the cause of embouchure octave buzzing Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

the cause of embouchure octave buzzing

Postby bloke » Wed May 30, 2018 9:11 pm

I actually believe I've discovered the cause, and it's so obvious that I'm embarrassed that I didn't figure it out decades ago.

I'm not going to reveal what I believe is the cause - not even privately, because the other outspoken, here, won't agree with me anyway.

I am, though, going to presume an asshological "above the fray" posture, and - if anyone accepts the troll, here, watch others present all the same old proposed causes and offer all the same old proposed cures.

yes...This is a troll, because I'm attempting to goad people into posting.

yes...I honestly believe that I've discovered the primary cause of embouchure octave buzzing.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: the cause of embouchure octave buzzing

Postby Matt Walters » Wed May 30, 2018 9:38 pm

What is, "embouchure octave buzzing". Definition please.
Matt Walters
Last chair tubist
Who Cares What Ensemble
Owns old tubas that play better than what you have.
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer
The Tuba Whisperer

Postby bloke » Wed May 30, 2018 9:54 pm

Matt Walters wrote:What is, "embouchure octave buzzing". Definition please.

flattered/honored that you would read my troll, sir"

blokepedia wrote:attempting to play a pitch, but it comes out as two pitches - an octave apart

I didn't say that I wouldn't state what does ~not~ cause it...so this (below) is something that (though many believe it is the cause, because this condition is related) does ~not~ directly cause it:

- fatigue
bloke

Postby TheTuba » Wed May 30, 2018 10:23 pm

bloke wrote:

yes...This is a troll, because I'm attempting to goad people into posting.

First time I heard a troller admit to the troll before anyone posted LOL.
Still searching for a 8/4 EEb
I mean if you want to, you can buy me the tuba in my name :P
If you're selling a good BBb or CC 5/4 or large 4/4 with 5 valves in 2021 under 6,000, please, contact me!
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bort » Wed May 30, 2018 10:23 pm

Cause

Solution
B&S 4198 (PT-7P)
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby TheTuba » Wed May 30, 2018 10:51 pm

Question:
I never found holding the tuba on my lap as normal. It felt heavy and slippy. Is it alright if I put it on my chair? As I grow taller would I have to change to a "lap" position?
Still searching for a 8/4 EEb
I mean if you want to, you can buy me the tuba in my name :P
If you're selling a good BBb or CC 5/4 or large 4/4 with 5 valves in 2021 under 6,000, please, contact me!
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Postby iiipopes » Wed May 30, 2018 11:27 pm

Awwww....
You know I am off the wall enough with my theories of how the universe works, (or brass instruments, for that matter - pun intended) that I would probably agree with you.
"Bessophone" w/ 2-piece Imperial Blokepiece,
Lexan 32.6 Modified Helleberg rim & modified .080 extender
Wessex BR115 w/ Wick Ultra SMB6
King Super 20 trumpet w/ Bach 3C/76
Fanned fret bass and electric guitars
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Postby ren » Thu May 31, 2018 3:59 am

I believe there are many possible causes but since I have had a little of this lately, Id be interested for you to share what you think the causes are as a mouthpiece maker.

:)
ren

Postby timothy42b » Thu May 31, 2018 8:33 am

Is this the "double buzz?"

I vote for loss of control of lower lip as cause, and firming that up a bit as cure. There may be other causes too.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Postby PlayTheTuba » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:38 am

What about tightly-torqued or long-time-screwed-together components?
PlayTheTuba
bugler
bugler

Postby brassbow » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:06 am

I agree with the double buzz. A double buzz is where the upper and . Lower lip vibrate on different frequencies. Here is my solution ( passes salt around)

First when the double buzz happens allow it to continue to get the feel of the wrong way. Next slowly THINK about a slight change. Changes are sometimes less then a millimeter differences. By thinking you are allowing the micro adustments to happen as apposed to doing as more muscles get involved on a subconscious level. Once you get the feel when the double buzz disappears, play to remember the right feeling. To cement the idea allow your lips to double buzz then adjust so no double buzz. As a longtone doublebuz then corrected,double, then correct. Do this untill you can double buzz at will. It's called control
Conn 2j Eb tuba,
Eb SARV bugle by R. Stewart,
Continental Eb/F alto,
Olds ambassador baritone,
Zeus Bb cornet,
Hawks and son 1911 eb cornet,
Holton colligiate trumpet,
King G/F 1930's field trumpet
Yes i play them all!!!!!!!!
brassbow
bugler
bugler

Postby timothy42b » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:56 am

brassbow wrote:I agree with the double buzz. A double buzz is where the upper and . Lower lip vibrate on different frequencies. Here is my solution ( passes salt around)

Probably it's side to side. At least, according to some people who've thought about it more than I.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Postby ren » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:51 am

bloke wrote:I actually believe I've discovered the cause, and it's so obvious that I'm embarrassed that I didn't figure it out decades ago.

