How to convince parents to buy tuba? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Re: How to convince parents to buy tuba?

Postby Three Valves » Wed May 23, 2018 3:06 pm

Tuba Shorty wrote: ...My parents never bought me a car for my birthday like normal kids...

:shock:
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Wed May 23, 2018 3:15 pm

Tuba Shorty wrote:...My parents never bought me a car for my birthday like normal kids...

This is a troll, yes...??
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby roweenie » Wed May 23, 2018 3:46 pm

As a teenager, I mowed lawns, performed general yard work, delivered newspapers, deep-cleaned a health spa after closing on weekends (disgusting work!), was a church sexton (aka cleaner), prepared a swim club for opening, babysat, and saved almost every nickel from relatives' birthday gifts.

With all I saved, at the age of 17, I was able to buy by myself a brand-new King 1241, as a junior in high school.

NO OTHER PURCHASE in my life, before or since, has been nearly as satisfying.

Oh, and I also bought (in the same year) my first car (1968 Chevy II, three on the column), for $1400 less than I paid for the tuba.......

(and I also walked, uphill, both to and from school in the snow in May with no shoes..... :D )
"Outlook not so good"
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Three Valves » Wed May 23, 2018 4:04 pm

bloke wrote:
Tuba Shorty wrote:...My parents never bought me a car for my birthday like normal kids...

You can't troll a troller!!

:tuba:
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Wed May 23, 2018 10:09 pm

Three Valves wrote:
bloke wrote:

I swam barefoot through an unheated pool for dozens of yards !
bloke

Postby TheTuba » Wed May 23, 2018 10:17 pm

I have a pet rock
Still searching for a 8/4 EEb
I mean if you want to, you can buy me the tuba in my name :P
If you're selling a good BBb or CC 5/4 or large 4/4 with 5 valves in 2021 under 6,000, please, contact me!
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Tuba Shorty » Thu May 24, 2018 2:27 am

Three Valves wrote:
bloke wrote:

It ain't a troll. Literally every kid I know has had their parent's buy them a car for their birthday or graduation. Some of them even new 2018 cars! I honestly don't think it's the smartest to give to a new driver but, it's apparently the norm where I live.
Tuba Shorty
lurker
lurker

Postby hup_d_dup » Thu May 24, 2018 7:30 am

Tuba Shorty wrote:it's apparently the norm where I live.

Where people are normal.

Other places, people are not so normal.

Hup
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Three Valves » Thu May 24, 2018 7:40 am

Tuba Shorty wrote:
It ain't a troll. Literally every kid I know has had their parent's buy them a car for their birthday or graduation. Some of them even new 2018 cars! I honestly don't think it's the smartest to give to a new driver but, it's apparently the norm where I live.

I also went to High School in an area reminiscent of Ferris Beuler's Day Off.

With the exception that the only kid that drove a new car to school was the daughter of a car dealership owner, most of us worked after school (miraculously went to college and became successful despite our handicap) and overt displays of consumption were considered tacky. (Well known corporate executives drove Chrysler K-cars made locally)
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Three Valves » Thu May 24, 2018 7:41 am

hup_d_dup wrote:
Where people are normal.

...and all the children are above average!!

Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Thu May 24, 2018 8:45 am

I would have to be really proud of one of my kids to buy them a 2018 car...such as
"the kid did about $25,000 worth of extra work for me, so I bought them a $15,000 car" proud.
bloke

Postby Ken Crawford » Thu May 24, 2018 9:18 am

My siblings and I convinced my parents to buy us instruments by practicing for hours a day and demonstrating proficiency.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Thu May 24, 2018 9:32 am

I practiced for hours a day, developed a solo repertoire, was hired to play (solo guitar gigs at parties) using my Mom's old F-hole (Kay-made) guitar, and eventually bought myself a nicer (classic-style...so called "classical") guitar with the gig money.
When I turned 16, it became easier, because I was old enough to drive, but - of course - my parents made me pay for insurance for me to drive my Mom's car to those gigs, and to put gas back in the tank before I got home. (Luckily for me, my Mom had just gotten her own car, as before that she would use a bike to come to daytime school PTA events, use our kids' wagon to grocery shop, or make special arrangements to take my Dad to work so she could use "the" car.)
When I started being paid (tuba) to do some church gigs in my later teens, play at a theme park in the summer, do some (tuba) recordings at Ardent Studios (l.p.'s) and Tanner Studios (TV/radio station ID's and advertising jingles), and sub for my teacher in the orchestra (c. age 17), I bought a Miraphone tuba with some of the money...right at the time that I needed to hand my high school's three-valve King back to the school...so it worked out really well, and I felt very lucky to have the work, rather than (as I had done up to age 15 or so) cut yards and work at a car wash. Parenthetically, I did work at SEARS (age 18) in the summer after my first year of kolij loading trucks, as I had decided to take a bunch of courses (two English & two American history) during the two compact summer "semesters" (which precluded working at the theme park again that summer). That strategy, though, did allow me to graduate in three years, yet with a whole bunch of extra chamber ensemble and recital playing experiences (even though an "ed" degree).
bloke

