Berlin Phil Bookmark and Share

Musical clipart and multimedia

Berlin Phil

Postby Ace » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:22 pm

Want to hear some astonishing tuba and bass trombone playing? These guys must have almost unlimited air capacity. Whew! To be a great orchestral low brass player is to be
super human.

https://youtu.be/dT6yuyULvDs?t=58

Ace
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Berlin Phil

Postby bort » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:09 am

I have watched that clip MANY times before, and it still impresses me. I've seen the Berlin Phil live twice, and they were great. When I saw them play in Berlin, it was just surreal -- I was literally on the edge of my seat, and I have no recollection of what they played. Watching them in NYC was also great (they played Bruckner 9). The brass players all held masterclasses at Julliard earlier in the day, and I went (to watch) Alexander von Puttkamer's class.

He's a very good teacher, and as you'd probably expect, a really down-to-earth and easy to talk to person. I said hello after his class ended, and he was a very nice and genuine person.
Something big, coming soon...!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Berlin Phil

Postby cambrook » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:43 pm

Yes this is great playing - the blend and balance are fabulous. Part of their skill set is the ability to take a quick breath in the middle of a phrase without disturbing the musical line. I'm not saying that to diminish their work in any way, just in response to the comment about "almost unlimited air capacity".

It's not what you've got it's how you use it :-)
cambrook
pro musician
pro musician

Return to Media