Looking for people to try lubes Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: Looking for people to try lubes

Postby ResilienceOils » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:03 pm

Hello All,
Thanks for all the feedback! I Have gotten so many requests that I have just sent out another set of oils. If you didn't get any the first go around you should be seeing some in your mail box this week! Thanks Again!
ResilienceOils
lurker
lurker

Postby Tuba Shorty » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:43 pm

As a follow up of my first impression,
I gotta say, Man I AM IMPRESSED! The products all work so great for me! I'll go into a bit more detail below.
VALVE OIL
*coats the entire valve
*sticks to the valve (rather than running down and into the bottom of the valve casing)
*Lasts a lot longer than the average valve oil (I forgot to oil my valves for 3 days and I was completely fine)
*The valve oil combines well with my saliva and does not cause build up (This may not pertain to everyone)
TUNING GREASE
*lasts a long time
*thins out from moisture that moves through the instrument (So that balances out the thickness)
*Does dry out fast if your slides are not pushed in
KICK GEL
*made immovable slides movable again
*was an easy touch up to add to already greased slides

My only concern would be that the tuning grease dries out real quick when the slides aren't pushed in all the way. Other than that, AMAZING!
Tuba Shorty
lurker
lurker

Postby Schlepporello » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:02 pm

My samples have not arrived yet.
I'm just crazy about dementia.
BBb Helicon built by Harvey Hartman (for sale)
Miraphone 496
York "Master" (pre-1961)
Yamaha YBB-103
Conn 20K Sousaphone (no worky)
Frank Holton Sousaphone (no valve cluster)
Schlepporello
6 valves
6 valves

Postby SousaWarrior9 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:27 pm

I've tried out all three of the products on various parts of three horns I have (Martin Mammoth top-action, Martin Mammoth sousa, and a King 1241). Here are my impressions:

Valve oil:
Felt good on both my Martin and King tubas, but for whatever reason, feels FANTASTIC on the sousaphone.
Not sure why it made so much more of a difference on the Mammoth sousaphone in comparison to my Mammoth tuba, as they're both Martin and the valves have about the same wear, but the sousaphone's valves are lighter and quicker than they've ever been with this oil.

Slide grease:
Yes it is rather thick, but the action is still pretty good. For My main tuning slide on the Mammoth, I added a touch of the kick gel on top of the grease to speed up the action and I'm happy with the result.

Kick gel:
because all of my slides point down on my Martin, I used the gel sparingly on it, and because I never need to pull slides on the King, I neglected to use it on that horn as well. HOWEVER, my Mammoth sousaphone has a top 1st slide 8) so I lubed that up entirely with the kick gel and now it moves lightning fast so I can do a little on the fly adjustments now if I choose. The kick gel was fantastic for this particular slide.

All things considered, I'm quite happy with the products provided and will most likely buy them again when my current supply runs out, as the oil and gel have worked wonders for my sousaphone in particular.
"Some men are macho men. Others are Martin men."
Martin Handcraft Mammoth Sousa, Martin RMC Mammoth, Indiana Tuba, Church Mini Tuba, Martin Committee Trombone, King Altonium, RMC Indiana Trumpet, Roth-Reynolds Cornet
SousaWarrior9
bugler
bugler

Postby tylerferris1213 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:05 am

My trial package came in the mail today! I'm excited to try them out.
Tyler Ferris
Getzen G-60
Getzen CB-50
Conn Grand Orchestral
"Yamayork" Custom Contrabass FF
tylerferris1213
3 valves
3 valves

Postby ResilienceOils » Mon May 07, 2018 9:25 am

What the word yo?
ResilienceOils
lurker
lurker

Postby the elephant » Mon May 07, 2018 9:47 am

I have not received my package, yet. I responded on March 21st to your request for testers. Should I be waiting for a package every day? If I am not here it will probably be stolen, so I could use a hint as to when to expect it. Thanks...
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby bisontuba » Mon May 07, 2018 3:20 pm

Hi-
I have tried the oil, the MTS grease, and the kick gel....BEST products I have used! The oil is incredible....really a great product. The kick gel is wonderful on stubborn slides. The MTS grease is very smooth.
This company is REALLY fantastic...a huge two thumbs up!
Mark
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Schlepporello » Tue May 08, 2018 7:09 pm

the elephant wrote:I have not received my package, yet. I responded on March 21st to your request for testers. Should I be waiting for a package every day? If I am not here it will probably be stolen, so I could use a hint as to when to expect it. Thanks...

