Anyone in northern California have a cool winds tuba ? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Anyone in northern California have a cool winds tuba ?

Postby goodgigs » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:13 am

I still haven't tried one yet.
I'm just curious how "cool" they are.
You can play mine if I can play your's.
Thanx.
Brian "Goodgigs" Kane
goodgigs
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Anyone in northern California have a cool winds tuba ?

Postby groth » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:29 am

Check your PM's..
202N 4-Valve Rotary Tuba
76' Precision Bass Guitar
groth
bugler
bugler

Postby Alex C » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:01 pm

I have to jump in. I played one at TexasMEA two years ago and was enchanted. I believe I could play it at any number of gig situations and do extremely well. The problem is that professional colleagues would look at a black, blue or silver-ish plastic tuba and I would never work again.

I loved the horn. I'd buy one in a minute.

Warning: Do not use valve oil! One music store I know of has a CoolWinds with melted rotors because the core of the valve seems to melt when it comes into contact with petroleum products. You would know more about how that can happen than I would.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Postby snorlax » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:30 pm

For reasons I'll never understand, a music store in Corydon, Indiana had both a tuba and a euphonium.
The tuba played much better than the euphonium did. I seem to recall myself saying, after playing the tuba for a few minutes, "hmm...this doesn't suck nearly as bad as I thought it would..." it was actually decent. The euphonium, however, sucked even more than I thought it would.
I took some pictures--I'll post them if I can find them. Fortunately, there is no audio/video.

As with all the ABS instruments, use of a brass mouthpiece will improve the sound markedly.
snorlax
4 valves
4 valves

Location: In Galt Gulch, DESPERATELY seeking the offramp away from the Road to Serfdom

Postby goodgigs » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:01 pm

Well since the one in Sacramento is unavailable, I'm still curious to try one !
If anyone in "Nor cal" has one, I still like to give it a blow.
Thanks !
Brian "Goodgigs" Kane
goodgigs
6 valves
6 valves

Postby The Big Ben » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:45 am

Alex C wrote:I have to jump in. I played one at TexasMEA two years ago and was enchanted. I believe I could play it at any number of gig situations and do extremely well. The problem is that professional colleagues would look at a black, blue or silver-ish plastic tuba and I would never work again.

No sense of humor... I think it matters what context (type of job) it was used in. Polka party time? Bring it on. Paint it beer colored and paint a ring around the bell that looks like a foam head. I kind of like the idea of hot rod flames coming down the bell stack from the rim.

What about the weight? I would think it would be less than a comparable size metal tuba but how about it?
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Return to TubeNet