York 6/4 CC Bookmark and Share

Sell personal equipment
Forum rules
This is for selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.

York 6/4 CC

Postby Himes » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:03 pm

Asking price now $10,500

For sale is a 6/4 J.W. York and Sons tuba, converted to a front action CC by Bob Rusk. This instrument was formerly owned by Mark Wolfe of the Dallas-Fort Worth area, and was cut at his request. The body was discovered -- as an unused-and-in-poor-condition top-action BBb -- in a Hollywood movie trunk, and given new life through this conversion process. Mr. Wolfe used the instrument for many years in his professional career.

Over the past ten years, I have used this instrument in all settings through two university degrees, and into my professional career. It is a surprisingly nimble 6/4 horn, and I have used it as a solo instrument, in bands, orchestras, and chamber ensembles. Of course, it is most at home when sitting in an orchestra or band.

Intonation is surprisingly good, and certainly workable. There are no ‘crazy’ problems that sometimes occur with cut horns. Tendencies are within normal range and quite predictable. Slots are wide and “lipping” pitches into place is an easy option without loss of tone quality. All slides move easily.

Response is extremely quick; this 6/4 tuba plays like some 4/4 tubas. Of course, the tone is a classic “York” sound. Valves are 100% (no wear/leaking/etc.).

The finish shows significant wear (see photos), as might be expected given the history of the tuba. She may not look like much, but she’s got it where it counts.

The instrument is located in central Pennsylvania. I am willing to drive a fair distance for interested purchasers to try the tuba, and am willing to meet a purchaser to avoid shipping the horn (though I will ship it at buyer’s instructions, risk, and expense).

This sale includes a black leather Cronkhite gig bag (purchased when Mr. Cronkhite was still making the bags himself), and an old - but functional - Walt Johnson flight case.

Asking price is $10,500. I will consider all offers - feel free to make one.

Please email

himes DOT aaron AT gmail DOT com

with questions or inquiries.

Thanks for reading!

Additional Photos:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1sxrEQaK01l9tpsr6Y6DsX8hBAxBqHWUN?usp=sharing
Attachments
York 02.JPG
York 02.JPG (19.55 KiB) Viewed 4547 times
Last edited by Himes on Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Himes
bugler
bugler

Re: York 6/4 CC

Postby Mark Finley » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:21 pm

I knew Mark, and I've heard this horn in person. It's phenomenal, and I wish I could justify buying it

Good luck with the sale
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Mark Finley » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:25 pm

Quick story....

22 years ago or so I auditioned for the Shreveport symphony. For a small symphony there were some big names there, including Ev Gilmore. Most of us were standing outside the hall when Mark played, and we all looked at each other and knew it was over at that point. He had the job.

He was a great player, and yes, he was playing that York

RIP Mark
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Mark Finley » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:30 pm

Omg

My wife just gave me the blessing to buy this horn, just based on what we heard 22 years ago.

Even with permission, I just can't justify it. Not when I only play in a symphony 4 concerts a year.
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Himes » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:47 am

Mark:

Thanks for the luck and the story! I've heard a few similar ones about Mr. Wolfe and this horn over the years. You've already cleared the biggest hurdle (your wife said yes!), so let me know if you change your mind!
Himes
bugler
bugler

Postby Doc » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:52 am

Mark Finley wrote:Omg

My wife just gave me the blessing to buy this horn, just based on what we heard 22 years ago.

Even with permission, I just can't justify it. Not when I only play in a symphony 4 concerts a year.

Oh... but what concerts they would be! And that would be just one more reason to drive up and hang out. Test Finley's York and hear him play it in concert.

Or maybe I could buy it, and you could borrow it... Hmm... Maybe I could sell our camper...? :shock:
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Mark Finley » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:25 am

I should probably add I've never actually played the horn, so my glowing excitement is based just on hearing Mark play. Take that for what you will as far as how the horn might respond in all registers.
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Adam Peck » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:08 pm

I've played it and it's a really nice tuba....quite responsive and fun to play !
Binghamton Philharmonic Orchestra
Tri-Cities Opera Orchestra
Brass Menagerie
Billtown Brass
Always a professional musician
Adam Peck
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Alex C » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:57 pm

Mark Finley wrote:Omg

May I say that with $11k, your options for a 6/4 tuba are huge and every tuba player you know would suggest you look at all the options before buying a big tuba.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Mark Finley » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:43 pm

I'm not really in the market, I just thought it was cool that my wife gave me permission
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Cthuba » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:48 am

Whole heartedly agree with Adam. Very nice tuba!
Rudy 3/4

That which is dead can eternal lie and with many strange aeons even tubas will fly
-A Misquote from HP Lovecraft.
Cthuba
bugler
bugler

Postby Alex C » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:47 am

Mark Finley wrote:I'm not really in the market, I just thought it was cool that my wife gave me permission

Well, that is cool. A woman who understands is a rare thing.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Mark Finley » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:09 pm

Alex C wrote:
Mark Finley wrote:I'm not really in the market, I just thought it was cool that my wife gave me permission

Well, that is cool. A woman who understands is a rare thing.

Yeah, I have a good one, She's given her blessing on some big purchases in the last year, so I think I'm done buying stuff for a while. We're saving up for a big anniversary trip in 2 years. She deserves it for putting up with me for decades
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Himes » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:18 pm

Bump.
Himes
bugler
bugler

Postby ssbolas » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:40 pm

Beautiful horn!
B&S 3097(sold)
Former Navy Musician
Middle School Band Director
Looking for new horn
Spotsylvania, VA
ssbolas
bugler
bugler

Postby Himes » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:23 pm

Bump. Offers considered; price is negotiable.
Himes
bugler
bugler

Postby hubert » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:49 am

Just another approach to justify the purchase, Mark: you should play it every day for your wife (a nice serenade like Schuberts Staendchen e.g.) and besides that about 4 times a year in concert.....
Best,
Hubert
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Oldschooltuba » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:39 am

Mark you can borrow mine and show her
Eric Hunter
186CC 5U (gone)
Rudy Meinl 5/4 CC (gone)
Silver CC Piggy (gone)
Meinl Weston F Model 45 (Gone)
B&S 5/4 CC Prototype
Yamaha 822F
York 6/4 CC (yes a real York BAT)
Oldschooltuba
bugler
bugler

Postby ssbolas » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:37 pm

I am surprised that this horn has not been picked up yet!
B&S 3097(sold)
Former Navy Musician
Middle School Band Director
Looking for new horn
Spotsylvania, VA
ssbolas
bugler
bugler

Postby bort » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:39 pm

A lot of options in the 6/4, $11,000 range. All have their benefits, and every tuba will eventually find it's person.
B&S 4198 (PT-7P)
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Next

Return to For Sale by Owner