I responded on March 17 and still haven't received any samples yet.
Miraphone 496
York "Master" (pre-1961)
Yamaha YBB-103
Schlepporello
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Tubaryan12 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:44 pm

This product was recommended to me by Chris Hite of Buddy Roger's Music on a chance conversation while discussing the valves on the John Packer euphonium in their display. I emailed Matt and my sample arrived today. I had cleaned my horn over the weekend, and yes, the valves were still sticking. I put about 3 drops of the valve oil on each valve and so far, so good.....not a single sluggish moment. I will update this post as the weeks go on and i put the horns through a rehearsal or two.

One note: I oiled the valves, and this is the first time I've done it where the oil didn't run down the valve, over the threads, and down the valve casing.

****Update****

I'm a couple of rehearsals and a performance into the oil now and I am completely sold. I see no reason to try any other oil. The horns have performed perfectly since trying this product. No catching, no sluggish moments. I can actually go into a performance and only worry about me and not my equipment. I have several bottles of half used oil that will be used for other things besides my horns.

Thanks Matt!
Marzan BBb - 4 rotor, Blokepiece Imperial and Symphony
John Packer JP-274 euphonium, Schilke 52E2
King 607F, Conn Remington (Connstelation)
Posting and You
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Tubaryan12 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:45 pm

The oil is outstanding. Looking forward to slide and rotor oil development.
Posting and You
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Levaix » Mon May 21, 2018 1:37 pm

Got my samples in the mail last week, and so far initial impressions are good. One thing I do want to note is that I did NOT do a full cleaning on either of the horns tested thus far. Warburton makes a product called Clean-Stroke Valve Wash, and not to distract from the product on hand, but I've found it perfect for situations where I want to test out different oils, etc. Also worth mentioning, I have tried out MANY different oils at this point, for reasons I'll get into in a moment. My old favorite was an ancient bottle of Roche Thomas, but for most of my horns I have been using La Tromba T2 for years. On my flugabone the valves are considerably worn so I have to use Hetman's Classic Piston.

Initial thoughts: As others have mentioned, the valve oil is very substantial and has more of a true oily texture than many watery brands on the market. It doesn't have much of a smell and it flows easily onto the valves. The slide grease is more of a clear gel, and I already like it substantially more than the "lip balm" style grease that you get from most brands. The slide kick oil is similar to the valve oil but a much thicker consistency. This one I didn't have much use for but I appreciate it could be very useful for certain horns.

The first horn I tested out was my 1918 Chicago Holton Eb. The valve set from this horn is not original, but rather borrowed from a much later (but still vintage) Holton sousaphone. Therefore the valves do have some wear, but not so much that Hetman's Classic was ever really useful. T2 has been hit or miss. After using the valve wash for about a half hour, I wiped the valves down and liberally applied the F1 valve oil. Initial result... Not so hot. A little sluggish. HOWEVER, I played for another 30-60 minutes, reapplying oil a few times, and it was getting much better! It could be there was still some leftover T2 on the valves that needed to be washed out, but by the end of the session I was quite happy with the valve action.

After that I pulled out my B&S PT-37S euphonium. This horn has ALWAYS had issues with the first valve. This is a big part of why I've tried so many different oils over the years. The valves themselves are very heavy for a euphonium, and I generally have to stretch out the springs to get the valves to return in a timely manner. Truth be told, this horn could definitely use a good cleaning, but for the time being I used Clean-Stroke and gave the valves a thorough rubdown. Once again, initial valve action was not ideal, but after a short break-in the result was very promising. At this point I'd kind of had enough playing for the day, but I will definitely follow up on this. I used the slide grease on this horn and as mentioned before, I definitely like how it works.

I have yet to try out the oil on my Olds flugabone (worn valves require Hetman's Classic) or my JP Sterling baritone (new valves with some break-in issues), so you can expect another post in the future with those horns and a final verdict. Thanks to Matt from Resilience Oils for the samples!
Levaix
bugler
bugler

Postby Oldschooltuba » Mon May 28, 2018 10:38 am

Resilience Oils Review

I was asked to review some products from Resilience Oils. Over all I am happy.

F-1 Valve Oil, True Synthetic. Works very well. I play 5 piston horns. At least 2-3 each day. So I only own 3 rotors. The oil works very well. I apply usually only once a day, sometimes when everything is good not at all. No odor and slippery. I definitely recommend this oil.

