Reynolds=Conn

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Reynolds=Conn

Post by Heavy_Metal »

at least with this one. There have been conversations regarding Olds, Reynolds and Conn regarding who actually made what, and here is one example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REYNOLDS-BBb-TU ... 4ac43861d5" target="_blank

:tuba:
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Reynolds=Conn

Post by EdFirth »

This is just a standard big Reynolds with a Conn raincatcher fitted to it. The original Reynolds bell would be quite a bit longer.BUT I have been under the impression that Reynolds/Olds DID make the 2 and 4J's for Conn. Conn later changed them somewhat and made the 3 and 5J's. I know there are some who think they know better but that's the story I heard. Ed
The Singing Whale
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

Sorry guys, my computer was telling me the message was not sent. Ed
The Singing Whale
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

Valves? You use the valves when you play?
sousaphone68
4 valves
4 valves

Post by sousaphone68 »

I know you can't play a picture but the photo of the rere tubing really looks pretty.
Any body here play one and care to comment on intonation and sound?
Cant carry a tune but I can carry a tuba.
Tom Eshelman
bugler
bugler

Post by Tom Eshelman »

EdFirth wrote:This is just a standard big Reynolds with a Conn raincatcher fitted to it. The original Reynolds bell would be quite a bit longer.BUT I have been under the impression that Reynolds/Olds DID make the 2 and 4J's for Conn. Conn later changed them somewhat and made the 3 and 5J's. I know there are some who think they know better but that's the story I heard. Ed
The reynolds contempora I played in the 60's had a much longer bell as you say. Wouldn't the shorter bell have a big affect on intonation?
sticky_valve
bugler
bugler

Post by sticky_valve »

Anyone know what model Reynolds it is?

The body does not look much like the Reynolds TB-11 I own. Mine only has 3-valves but the wrap on 1st is completely different, and the one on ebay does not have the spring loaded slide on #1?

Maybe only the Recording Bell is from a Reynolds?

I'd be keen to know what other bells fit Reynolds? I'd like to track down an upright bell for mine sometime as I only have the recording bell?

A Conn bell might work, however the question on intonation with a shorter bell asked by the previous poster is a good one too.
Reynolds TB-11, Conn 20J, Conn 20K, Yamaha YBB103
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

sticky_valve wrote:.... I'd be keen to know what other bells fit Reynolds? I'd like to track down an upright bell for mine sometime as I only have the recording bell? ....

Cruising through some of my notes, I found the following:

Reynolds 'contempora' detachable recording bell
bell tenon is 20 11/16" circumference (6.585" dia)
23" bell flare

Olds sousaphone bell
bell tenon is 20 11/16" circumference (6.585" dia)
26 3/8" diameter flare

Martin sousaphone bell
bell tenon is 20 5/8" circumference (6.565" dia)
24" bell diameter

Once you locate a tenon from an old sousaphone... it should be fairly easy to match it to a bell.

It looks like the Reynolds/Olds detachable bells may have had similar characteristics to some of the Martins but didn't share dimensions with any of the Conns.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

The tuba player in the old Orlando Symphony used one. He put an Alexander bell on it so it was a little shorter, kind of like the one on Ebay. I later owned it and it was a GFREAT playing/sounding tuba. The only problem was that the garland thing had come off the bell, and the edge was very sharp and weak. That aside it was almost like a King on steroids. And much more open blowing. I think it was the super tall bell that took them out of the running once the ministers of culture decreed bell fronts to be unacceptable. Today I would have Mr Kanstul make me a bell similar to the Conn one in the picture and lengthen the inner main tuning slides as needed. They(the big ones) also usually had a factory tuning thing on the first valve. In fact, I'm going back to look at it again. Mine was silver and I sold it to Mike Marois and I don't know what became of it. Ed PS Thanks Schleppy!
The Singing Whale