Trade: custom Besson 981 for 19" bell 3+1 Eb or Willson Eb Bookmark and Share

Sell personal equipment
Forum rules
This is for selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.

Trade: custom Besson 981 for 19" bell 3+1 Eb or Willson Eb

Postby AHynds » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:36 am

Hello, all!

I know that this is likely a longshot, but I wanted to put some feelers out there and see if anyone would be interested in doing a straight trade with their 19" bell 3+1 Eb tuba for my custom Besson 981 Eb. By custom, I mean that this horn has a Conn 4J bell attached to it, which tightens up the sound just a little bit. It is an older Besson 981 with the original British shank, but it plays well in tune and works fantastically with the Denis Wick Brit shank mouthpieces. The tuba would come with an Altieri gig bag and Besson hard case.

I'm interested in getting a slightly different Eb because I often use my Eb as my only horn, and having the extra bit of bell helps to facilitate some of that type of playing.

I am particularly interested in the Yamaha YEB-632, but would also consider the Miraphone M7000 Ambassador model and the normal Besson 981.

More pictures are available on request, but here's a headshot featuring the tuba and a video of me using the horn. The blue tape in the picture is just racket grip tape, which I used to use in order to improve the grip on the sides of the horn.

https://youtu.be/D_ioivjE5B4
Last edited by AHynds on Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Aaron Hynds
Sound Production Coordinator, University of Nebraska at Kearney
Doctoral candidate at Bowling Green State University
I like to make weird and non-weird sounds with metal pipes and computers.
AHynds
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Trade: custom Besson 981 for 19" bell 3+1 Eb

Postby DonnieMac » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:45 am

Why not a Nirschl EEb 4 plus 1, same bell diameteter but larger bore: o.803 inches. Great look, great sound.. My now preferred EEb horns are both 4 plus 1 York and Willson 3400.. Thus the Nirschl sits in the c order but in its gig bag. Interested?
DonnieMac
bugler
bugler

Re: Trade: custom Besson 981 for 19" bell 3+1 Eb or Willson

Postby Steginkt » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:30 pm

Mines not for trade, but I'll defenitely advocate for holding out/ saving up for a Willson. After hearing what Marty Erickson could do on it, I decided it was the horn for me and it is an absolute joy to play, and I have not once had a fellow tubist try it and be unimpressed.
Yamaha Xeno YSL-8820
Bach Strad 50 BG w/ Greenhoe valves
Willson 3400
1970s Bohm & Meinl 5520
Lyon and Healy Sousaphone
Pennsylvania Band Instrument Imperial
Steginkt
bugler
bugler

Re: Trade: custom Besson 981 for 19" bell 3+1 Eb or Willson

Postby DouglasJB » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:05 am

How often does the Nirschl 4P1R pop up for sale? I can't say I've ever seen one for sale, at one point I was looking for one.
Silver Kanstul 80 3/4 F Tuba
DouglasJB
3 valves
3 valves

Return to For Sale by Owner