F-1 Kick Gel. If I am using this right, it works very well. I only use it on my first and fourth slides as I move these. I cleaned the other stuff I used off and went with the gel. Only a drop or so needed, it will run off. It need to be reapplied every day, but is makes slide manipulation very smooth.

The “paste” (sorry I don’t have the product name in front of me) for the other slides is fine. It’s just not something I use. So I really cannot review this product.

Overall review is that these oils work very well.
Eric Hunter
186CC 5U (gone)
Rudy Meinl 5/4 CC (gone)
Silver CC Piggy (gone)
Meinl Weston F Model 45 (Gone)
B&S 5/4 CC Prototype
Yamaha 822F
York 6/4 CC (yes a real York BAT)
Oldschooltuba
bugler
bugler

Postby ronr » Mon May 28, 2018 11:41 pm

Got an email response from him that he’s no longer sending out samples, so be aware.
Nobody really cares, right?
ronr
bugler
bugler

Postby Schlepporello » Tue May 29, 2018 11:00 am

ronr wrote:Got an email response from him that he’s no longer sending out samples, so be aware.

And I still never got mine.
Miraphone 496
York "Master" (pre-1961)
Yamaha YBB-103
Schlepporello
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Tubaryan12 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:15 am

Update on my update:

I decided to try this oil on my old euphonium. It's a 4 valve Yamaha clone. This thing has given me the blues with sluggish and sticking valves since the beginning. It would take oiling at the start and intermission to keep it going. I've never made it though a complete concert without having problems at some point during the concert. When I purchased my John Packer, I cleaned this horn, oiled it, and put it away over a year ago.

I took the thing out of its case today and of course, the valves were all frozen. Warm air and gentle taps got the valves loose again and I oiled it with resilience oil F-1 valve oil. I've been playing it off an on for the better part of an hour now and not a single sluggish moment. As far as I'm concerned, this has been the real test for me. This horn and me have never worked well together. My chemistry and these piston valves just don't get along. I no longer fear playing this horn now because of this oil.

The Kick gel works great on my tuning slide for my Marzan tuba, and the F-1 MTS grease is crystal clear and as good as anything I've ever used on my slides.

Since Chris from Buddy Roger's Music turned me on to this, I'd like to make my first purchase from him (email sent, btw). If they don't carry it, I'll order directly from Resilience. I'll be putting a bottle of the valve oil in every case!
Posting and You
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Postby the elephant » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:52 am

Schlepporello wrote:
ronr wrote:Got an email response from him that he’s no longer sending out samples, so be aware.

I responded to his request on MARCH 21 and never got anything from him. That says a lot about the company if not the product. I guess I won't be using these products since the guy does not seem to be all that detail oriented as a businessman.

:roll:

Thanks, anyway.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby bloke » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:20 pm

the elephant wrote:
Schlepporello wrote:

I responded to his request on MARCH 21 and never got anything from him. That says a lot about the company if not the product. I guess I won't be using these products since the guy does not seem to be all that detail oriented as a businessman.

:roll:

Thanks, anyway.

Hey...Just remember: I'm your buddy...
I never offered you anything. :P
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby groth » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:58 pm

Looks like the jury is out, the product works well and the guy is a great and generous businessman. I received mine towards the original offer within 3 days it was in my mail box which was impressive. On my piston horn, the valve oil actually went about 3 rehearsals before it needed to be re-applied (can't say that about Al Cass or Blue Juice). Didn't try the other product yet he sends in the bag (for free). I am wondering if they are developing a rotary oil? I'd like to compare with Hetman and others.
202N 4-Valve Rotary Tuba
76' Precision Bass Guitar
groth
bugler
bugler

Postby TheTuba » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:44 pm

groth wrote:Looks like the jury is out, the product works well and the guy is a great and generous businessman. I received mine towards the original offer within 3 days it was in my mail box which was impressive. On my piston horn, the valve oil actually went about 3 rehearsals before it needed to be re-applied (can't say that about Al Cass or Blue Juice). Didn't try the other product yet he sends in the bag (for free). I am wondering if they are developing a rotary oil? I'd like to compare with Hetman and others.

2 members at least have not received their samples.
Still searching for a 8/4 EEb
I mean if you want to, you can buy me the tuba in my name :P
If you're selling a good BBb or CC 5/4 or large 4/4 with 5 valves in 2021 under 6,000, please, contact me!
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

PreviousNext

Return to TubeNet