F Tuba with the BEST intonation? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

F Tuba with the BEST intonation?

Postby Doc » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:22 pm

With all the new tubas hitting the market today, I’d like to ask pose this question anew:

Based on your own trials and experiences, which F tuba do you believe has the best (nearest to point-and-shoot) intonation? Tuba/mouthpiece combos are also welcome in your responses. If anyone has experience with the Packer, Wessex Berg, and new Wessex and Eastman models/prototypes, please chime in.

Thanks!
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Re: F Tuba with the BEST intonation?

Postby Steginkt » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:26 pm

I played a Willson F in college with amazing intonation. The partials were all in tune with each other, and the A at the top of the staff was just a hair low. That being said, I didnt care much for the sound, the ergonomics, or the response
Yamaha Xeno YSL-8820
Bach Strad 50 BG w/ Greenhoe valves
Willson 3400
1970s Bohm & Meinl 5520
Lyon and Healy Sousaphone
Pennsylvania Band Instrument Imperial
Steginkt
bugler
bugler

Postby Bob Kolada » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:48 pm

I played a Miraphone 1281 for a year or so for everything. Once I got the horn dialed in I rarely moved slides for anything except low notes. Open C's were fine. It did not have a great low register though; low C was fine but below that was kind of meh.
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Postby tubacorbin » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:33 pm

Every 2250 I've ever played, including the 2250-TL "french touch" I used to own, all had really easy "point and shoot" intonation. I own a Packer F now, and intonation is equally as easy as the 2250.
tubacorbin
bugler
bugler

Postby DouglasJB » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:25 pm

Aside from A and Bb at the bottom of the Staff, my Kanstul 80 is extremely in tune.
Silver Kanstul 80 3/4 F Tuba
DouglasJB
3 valves
3 valves

Postby joshealejo » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:55 pm

The B&S Alessandro Fossi is very in tune! The low register is no problem with the 6 valves and the 2nd valve kicker is always a hero when needed (but that is not always). I use a Loud LM 15 with It and sonetimes the LM9, but I always go back to the LM15.
Last edited by joshealejo on Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
C Courtois 168 "D'Orchestre" French Tuba
Bb Courtois 267 "Challenger" Euphonium
F B&S 56AFT "Alessandro Fossi" Bass Tuba
CC B&S 4098 "Mel Culbertson - Neptune" Contrabass Tuba
joshealejo
bugler
bugler

Postby ckalaher1 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:26 am

My 5+1 GB Miraphone Elektra has exceptional intonation. I use a PT64 in it to give me a little bit more resistance to the blow. Great tuba. I use it for everything that I possibly can.
ckalaher1
bugler
bugler

Postby Casca Grossa » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:03 pm

Bloke’s F tuba
Mack-a-clone 186 "Chairman Mao"
Blokepiece Imperial #2 Fair Dinkum Profundo Rim
Lignatone Eb "Charlene"
Blokepiece Solo
Why have 3 valves when you can have 6 and a main tuning slide kicker???
Casca Grossa
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Doc » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:33 pm

Casca Grossa wrote:Bloke’s F tuba

I won’t argue against that, but I bet it ain’t for sale. Well... there might be an amount he’d take for it, but not a price mere mortals could afford.
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby JasonEuphonium » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:03 pm

The answer, of course, is my F tuba, and no one else's.
University of Miami, Frost School of Music - BM Euphonium Performance '21

Besson Prestige 2052
Bach 50B3
Olds Custom P-16
JasonEuphonium
lurker
lurker

Postby besson900 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:16 am

All new rotary 5 ventiles(5099 & 3099) B&S tuba s have great intonation.B&S company is producing them for a such a long time that they fixed this problem in them

2nd one is MW 2250, I had a problem while playing this model just on A which I had to play by pressing 3 valve(normally 12 combination)

That's just mine opinion I used to play Canadian Brass MB-64 mouthpiece
besson900
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:49 am

Mine has enough combination of buttons to mash so that (for any pitch) something will work great (even some alternates for "it's very cold in here"). Some tuba players, though, probably don't like thinking about mashing six levers (plus a rarely-used #5 slide trigger) - and some of those levers - in illogical-to-tuba-most-players ways, though it's still infinitely less complicated than an oboe, bassoon, or (even) a piano.

Here's something odd (good?...bad?) about my instrument:
The lower C# is sharp with the 2-3 valve combination, and the in-the-staff C# is flat with the 2-3 valve combination...
...but with 1-2-6, both of those pitches are in tune. Yes, I'm reporting that using 1-2-6 corrects both of those pitches in OPPOSITE directions.
The above-the-staff C# is easiest with the valve combination 2-4...very secure and right on pitch. If I've really been practicing a ton (iron chops), and the tuba is quite warm (which, in orchestral playing, is almost never the case), or if it is in the context of an A major chord, 2-3 works for the top C#.

I have a 5th valve (right hand) thumb trigger, but only use it for two pitches:
- low A, which I like to play 5-6-4 (and barely trigger the 5th slide, as this combo is "perfect" vs. 2-3-4 which is "good") and (depending on the context) "low" F, which I CAN play with 5-6-1-2-3-4 and trigger the #5 slide out as far as possible. This offers the option of a "brassier" low F vs. the more "hollow-sounding" (no-valves-down) low F.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby pjv » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:49 pm

I just purchased a MW 4260 (tradition). It's real game changer for me. Superb intonation, easy player in ALL registers, even sound from top to bottom, and a sweat sound as well. I also like how it sits/balances. The mouthpipe is at a perfect height for my body and it seems like my mpc is placed just a little bit farther beyond the bell than many tubas. This is a good thing because I like to have my mpc at a slight angle pointed downward and this give me more room to do this comfortably. My B&S Symphonie (for example) is just a bit too close to the bell. What happens (with me) is I then have to jut my neck a bit forward to get a comfortable playing angle. With the MW I don't have this. (I don't think I explained this clearly.) Anyway it comes down to a tad extra room. And if you're big bellied you'll like this horn.
Lastly it's very well designed. 5th and 6th are placed after the 4th valve and all the valve slides (with the exception of the 4th) are placed so that all the condensation runs into the main slide. At the end of the day the only tuba turning I do is a half turn to empty the water out of the fourth. Living in a cold and often humid country I'm in love with this set-up.

Also check out the Miraphone Elektra. They all have great intonation though many I tested had a low 8th harmonic which is a nasty register to have to muscle tune. Fortunately some didn't have this quirk. Worth trying. GREAT valves.

I was also very impressed with the intonation of the Berg. Worth trying and definitely worth keeping an eye on what Wessex is up to.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Return to TubeNet