time travel Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Re: time travel

Postby Three Valves » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:46 pm

My Grandmother had a Rambler American (pre AMC) but despite that, my parents still got an AMC Pacer X. (At least it was the “nice” one)

I remember our first home was a three bedroom row house with no AC.

They didn’t wait to have kids until they could afford us. :roll:
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Jesse Brook » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:48 pm

I had the tuba I needed at the time, a Yamaha YEB-321. I was very pleased to have 4 valves to work with after the school's ancient E-flat proved to me 3 valves on an E-flat tuba aren't quite enough. I bought it with a bit of parental help and it has served as my main do-anything tuba for a long time. As for cars, I couldn't afford any then (1999), and can barely keep one now, but all my cars have to have "tuba room".
Any time at all is tuba time. Watch for the signs.
Jesse Brook
bugler
bugler

Postby vespa50sp » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:04 pm

I started on Tuba on a fiberglass Conn Sousa, because I was the biggest kid to try out (farm kid) and I didn't know what I wanted to play. It was a plus that my parents didn't have to purchase an instrument. In Jr. High and High School I think I played a BBb Cousenon (there are several of them for sale on craigslist around here yet). There was a Reynolds available but that went to the Senior and the cute girl who took up tuba. In college I started on a Yamaha 321 at State College, then a variety of second hand horns at the UofM (I remember a 3-valve compensating Besson that I liked). Wasn't a music major, instead an Agriculture major, but took lessons from the Tuba player at the MN Orchestra. He pushed St Petersburg horns. Then I played a variety of community band horns.

My first real tuba purchase was a Besson BBb. I drove to Milwaukee on my 40th birthday to pick it up. I've been picking up a variety of weird stuff over the last few years, a Eb Ditson Helicon and Eb West German Stencil and now the Conn 12J. Still looking for the perfect horn (or the best my wife will approve of). Almost retired after 32 years in criminal justice and considering apprenticing in a instrument repair shop. Instruments don't require cognitive behavior therapy, but still occasionally use of force. Still playing community gigs.
vespa50sp
bugler
bugler

Previous

Return to TubeNet