Hirsbrunner HB-50 First Valve repair

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
tubamatt97
lurker
lurker

Hirsbrunner HB-50 First Valve repair

Post by tubamatt97 »

Does anyone have any experience with replacing valves, know of anyone who might have a spare to sell, or could custom-make a new valve? My HB-50's first valve sustained some damage in the years before I bought it, and was badly repaired with lead solder, leading to some air leakage. I have contacted Hirsbrunner but the only valve they have is slightly too small (0.12mm!).

Thanks in advance!
Matt
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Hirsbrunner HB-50 First Valve repair

Post by PMeuph »

Have you tried bring your horn to a very good repair tech? If you give use your location, the TNFJ will give you names.

While I don't know what one new Hirshbrunner piston (or B&S if Bloke's suggestion works for your tuba), I speculate that it would not be more than having a good tech, fix the leak, and if need be send the piston off to Andersen.

Also, a piston will not be a plug and play repair, a good tech will have to fit it in the casing.
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
tubamatt97
lurker
lurker

Post by tubamatt97 »

bloke wrote:There is no need to contact me privately, because this is all that I know...

...but for some latter-era (not current era) Hirsbrunner piston tubas I noticed that the pistons were nickel plated, large diameter, and had a little gimmicky adjustable valve guide (a horizontal cylinder of delrin that can be slid in-and-out and locked into place).

I also noticed that those particular valves from that particular era are nearly identical to B&S valves except
- valve guide located on a different side (easy to move)
- Hirbrunner are barely smaller diameter (easy to lap in a B&S valve to fit a Hirsbrunner casing)
- B&S is stainless steel, instead of nickel plated (either "so what", or have Anderson plate a B&S stainless steel valve to size)

I have NO IDEA whether your tuba was made during the era that Hirsbrunner was using those valves...and - even if those Hirsbrunner valves were NOT actually made by B&S and "cloaked" to be something else - the port alignment is the same, and diameter is within .001" of the same.

...and that's all I've got for you.
Thanks for your reply, my tuba was made in 1982, would that be around the right time?
tubamatt97
lurker
lurker

Post by tubamatt97 »

PMeuph wrote:Have you tried bring your horn to a very good repair tech? If you give use your location, the TNFJ will give you names.

While I don't know what one new Hirshbrunner piston (or B&S if Bloke's suggestion works for your tuba), I speculate that it would not be more than having a good tech, fix the leak, and if need be send the piston off to Andersen.

Also, a piston will not be a plug and play repair, a good tech will have to fit it in the casing.
Thanks! I'm located in Melbourne, Australia, but willing to ship/go overseas if needed.
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Post by PMeuph »

tubamatt97 wrote: Thanks! I'm located in Melbourne, Australia, but willing to ship/go overseas if needed.
There's Ken Herrick who's a repair tech in Australia and a forum, he may be able to fix or assess your problem. I don't know how close he is to Melbourne.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=32151" target="_blank
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
Patrase
bugler
bugler

Post by Patrase »

Matt

Try Gustafson custom horns in Adelaide
Miraphone Norwegian Star
Yamaha YBB-632 Bb Neo