I'm not going to reveal what I believe is the cause

I can do something which I use to think was a double buzz. But which is not, I call it a hyper buzz, and its pretty freaky because it defies the laws of tuba.
Or maybe it doesnt and I just dont get it.

Anyway, I dont think you should cop out on this because you think peeps wont agree with you. Just tell us what you think.
Even pros have been completely freaked out by the double buzz, so lets dispell the myth starting with u :)

You make mouthpieces after all, why the hangup?
ren

Postby bloke » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:11 pm

OK... :|

"fatigued muscles"...?? sure...of course...obviously...

BUT...

MORE THAN "fatigued muscles", it is

"fatigued muscles trying to play a pitch on a tuba that is the wrong length".

I (yeah, as in the original post: "it's so obvious that I'm embarrassed that I didn't figure it out decades ago") FINALLY discovered that pitches that split into octaves are pitches where my TIRED muscles (yes, but...) are trying to "lip/favor" pitches in tune, rather than the tuba being the correct length for that troublesome pitch to resonate.
...move a slide...use a flatter/sharper (whichever is appropriate) fingering...etc...OR (simply) play the pitch out-of-tune (at the frequency that the tuba's given length prefers to resonate) It STOPS. :shock:

I don't read very much on trombone forums about this problem. :arrow: :idea:
bloke

Postby ren » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:35 pm

Thats pretty interesting. but what if the player is the problem, trying to buzz the pitch and the pitch is off but the instrument is the right length.
ren

Postby bloke » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:40 pm

ren wrote:Thats pretty interesting. but what if the player is the problem, trying to buzz the pitch and the pitch is off but the instrument is the right length.

That person, then, SHOULD be playing the PIANO...you know, the piano in their den, of in the back of their own house. :lol:
bloke

Postby timothy42b » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:24 pm

bloke wrote:OK... :|

I don't read very much on trombone forums about this problem. :arrow: :idea:

Well, that one I can answer authoritatively, because I live mostly on trombone forums.

Yes. We talk it extensively. Once the habit forms it can be tough to break. I think after considerable discussion over a length of time we've arrived at consensus.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bloke » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:36 pm

For me, "accurate slide positions" is the reason that I know longer attempt to double on bass trombone...
...It simply requires too much maintenance time (for me).
I still suspect that anyone who has trouble with this (regardless of the brass instrument) is
- tired
- trying to buzz a different pitch than is defined by the length of the instrument (whether the buzz frequency is "off", or whether the length of the air column is "off"...either way, they aren't matching up, and this acoustical mismatch is causing - yeah, along with muscle exhaustion - the conflict/interference.)
bloke

Postby ren » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:53 pm

My bass trombone sound IS a double buzz. Dont let me near one.
ren

Postby timothy42b » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:22 am

I don't disagree with bloke at all about the problem of playing a pitch on the wrong length of tubing. I believe it to be a major problem on tuba and trombone. When you chip a note that's the most common cause. (It can come from either direction - think the wrong pitch for your tubing length, even slightly, and you get a chipped note or bad tone; think the right pitch for the note, and have the tubing length wrong and the same thing happens.)

Where I disagree is the idea that trombonists don't have that problem. They have infinitely adjustable tubing length, why would they ever do it wrong? But as bloke notes, it isn't that easy to get every position dialed in in every octave, and hit them at speed.

You have to make the tubing the right length. You have to think and set for the right pitch. Depending somewhat on the range, you also have to have the mouthpiece angle just right, and the tongue level right. I was experimenting this morning on trombone, playing a G above middle C. With the slide right, angle right, pitch firmly in my brain, I succeeded in consistently chipping the start of the note simply by using a wrong vowel sound.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Return to TubeNet