King 2341 (New Model) Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: King 2341 (New Model)

Postby bort » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:11 pm

Back in about 2003, when I bought my first tuba (after college = no more school tuba), I considered a 2341.

IIRC, there was a batch at BBC being sold, new, for $3,000 each, with the disclaimer "you will never see these prices again."

Guess that was true! Frankly, I think the low price scared me off a bit, too. Plus, I was already a CC person by that point. :roll:
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby sloan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:23 pm

At one point, I had 6 tubas. Then I downsized. The one I kept is a 2341 (new model - 2nd iteration).

Those with better ears than mine claim it's "one of the good ones".

Which is a clue - some are very, very good - others are not. Play test before buying.

Otherwise - it was "tuned at the factory" and does effortlessly everything I have ever needed it to do.

What more do you need?
Kenneth Sloan
sloan
On Ice
On Ice

Postby Doc » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:28 pm

sloan wrote:it was "tuned at the factory" and does effortlessly everything I have ever needed it to do.

What more do you need?

That’s all you need.

I’m a bit envious of having six tubas,but I’ve certainly had my share over the years. I’d like to find a medium sized BBb or CC (King 2341, Eastman 632, etc) that was easy to play, easy to hold, and had very easy intonation. But then again, there are a bunch of tubas I’d love to own. :cry:
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:32 pm

Donn wrote:Did all of these glowing testimonials apply equally to the Old Model, and/or 1241? My guess, just on principle, would be that they're physical similar enough that differences are going to be as much due to assembly line accidents - but they will be different to the player because of the old model's tall bell.

"old" versions" (both 1241 and 2341) play just as well.
Players probably like/prefer the squatty new version because
- cute
- less unwieldy
- output-source-close-to-head, which more tuba players seem to prefer...and even some tubists

Well-cared-for older ones seem to have been considerably more carefully constructed, but what else is new?
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby davidbharris » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:54 am

I was down at Dillons trying about a dozen different BBb(!, gotta love that), including the chinese clone of the King (which really was a decent horn). Then Matt pulled out a new/used 2341 that someone had bought and really never used. What a sweet horn! After a couple of hours of trying horns it was the clear winner and I rode home with it. So happy to have this tuba. I also play a beautiful 1885 Czverny BBb 4 valve helicon, which is awesome for all sorts of second line, balkan, dixieland and groove music. But for sitting in a section, the King 2341 melds so much better. I had spit valves put on all the valve tubes to make emptying just a tip. When I stand, I use the newly improved neotech tuba harness https://www.amazon.com/Neotech-5401172- ... tuba+strap
BTW, I can even use this with my helicon, splitting the load evenly over both shoulders; this was a game-changer for both horns and highly suggest it for all players.
davidbharris
lurker
lurker

Postby Jerryleejr » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:44 pm

Little late to the party but my comeback horn was a new 2341. Then life happened and I sold it. When it was time to buy another horn I had every intention of getting another 2341. However I came across a great deal on a Miraphone 289 and couldn't pass it up. I loved everything about the King I had. Maybe mine was an exception but the fit and finish was perfect. Other than the water collection that is common to these horns I would buy another one in a heart beat. And I still keep my eye out for a well taken care of used one.

JJ
Miraphone 289...
Adams F5
Kanstul 991 Custom
Always room for more....
Jerryleejr
3 valves
3 valves

Postby sloan » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:08 pm

A good 2314 is a joy to play - and Matt is the guy to help you find a good one. I’m convinced that they are ALL good, once Matt has prepped them. As for spit valves, I always pull the top slides and pour. It helps to remind me to keep them free sliding (although I never pull a slide while playing - a combination of my tin ear and the fact that they are “tuned at the factory”.

I recently had to downsize. I kept ONE tuba - the 2314. It can do almost anything “adequately” - and I specialize in “adequate”.
Kenneth Sloan
sloan
On Ice
On Ice

Postby nworbekim » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:28 pm

i really like my 2341. i haven't played all that many tubas the last 30 years, i've been teaching high school band and played about everything BUT tuba. of the few horns i have played, i like mine as well or better.

i had the valves vented, another spit valve on the 4th valve slide, the removable slide/valve section was made permanent with extra bracing, and the lead pipe is braced to the bell now. i've kept the metal valve guides so far, but they're clicking a little now... i think i'm going to have them worked on. my guy tells me they wear and he will custom fit new ones to make them quieter. i had the first valve done that way already because it was so noisy and it's made the other 3 stand out now.

i have another instrument coming (a 3/4) and when it gets here, i'm going to send the king up for a full valve guide job.

the weight is the only negative for me. my doctor calls what i have - erosive arthritis/degenerative disk disease. the 2341 in it's original case is about 50 lbs. i'm strong enough to lift that fine... but my joints/back don't like it and make me pay in pain later. i use a gig bag and a cart. no problem holding it up to play though. it balances fine.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
nworbekim
4 valves
4 valves

Location: I bought a farm in southern Kentucky near Lake Cumberland

Previous

Return to TubeNet