public notice Bookmark and Share

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!

public notice

Postby bloke » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:34 pm

If...
- you just bought a beat-up instrument from someone else, and wish for me to fix it up for your own use
- you are hoping to sell a beat-up instrument to someone else, and wish for me to fix it up so that it is saleable
- your school is borrowing a beat-up instrument from another school for a year in exchange for you/your school fixing it all up
...I do ~not~ deem it as my responsibility for you to necessarily have entered into, financially, something that is deemed - by you - to be "good deal".
...I ~do~ deem it as my responsibility for ~me~ to necessarily enter into, financially, things that that are deemed - by me - to be "good deals".

If...
- you bought a shiny-new instrument - which was hastily assembled - from someone else (regardless of whether that hastily assembled instrument was priced low or was not priced low...and regardless of whether the brand name engraved on the instrument is hyped or not),
...I do not deem it as my responsibility accept a challenge to make an in-vain attempt to transfigure that instrument.

In general...
- I'll bend over backwards to be competitive on the sale of goods, but not on the sale of my time.
- I don't need very many goods to get by just fine.
- My remaining time is all that I really value greatly...and yeah...when my upper body is too tired to repair another instrument, I spend a great deal of recuperative time here...chuckling and smiling.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: public notice

Postby windshieldbug » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:41 am

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Postby Doc » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:13 am

bloke wrote: I spend a great deal of recuperative time here...chuckling and smiling.

And, according to some, laughing at your own jokes. LOL

Time is money, and money is time. And my time has tremendous value to ME. I've always been that way, but the value of that time has increased as I have aged.

BTW, if I send you any work, it's because high quality repairmen/craftsmen no longer in the area (and haven't for a long time), and (of course) I trust you to do a fine job.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:52 pm

It's probably always best to contract a good instrument repair person to repair already-owned instruments which are going to continued to be used.
- They probably won't be that badly damaged and not that costly to repair, as you (the instrument's owner) have been owning and caring for them all along.
- There is no expectation nor hope of profiting off someone's else time and efforts.

If an instrument is being newly-purchased for one's own use or for one's own ensemble's use, it's probably a good idea to purchase a good instrument (not just shiny) that is in good condition.
Last edited by bloke on Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke

Postby Doc » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:12 pm

bloke wrote:It's probably always best to contract a good instrument repair person to repair already-owned instruments which are going to continued to be used.
- They probably won't be that badly damaged and not that costly to repair, as you (the instrument's owner) have been owning and caring for it all along.
- There is no expectation nor hope of profiting off someone's else time and efforts.

If an instrument is being newly-purchased for one's own use or for one's own ensemble's use, it's probably a good idea to purchase a good instrument (not just shiny) that is in good condition.

^^^ *Like*^^^
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby djwpe » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:23 pm

Very similar to my philosophy of business:

1) respect other people's time as you do your own
2) pay a fair (in their mind )price for other people's time
3) charge what the market will bear for MY time
4) F*&%k you, pay me.
djwpe
bugler
bugler

Postby Three Valves » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:15 pm

4) I have to watch Goodfellas again!!
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby djwpe » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:35 pm

Three Valves wrote:4) I have to watch Goodfellas again!!

Glad you got the reference.
djwpe
bugler
bugler

Return to TubeNet Sponsors