Mouthpieces on PT-6P? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Mouthpieces on PT-6P?

Postby willthetubaguy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:16 pm

Just wondering what mouthpieces you guys have found to work best on the PT-6P. I love Laskey MPs but none of them have a PT shank.
willthetubaguy
bugler
bugler

Re: Mouthpieces on PT-6P?

Postby bloke » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:34 pm

Mine are expensive, and - maybe - "too damn" expensive... (described below: $260 - $265)

...but - having one of those tubas here for a while - I messed around with combinations of my parts, and discovered that I liked THIS best:

- my "Imperial cup"
- my "Imperial back-bore (which, currently, is the only back-bore that I offer with that cup)...and ~NOT~ the "fits the PT mouthpiece receivers" P shank size, but the :arrow: STANDARD shank size (which - yes - reduces the so-called "gap" - with this particular configuration for this particular application - to a minimum).
- either a extra tall ("Profundo" or - if a Houser-design rim - "XD" rim)
~OR~
- one of my Cup Extender Rings (which adds the same amount of cup depth as do the tall rims).

The resulting mouthpiece cup shape is (minimally described) a cylinder on top of a shallow funnel.

A few people who play better than do I (and who make much more money playing the tuba than do I) seem to agree that this combination of parts works well with that particular model of tuba.

I would prefer that others (below) not post "you should listen to bloke", but that some ALTERNATIVE ideas also be presented (as most who play that model of tuba do NOT use this configuration, nor even any of my mouthpieces). It's up to ~you~ to decide what to order and try out, and - most of the time - I stay out of these "TubeNet Freak Jury" threads (where forty different things are all presented as "the best").
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Davy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:29 pm

I have found the PT-50 to be a solid match (for me, anyway). Also, the Giddings Bayamo works well, too.
Gnagey-Phone CC
Edwards B-454 Bass Trombone
Shires Q-30 Tenor trombone
King 3B Trombone
Fender P Bass
Ibanez SRH-505 Bass

Army Musician

"Don't play what's there; play what's not there".
-Miles Davis
Davy
bugler
bugler

Postby pauvog1 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:09 pm

In addition to the comments above, I think the Giddings Alan Baer MP could be a nice choice as well. I'm not sure which shank size you would want, probably the euro (the standard size of the MMVI didn't fit in my instrument, which also has an in between shank size).

I also know folks who like the pt-50, pt-88, Laskey 30H, and Giddings Sass model on the pt-6p as well.
Kalison DS
B&S PT-18p (MRP F)
pauvog1
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Adam C. » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:50 pm

willthetubaguy wrote:Just wondering what mouthpieces you guys have found to work best on the PT-6P. I love Laskey MPs but none of them have a PT shank.

I have made sounds that I liked (and got paid for) on a PT6P using a Laskey MP. I'm currently using a Dillon Olka CB2 with American shank. It inserts even more deeply than the Laskey does, but I don't have a problem with it.
Adam C.
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Ken Crawford » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:00 pm

Laskey 30H.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Postby willthetubaguy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:06 pm

Would you guys recommend an Amer or Euro shank on it? Or should I have an Amer shank adjusted?
willthetubaguy
bugler
bugler

Postby Matt Ransom » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:25 am

Careful with shank choices on the PT6P. I have an older 24 year old smaller diameter valve (with the bend in the first slide) 6P that has a receiver considerably larger than the newer instruments. The PT euro shank goes into mine at least a half inch further than on the new receivers. Not sure of the age of your instrument, but thought you should be aware of that just in case.
The gap does make a difference in response. I like my large receiver.

Mine also weighs A LOT less than the newer 6Ps. It never ceases to surprise me when I pick up other 6Ps.
Matt Ransom
pro musician
pro musician

Postby joh_tuba » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:33 am

Yes... there is tremendous variation in reciever size on the PT6 over the years.
joh_tuba
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:55 am

I should not be posting again (looks too much like advertising), but my Imperial back-bore is available in the four most commonly-encountered shank sizes.
small/British(bass trombone), standard, in-between (Schilke/Perantucci/Miraphone), and euro.

