need to replace destroyed reciever.. Euro or American? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

need to replace destroyed reciever.. Euro or American?

Postby Salazarsam33 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:29 am

So I recently bought this tuba that had the lead pipe really damaged and i took it to my repair man and he said that the last guy to fix it hacked the back of the receiver off to patch the problem (whatever that means).
Im getting a new lead pipe and receiver and he asked me if i wanted to get a Euro or American receiver.
does it make a difference? will it be harder finding euro shank mouthpieces in america? do they really fit PT/RT mouthpiece models better?

any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Sam.
Wisemann C
BMB F
Salazarsam33
bugler
bugler

Re: need to replace destroyed reciever.. Euro or American?

Postby Salazarsam33 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:31 am

I also forgot to mention a great LOUD LM-10 TJ mouthpiece came into my hands, but it is euro shank and i think it would go great with my horn, although if I get A Euro receiver will it improve the "GAP"?
Wisemann C
BMB F
Salazarsam33
bugler
bugler

Postby Donn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:31 am

Do you think there will be a gap at all? I guess you could ask him - will the interior of the receiver/leadpipe be a smooth continuous bore, or will it have an interior diameter "step" anywhere?
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby bort » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:50 am

If you are really concerned about the gap, get a Dillon AGR, and you can forever decide which shank and gap you want.

In my experience, it introduces too many variables and I could never tell too much of a difference... but for a better player, I'm sure it will make a bigger difference.

If nothing else, it'll give you the flexibility to use Euro or Amero shanks whenever you want.
B&S 4198 (PT-7P)
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:49 pm

Small shank (aka "English" or "bass trombone" shank) receivers work well down to quite a small size...about 11.5mm mouthpipe bore or so, and up to about a 13mm mouthpipe bore.

Standard shank receivers work well from around a 13mm bore up to a 14mm bore.

Large ("euro" shank receivers work well with mouthpipe bores larger than 14mm bore (though I'm not personally convinced that very many tuba mouthpipe tubes that begin at a bore much larger than 14mm work particularly well in general, but that's just me).

"Gap" (which actually refers to "the last little bit of reverse-tapered receiver exposed past the end of the mouthpiece just before the "choke point" (where the mouthpipe tube begins) should usually be minimal. The person who is known to really emphasize the importance of a specific distance (from what I've heard second-hand) doesn't seem to recommend a distance that is particularly long.

Unless you or your installer own a Jarno-taper reamer (in the 12mm - 14mm range) you aren't going to be able to change this. If you're convinced that a mm this-way-or-that (or even half a mm) will make a difference that you can sense - and which is actually of benefit, there is a person who works in conjunction with Dillon Music who "re-shanks" mouthpieces to specific dimensions. This is probably less expensive than purchasing a Jarno-taper reamer.
https://www.newmantools.com/reamer/SchedulU1.htm
Jarno reamer newmantools.com.png

As a side note, generic receivers rarely precision-fit the mouthpipe tubes with which they end up being paired. i.e. A "random" pairing of mouthpipe tube and receiver will most often result in a fitment that is too loose or too tight. When using generic receivers, "close" is considered serendipitous.

It should be noted that I am completely full of $h!t, and that everything I posted above should be taken with a grain of salt.
Further - regarding your tuba/mouthpipe/mouthpiece, it ain't mine. Do as you like. :|

:roll: :P :lol: :wink:
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Dan Schultz » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:28 pm

I use quite a few of the new style King receivers for new construction of repairing broken ones.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Bohm & Meinl helicon, Marzan euph, King 2341, Alphorn, etc.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Postby bloke » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:59 pm

Some receivers are (I strongly suspect: specifically designed to function as) "fake" euro receivers.
:arrow: They are actually extended-length standard shank receivers.
- Standard shank receivers fit them without bottoming out.
- Euro shank mouthpieces insert into them without appearing as if they hang out too far.

The same has been designed into many 3+1 compensating instruments which accommodate standard shank mouthpieces, but - in reality (in my view) are small shank receivers, as small shank mouthpieces do not bottom out in them.

"or so claimeth the" bloke
bloke

Return to TubeNet