Galvanized Jazz Band - "This Old Tuba" Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Galvanized Jazz Band - "This Old Tuba"

Postby Doc » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:28 pm

I ordered this cd and got it in the mail last weekend. I've been wanting it for quite a while. It came in only a couple of days. I'm thoroughly impressed with it (I knew I would be after hearing samples), and I recommend it to all who don't have it. Art Hovey's playing is outstanding, and the band is great. Who doesn't like good N.O. jazz anyway?

I like each and every tune, but the one I find myself singing is "My Baby Just Cares For Me". I haven't played that tune in years, and GJB does a fine job. When I think of that tune, I always seem to hear Leon Redbone singing, but I don't know if he ever covered it. Now, I have the GJB version in my head, and that's a good thing.

This cd is meaty with tuba and tuba leads. The band is great, and Art is da man. Get it.

Doc (who wishes there were more bands around here like that)
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby wewhit » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:03 pm

Ditto on all the above. Art's a great guy.
Eugene Whitmore
York Monster Eb
Bohm & Meinl Bb
wewhit
lurker
lurker

Postby Allen » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:15 am

I got this CD a few years ago, and still play it. Art's playing and musicianship is an inspiration to all of us who love listening to -- and playing -- this style of music.

Cheers,
Allen
Allen
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Art Hovey » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:07 am

Gentlemen:
Thank you for your kind words of encouragement; they mean a lot to me. All of the GJB CDs are still available from our website, http://galvanizedjazz.com
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bloke » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:50 am

I've sent Art private emails regarding his performances on his recordings, but he deserves a public pat on the back.

bloke "who ainst no physisicts, but knows what matters"
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Tom Eshelman » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:01 am

I also have this CD and like Art's playing. I really like the concept of this CD - mostly Trad Jazz with plenty of tuba solos.
Besson 983 EEb
Olds-99-4 BBb
Conn 14J Eb
Buescher True-tone Eb
Tom Eshelman
bugler
bugler

Return to TubeNet