The mouthpiece I suggested seems to do best with the most minimal possible distance between the end of the mouthpiece and the choke-point (i.e. the actual beginning point of the expansion of the mouthpipe tube).
bloke

Postby hockeyched » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:30 am

Had a pt50, played a mrP 5.0 and everyone in the room preferred it, so now I play the Mr. P 5.0.
-Josh Davis
Ball State University DA in progress
pt6p, pt10
hockeyched
bugler
bugler

Postby michael_glenn » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:06 am

It’s not a PT-6P, but I get great results on my PT-6 with a Denis Wick AT4U.
Michael Ebie
B&S PT-6
B&S PT-10
michael_glenn
3 valves
3 valves

Postby pauvog1 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:38 pm

pauvog1 wrote:In addition to the comments above, I think the Giddings Alan Baer MP could be a nice choice as well. I'm not sure which shank size you would want, probably the euro (the standard size of the MMVI didn't fit in my instrument, which also has an in between shank size).

I also know folks who like the pt-50, pt-88, Laskey 30H, and Giddings Sass model on the pt-6p as well.

If I were to play one of those, it would be between my imperial w/ profundo rim and my gw baer.
Kalison DS
B&S PT-18p (MRP F)
pauvog1
4 valves
4 valves

Postby tubalex » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:22 pm

There are plenty of good choices I'm familiar with, especially having spent time around SO MANY of these for four years in Bloomington and then another three in Indianapolis. Some of the ones already listed are solid picks.

I feel that the best currently-made option for the PT6p designed by either Mr. Perantoni or Mr. Tucci, if you want to go that route, is the MRP 5.0 premium. The RT 50, RT 50+ and the standard MRP 5.0 are very good, but the MRP premium sounds and feels like a distinctly better class of "good match" to me for 5/4 C tubas, especially the PTs and Miraphones.

Remember the answer to the question "how many mouthpieces do you need, honey?" is always the same: "just one more."
Last edited by tubalex on Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexander Lapins, DM
Miraphone Artist
Eastman Artist
University of Tennessee Faculty
Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp Faculty
Quintasonic Brass
http://www.music.utk.edu/faculty/lapins.php
https://www.youtube.com/user/tubalex2112
tubalex
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bort » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:39 pm

IIRC, Steve Campbell used a Monette 94 with his PT6p.
B&S 4198 (PT-7P)
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby joh_tuba » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:43 pm

Two observations:
1) The PT6 is a horn that it works well with just about any mouthpiece.
2) The mouthpieces suggested are popular to use with a large variety of horns presumably because they work well with just about any horn.

Conclusion:
IF you have a favorite mouthpiece it'll almost certainly still be your favorite mouthpiece when plugged into a PT6.

------------------------------------
Answer to the original question: I've tried most of the previously suggested mouthpeices and eventually settled on a Parke Offenloch.
joh_tuba
4 valves
4 valves

Postby mbeastep » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:05 am

I decided to go for a more focused and less loud approach with my PT-6P and have liked the G & W Diablo "Light Days" mp.

mbeastep
Calgary
mbeastep
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Levaix » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:45 pm

At one point when I was still at school, the majority of the tuba studio played a PT-6/PT-6P, and virtually all of them also played a PT-88. Don't have much experience myself with that horn, but I will say the guys who could play well sounded real good on that setup. I will also mention that one of the players I enjoyed listening to the most gave up on the 88 and moved to the 48, because in his words it still sounded like him, but with a lot less effort. YMMV
Levaix
bugler
bugler

Postby timayer » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:20 pm

On my rotor PT-6, a Mike Finn H changed my life. The horn sounded great on a PT-50 and PT-50+; sounded fine with a Helleberg. The MF-H was heads and shoulders above them.

I'll qualify my response, though: I tend to have an aggressive playing style, and the MF-H reined me in. The PT-50+ and especially the PT-50 tended to be too "live" for me.

I had the same experience on a Miraphone 129X (I forgot to check specifically which it was...) that I used to test all of the mouthpieces (I didn't have the ability to test a ton of mouthpieces on my own horn due to location and shipping costs). The horn sounded good with all of the mouthpieces I used, but was a different instrument with the MF-H.

I only say that to highlight that the MF-H would likely be just as good on the PT-6P as it was on the PT-6...If you play exactly like me.
timayer
bugler
bugler

Postby TheTuba » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:46 pm

For my teacher, he uses a RT-44

yea I know its a weird choice, but ask him how he got to be a finalist in the ITEC competition

he has a very rich "german" tone
Still searching for a 8/4 EEb
I mean if you want to, you can buy me the tuba in my name :P
If you're selling a good BBb or CC 5/4 or large 4/4 with 5 valves in 2021 under 6,000, please, contact me!
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Next

Return to TubeNet