Looking for gig bag recommendations Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: Looking for gig bag recommendations

Postby pjv » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:26 am

I still have the same bag for almost 20 years.
It'll probably out live me.
I went to an outdoor sport shop. They often have a department or a connection who'll make custom backpacks for every purpose.
The difference is, most gig bag shops make beautiful soft bags you'd want to sleep in...which eventually fall apart.
Outdoor sport backpacks are all about durability and wear comfort.
So I have a very large padded top-loader backpack with padding all around, extra on the two side I set the tuba down the most (bottom bow and the left side). On size fits all. My Mira. 1291 goes in as well as my Kanstul 80 (uh, not at the same time). I use the straps to loosen or tighten the fit, just like with back packs.
No zippers (except for the two pouches). Fantastic comfortable straps for wearing it on my back or over my shoulder.
I paid about €200-250 for it. Of coarse that was 20 years ago.
investment of a lifetime.
Just have it made large enough for a huge tuba and you'll always have a usable gig bag.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Postby cstan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:42 pm

A friend of mine has a Miraphone gig bag for his CC tuba, which I like very much. I would like to buy one for my Besson 983. Does anybody know which Miraphone gig bag model fit the Besson 983?
cstan
lurker
lurker

Postby greenbean » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:58 am

cstan wrote:A friend of mine has a Miraphone gig bag for his CC tuba, which I like very much. I would like to buy one for my Besson 983. Does anybody know which Miraphone gig bag model fit the Besson 983?

Check this out. You can also call Hornguys. They know their stuff.

https://www.hornguys.com/collections/tu ... -gig-bag-1
-----
Yamaha & Bach bass trombones
B&S 3301 BBb tuba
B&S Musica tall BBb tuba
greenbean
bugler
bugler

Postby oleirgens » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:52 am

Lew wrote:The gig bag that I bought with my Besson 983 Eb has pretty much fallen apart and I am now using the hard case with it all the time. While this certainly protects it, I am having some issues that mean I need to lighten things up. Does anybody have a suggestion for the best gig bag to use for this horn? Right now I am debating between the Gard and Pro-Tec Platinum bags. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Just got a Gard bag for my new Cerveny 6/4 CC horn. Seems solid and has extra padding inside for protection of the sensitive areas (bow, rotary valve linkages). Shoulder straps might be a bit narrow, but so far I'm a happy customer. Reasonably priced too (360 € in Norway).
--
Ole Irgens
Rott (Cerveny) CCB 496
Principal tuba
Alvøen Concert Band
Bergen, Norway
oleirgens
lurker
lurker

Postby bloke » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:18 am

Bags - regardless of price range and quality of materials/construction - are not very protective at all, and should be chosen based on a couple of factors:

- self-evaluation of the owner/user
(ex: "I'm too clumsy to use a bag, so I'll just use my case.")

- value of the instrument
(ex: "This tuba is probably only worth about $800, so I'm not going to spend more than $100 on a bag for it.")
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby oleirgens » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:10 am

bloke wrote:Bags - regardless of price range and quality of materials/construction - are not very protective at all, and should be chosen based on a couple of factors:

- self-evaluation of the owner/user
(ex: "I'm too clumsy to use a bag, so I'll just use my case.")

- value of the instrument
(ex: "This tuba is probably only worth about $800, so I'm not going to spend more than $100 on a bag for it.")

I agree. Gig bags are for carrying, not for protection, even though the Gard bags have some additional padding. I used the hard case for transport the first couple of months, and dragging the (very) big box in and out of cars and playing venues was a hassle. So much easier with the gig bag.
--
Ole Irgens
Rott (Cerveny) CCB 496
Principal tuba
Alvøen Concert Band
Bergen, Norway
oleirgens
lurker
lurker

Postby bort » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:43 am

Hey Ole, cool tuba! I remember when Mike listed those for sale here, they looked great. How does it play?!

I'm probably headed for another Gotz bag. Might consider Marcus Bonna, but the Gotz bags are just nice and sleek.
B&S 4198 (PT-7P)
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Previous

Return to TubeNet