King Eb 4 Valve Sousaphone for sale, Model 1261, 1942 Bookmark and Share

Sell personal equipment
Forum rules
This is for selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.

King Eb 4 Valve Sousaphone for sale, Model 1261, 1942

Postby sometubaguy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:27 am

King Eb 4 Valve Sousaphone for sale, Model 1261, 24" bell, from 1942. This is one of the WWII production models with US engraved on the bell, made for the US armed forces. See this thread for the Tubenet discussion:

http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72425&p=588490&hilit=world+war+manufacturers#p588490It

This sousa plays very well and is in very good condition. All tuning slides move freely. It has some non-critical dents. The valve section tubing is in great shape. The valves have a little plating wear but work well.

I was at one time in search of an Eb tuba to convert to F. Upon buying several I decided that it would be a shame to mess any of them up by cutting them. I don't want to assimilate yet another set of fingerings so I'm selling my Eb horns. This Sousa is the first one I'm posting.

Initially I'm looking for buyers within driving/meeting distance. I'm in NJ midway between NYC and Philadelphia (Exit 7 NJ Turnpike for you NEC road warriors).

Asking price is $1500. Offers considered, preferably upon trying it out.

Eb Full 1-.jpg
Pic3
Eb Full 1-.jpg (86.98 KiB) Viewed 762 times

Eb Sousa Valve sectio + SNn-.jpg
Eb Sousa Valve sectio + SNn-.jpg (84.98 KiB) Viewed 762 times

Eb Sousa Valve section-.jpg
Eb Sousa Valve section-.jpg (84.95 KiB) Viewed 762 times
Submitted via Infinite Improbability Drive v4.2
sometubaguy
lurker
lurker

Re: King Eb 4 Valve Sousaphone for sale, Model 1261, 1942

Postby fenne1ca » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:13 am

Wish I had the $$$. This would make a beautiful companion for my USMC Keefer helicon. Good luck with the sale!
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon
fenne1ca
bugler
bugler

Postby Gus_Pratt » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:17 pm

I turned one of these into a CC sousaphone once with incredible results. I located an American Standard BBb sousaphone, which was also made by King and had the same bore as the Eb. I was able to take the valve tubing that came out of the valve section and made a loop and solder it in to drop the pitch to CC. The thing that was amazing was that the new loop matched up perfectly with the 4th valve tubing (same radii, etc) and matched perfectly bore wise with the main loop. I think I had to extend the main tuning slide slightly, and extend the 4th valve tubing. The other slides had enough length to just pull them out to the correct length. It turned out being a rather simply conversion. The person who I sold it to enjoys it.
Gus_Pratt
bugler
bugler

Postby sometubaguy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:07 am

Thanks for that info Gus, much appreciated. It sounds like that conversion can be done without irreversibly altering the instrument. There's been a good bit of interest in the horn, but if for some reason it doesn't sell I'll be looking into doing that conversion.
Gary
Submitted via Infinite Improbability Drive v4.2
sometubaguy
lurker
lurker

Return to For Sale by Owner