Visit to Miraphone Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Re: Visit to Miraphone

Postby djwpe » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:24 pm

You've seen well-installed ductwork, but (I'd wager) you've also seen your share of poorly-installed and/or good-enough ductwork.
That looks pretty elegant to me.
conduit:
My brother-in-law is somewhat of a savant. He makes his living in construction/landscaping mostly, but is also quite the artist.
I examined some conduit he installed quite a few years ago (his first outing, which involved three sizes of conduit, and several parallel lines). It reminded me of the "craftsman" level (bordering on artistic) conduit installation jobs that I've seen in older buildings.

If you look closely, you'll see a bunch of manufactured fittings (2-45's and 2-90's) and short straight pieces. Its hard to screw that stuff up, since it's all fabricated and just assembled on site, although as you've noted, it's possible. It's actually not a terribly well designed job, as the fittings add pressure drop, and turbulence which creates noise at the grilles (assuming it's supply).

Conduit is a different story, as the bending is typically done in the field, and there are people who have a great eyeball for that.

Don
djwpe
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:43 pm

djwpe wrote:
You've seen well-installed ductwork, but (I'd wager) you've also seen your share of poorly-installed and/or good-enough ductwork.
That looks pretty elegant to me.
conduit:
My brother-in-law is somewhat of a savant. He makes his living in construction/landscaping mostly, but is also quite the artist.
I examined some conduit he installed quite a few years ago (his first outing, which involved three sizes of conduit, and several parallel lines). It reminded me of the "craftsman" level (bordering on artistic) conduit installation jobs that I've seen in older buildings.

If you look closely, you'll see a bunch of manufactured fittings (2-45's and 2-90's) and short straight pieces. Its hard to screw that stuff up, since it's all fabricated and just assembled on site, although as you've noted, it's possible. It's actually not a terribly well designed job, as the fittings add pressure drop, and turbulence which creates noise at the grilles (assuming it's supply).

Conduit is a different story, as the bending is typically done in the field, and there are people who have a great eyeball for that.

Don

point taken...
Then again, Miraphone (folks who've always been super-nice to me) was the manufacturer that introduced the "asymmetrical upper bow" (claiming it something-or-other's) to the tuba industry.

bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby tmz1m » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:20 pm

pjv wrote:Ok, something else REALLY surprised me; the Miraphone testing room isn't set up for testing at all. Too many hard surfaces (tiled floor, lots of tubas, etc.). It was like testing a tuba in the kitchen. I didn't expect that from one of the most prolific tuba factories on the planet.

The other thing that struck me when I visited (and this isn't particularly surprising, but it's just one of those things that you don't think about when you look at a picture online) is that the tuba room is very hot temperature-wise, and smells of smoke. In fact, the entire factory smells of smoke, which I guess is par for the course in a rural German factory. The tuba room had a row of windows open, which helped a bit, but the room itself was very stuffy and not really conducive of playing your best IMO.
Miraphone 191 5v BBb
Yamaha YBL-613H Bass Bone
King 4B-F Tenor Bone
tmz1m
bugler
bugler

Postby Three Valves » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:13 pm

Employee cigarette smoke or brazing/torch smoke??

Both...??

Last edited by Three Valves on Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby tmz1m » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:13 pm

Three Valves wrote:Employee cigarette smoke or brazing/torch smoke??

Employee smoke, sorry should have been more clear.
Miraphone 191 5v BBb
Yamaha YBL-613H Bass Bone
King 4B-F Tenor Bone
tmz1m
bugler
bugler

Postby bort » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:23 pm

Nasty
B&S 4198 (PT-7P)
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby TubaDrummer » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:29 pm

Pjv can you elaborate on a comparison of the 6 valve firebird and Elektra? Was the design of 5 and 6 on the Elektra being now below 4 an improvement? How about the long bass clarinet linkage?
Mirafone 186-5U CC (1979) - Schilke Bobo Gold Mouthpiece
Yamaha Drums - Sabian Cymbals
TubaDrummer
lurker
lurker

Postby pjv » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:39 am

The long linkage, which many tubas sport nowadays, is certainly not a problem with a Miraphone. Their amazingly light rotary valves are (in my opinion) head and shoulders above those of any other manufacturer out on the market today. Every virtuosic passage I played was just so much crisper and cleaner on these horns, which is typical of Miraphone.
I wonder why they seem to be the only company capable of doing this.

I'm not sure what you mean by "below 4".
4th partial?
4th valve.
If it's about the lower register intonation (which is what I think you mean) I was duly impressed and could effortlessly play in tune throughout the entire 2nd p.
Comparing the two I like the set-up better on the Elektra; the 5th (top valve key) being longer than the 6th.
Which is not exactly your question. I didn't go into comparing the playing characteristics of these fine F-tubas but concentrated on the tuba w/only the very best intonation.
I found this (sadly) in only one of the Elektra's.
I hope this helps.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Postby mctuba1 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:43 pm

bloke wrote:Image

From what i understand is that these were left over from the failed attempts at making the new 11/4 bass tuba with 3 valves, they were going to call it the Hindenburg but it went up in flames so it was scrapped by RnD. The idea was to make a rotary F without resistance in the lower register and create the perfect do it all F tuba that could be used in the most intricate solos to Fountains.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank
804-926-7707
mctuba1
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby bloke » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:47 pm

mctuba1 wrote:
bloke wrote:Image

From what i understand is that these were left over from the failed attempts at making the new 11/4 bass tuba with 3 valves, they were going to call it the Hindenburg but it went up in flames so it was scrapped by RnD. The idea was to make a rotary F without resistance in the lower register and create the perfect do it all F tuba that could be used in the most intricate solos to Fountains.

:lol:
bloke

Previous

Return to TubeNet