dude....your friend is really rude. An opportunity arises to meet a famous composer and THAT is what you say!? I would have walked away as well.