Postby Aglenntuba » Tue May 29, 2018 12:26 pm

I got my first tuba in 2014 by starting my job sacking groceries when I was 15. I saved up that money, plus any birthday or graduation money, and then my parents cosigned a $2000 bank loan for me. I was able to pay it off relatively easy (~$70 a month if I remember? I often paid extra to get it done earlier) and this also jump started my credit score as well. I would definitely recommend getting a part time job. Since my first tuba just about paid for college, I have also been able to take out a conservatively sized student loan (subsidized, so it isn't accruing interest yet) for my 2nd tuba.
Aglenntuba
bugler
bugler

Postby MaryAnn » Tue May 29, 2018 4:40 pm

Slamson wrote:It never ceases to amaze me that my students can't afford to buy a tuba... but they all drive nicer, newer vehicles than I do. Parents don't seem to have any qualms about buying them something that will, at best, give them transportation for a couple of years, when a tuba can last a lifetime. Kind of like an education in general.

Short-sighted budgeting. And then there's the lack of depreciation.... my first tuba's worth lots more today than when I bought it.

To add to that.....do you have a smart phone and what did it cost and what is it costing? I spent some $$$ on the tuba I wanted, but I use a $20 (literally) flip phone I bought at Target, that costs me a$45 a month in pay-ahead fees. No it does not have a data plan; my local library has computers I can use daily for online whatever, and the library card is free. I see people on public assistance using expensive smart phones with huge data plans and consider them a "necessity." Huh? So what are you willing to give up in order to have more money free to spend on a tuba? That would be a place to negotiate with your parents.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Postby TheTuba » Tue May 29, 2018 6:06 pm

MaryAnn wrote:
Slamson wrote:It never ceases to amaze me that my students can't afford to buy a tuba... but they all drive nicer, newer vehicles than I do. Parents don't seem to have any qualms about buying them something that will, at best, give them transportation for a couple of years, when a tuba can last a lifetime. Kind of like an education in general.

Short-sighted budgeting. And then there's the lack of depreciation.... my first tuba's worth lots more today than when I bought it.

To add to that.....do you have a smart phone and what did it cost and what is it costing? I spent some $$$ on the tuba I wanted, but I use a $20 (literally) flip phone I bought at Target, that costs me a$45 a month in pay-ahead fees. No it does not have a data plan; my local library has computers I can use daily for online whatever, and the library card is free. I see people on public assistance using expensive smart phones with huge data plans and consider them a "necessity." Huh? So what are you willing to give up in order to have more money free to spend on a tuba? That would be a place to negotiate with your parents.

I don't really have anything of "my own"(phones,smart stuff, or video games). I guess hard work practicing for the next three years will help me
If you're selling a good BBb or CC 5/4 or large 4/4 with 5 valves in 2021 under 6,000, please, contact me!
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Postby TheTuba » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:01 pm

Ok my game plan is to save up as much money as I can for a Miraphone or a used PT

While Wessex and other cheap (as In pricepoint) tubas are certainly very good, I will wait in the process of saving up to see if they win any major audition, or conference. Once that happens, I know non-tuba people like that sound, and would use it in a band or orchestra.Then I would know that they have at least caught up with other manufacturers (if not already or close too)
Granted, in the mean time I need to play as many tubas as possible to get a idea of what I should buy.
Is my train of thought good?
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Sousaswag » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:40 am

Keep in mind... You're still going to sound like you no matter what you play. I'll always recommend buying a "tried and true" used brand rather than Chinese, but do believe that the gap in quality is shrinking quite fast between Chinese and German brands. About the major orchestra thing: Again, you are going to sound like you on any horn you play. Chris Olka sounds like Chris Olka on each Wessex horn. You need to find what horn plays the best for YOU, and stop worrying about silly things like which mouthpiece to buy or which case to buy. I get it, I went through that too. We all do. But I already have what I believe works best for me, and don't really see a need to change anything. Like I said, use your discretion. Good luck, and seriously, get a job asap, that's how you'll make the money for that horn!
VMI 3302 BBb
Besson 'New Standard' 968 euphonium
Sousaswag
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:04 am

ya know...
These guys had a plan for getting access to their parents' money.
They were caught, but claimed that they were "abused" 'n' stuff.
Their jury didn't buy it, but juries are changing... :|

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyle_and_Erik_Menendez
bloke

Postby pecktime » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:13 pm

There’s more to tuba music than the goal of winning auditions and playing in an orchestra.

Learn to play some jazz/ klezmer/ funk with some mates and you will earn $ right away, but more importantly learn a lot more about making music!

In fact, learn the euphonium and the bass guitar as well.

I know some amazing tuba players who don’t play half as much as me because they don’t have flexibility / improvisational skills/ openness to all music.
MW 3450, 2011FA HoJo, Conn 20J
pecktime
bugler
bugler

PreviousNext

Return to TubeNet