Chris Olka tries Wessex Prokofiev #2 Bookmark and Share

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!

Re: Chris Olka tries Wessex Prokofiev #2

Postby Stryk » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:29 am

ren wrote: playing c York tubas in a military band is the wrong sound. .

Please explain - I am floored anyone would make this remark.
Terry Stryker

Old, ugly horns that play really, really well.
Stryk
Retired Educator
Retired Educator

Postby bloke » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:19 pm

Stryk wrote:
ren wrote: playing c York tubas in a military band is the wrong sound. .

Please explain - I am floored anyone would make this remark.

Let me "help". :mrgreen:

- Military bands mostly play marches. They play a few other things, but the other things they play are played in "march style".
- Most marches are in "flat keys".
- C tubas cannot play in "flat" keys".
- Military bandsmen must double as infantrymen, cavalry, and medics, and simply do not have the time it would take to learn how to play - as just one example - in Gb major on a C tuba (whoops...that's actually a more-easily-fingered scale on a C tuba than on a Bb tuba...but, well...) such as the "old warhorse" Rakoczy transcription and the majority of other band pieces - as most band pieces are composed in Gb major.
- A 186 BBb tuba is always going to offer more "band bass" type of sound than a Holton 345 CC tuba, because - well - it's a BBb tuba.

bloke "a ~~~TRUE EXPERT~~~ on military bandsmanship" :|

...and sorry for having to clarify these salient points...
...back to your discussion, gentlemen... :D
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby ren » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:04 pm

jtuba wrote:
ren wrote:
They are just waiting for an amazing bflat.

There are several already on the market IMO. Speaking as a "professional" military musician, it's easy to get turned around on fingers for the different keys, esp. for BBb if that's the key tuba we abandoned (years/decades) ago and yet can still do the job on CC (right notes, right time, right intonation). I'm a much more capable sight reader on CC, which in turn means I prepare more quickly for performance on CC. I've used BBb for performances too, when I had access to a 195P, an amazing BBb I think. Of course that can be remedied with practice, but life happens in military music too.

I agree with you, I played a CC tuba in the military for the same reason, Im just saying a great bflat tuba would sound amazing in the marine band if the whole section used them. C tubas dont have the classic band sound regardless of the convenience and familiarity.
Miraphone 188 (gone)
Rudy Meinl 5/4 (gone)
HB 21 (yes)
Wessex Chicago York (yes)
ren
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Ken Crawford » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:51 pm

ren wrote:
jtuba wrote:
ren wrote:
They are just waiting for an amazing bflat.

There are several already on the market IMO. Speaking as a "professional" military musician, it's easy to get turned around on fingers for the different keys, esp. for BBb if that's the key tuba we abandoned (years/decades) ago and yet can still do the job on CC (right notes, right time, right intonation). I'm a much more capable sight reader on CC, which in turn means I prepare more quickly for performance on CC. I've used BBb for performances too, when I had access to a 195P, an amazing BBb I think. Of course that can be remedied with practice, but life happens in military music too.

I agree with you, I played a CC tuba in the military for the same reason, Im just saying a great bflat tuba would sound amazing in the marine band if the whole section used them. C tubas dont have the classic band sound regardless of the convenience and familiarity.

The tuba players in the Presidents Own switch between all tuba keys regularly, daily even. They play BBb (3 valve!) sousaphones for ceremonies. They all sound frickin amazing on whatever they play, (probably even on a Wessex) because they are professionals. This idea of a "classic band sound" is total bull-only... Play all the correct notes in time, in tune, at the correct volume. That's the "classic band sound" I like...
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Postby ren » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:57 am

Yes c tubas sound like bflat tubas sorry I forgot it’s just a matter of playing ceremonies on sousaphones.

Just like a trumpets sound like d trumpets and b flat trumpets sound like c trumpets and ...

Eflat tubas sound like f tubas and English horns sound like oboes and euphoniums sound like cellos and clarinets sound like saxophones etc :D

And miraphones sound like York’s and holtons sound like Marzans and conns sound like Yamaha’s and drum Corp g tubas sound like kaiser bflats and sousaphones sound like martins and Meinl Weston’s sound like hirsbrunners and Rudy Meinl sound like perantuccis I think you get it
Miraphone 188 (gone)
Rudy Meinl 5/4 (gone)
HB 21 (yes)
Wessex Chicago York (yes)
ren
pro musician
pro musician

Postby TheTuba » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:50 am

ren wrote:Yes c tubas sound like bflat tubas sorry I forgot it’s just a matter of playing ceremonies on sousaphones.

Just like a trumpets sound like d trumpets and b flat trumpets sound like c trumpets and ...

Eflat tubas sound like f tubas and English horns sound like oboes and euphoniums sound like cellos and clarinets sound like saxophones etc :D

And miraphones sound like York’s and holtons sound like Marzans and conns sound like Yamaha’s and drum Corp g tubas sound like kaiser bflats and sousaphones sound like martins and Meinl Weston’s sound like hirsbrunners and Rudy Meinl sound like perantuccis I think you get it

Best of all, I sound like myself!
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Previous

Return to TubeNet Sponsors