cimbasso - pops Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

cimbasso - pops

Postby bloke » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:56 pm

Quite a few times, I've mentioned that I have used my cimbassos (formerly owned: Jinbao / currently owned: one that I built myself) FAR MORE times in POPS concerts than I have used them playing Verdi (etc.) opera overtures.

I used it wall-to-wall on this (single-tune video linked below) concert - and I played tuba NOT-at-all...with every part stating "TUBA" at the top. The orchestrator/arranger was the bass player in the cover band, and he was absolutely knocked out (by the pop-music-appropriate timbre)...even looking back at me during the show giving me grins and thumbs-up...and the more (only when appropriate :twisted:) that I ran roughshod over the orchestra, the more he seemed to dig it. :mrgreen:

If I have linked this (orchestra office worker crappy phone video with a slight amount of distortion, but cimbasso quite audible) video before, I apologize, but (please) tell me whether you agree that the cimbasso was the correct choice for (at least) this number...and I was "unplugged" (no microphone).
fwiw, this was the bloke-built cimbasso's "maiden voyage" (first gig). over-the-top geeky remark: Since then, I've moved down a millimeter in rim-opening size on this mouthpiece. The sound is more "even" throughout the ranges, and mezzo-forte (often, the "dead zone" with cimbassos) is easier for me to achieve, now.

I have no idea how to pull a video from facebook...Most folks have facebook accounts, and you do not have to "like" this page to play this video, as long as you're logged in to facebook:

...and (though repetitive) who doesn't like "Africa"...? 8)

:arrow: https://www.facebook.com/thejacksonsymphonyinjacksontn/videos/1746866422022810

bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: cimbasso - pops

Postby ScottM » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:46 pm

Nice looking horn!
ScottM
bugler
bugler

Postby itai » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:21 pm

Sounds awesome, bloke 8)
Itai Agmon
Minnesota Opera Orchestra
itai
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:06 pm

Thank-you.

He wrote w-a-y too more (at least, w-a-y more than any of us are accustomed to playing in a typical oldies rock pop concert...and on every tune in the book)...but I think - with the cimbasso - it wasn't too much, because of the thinner more pointed sound - which blends with the guitars much better than a tuba in rock music.
bloke

Postby Rivercity Tuba » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:01 pm

Have played this cimbasso, on par with instruments that cost 15-20k. I should also mention Joe designed and built this thing and he hit a home-run, my comparison should be clarified with that it is as good as anything available, period.
Last edited by Rivercity Tuba on Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rivercity Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bloke » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:22 pm

I have heard Rivercity tuba play, and - regardless of the instrument used - their playing is on par with that of the most high-profile players using the judged-to-be-finest instruments.
bloke

Postby BrassedOn » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:16 pm

Having viewed your build posts, I can only imagine the feeling of putting this horn into action.
"Do less, better."
2001 King 2341UB BBb
1977 Fender P Bass
1970s King 3b Silver Sonic
1987 Bach 42BO
1990 Getzen 1062 Bass Trombone (Stacked, Dependent)
19xx? Blessing Sousaphone BBb
BrassedOn
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:57 pm

From the same concert,
"Don't Stop Believin' "
LOL... still off-camera:
When the camera pans to the right, I am exactly blocked by the curtain...
... but the cimbasso sound is pretty prominent:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1751813204861465&id=145039292205539

EDIT: I just saw where the bass trombonist made a note (a comment) of "1:27", so that may possibly have been the time that we took the ostinato figure down an octave and cranked.
bloke

Return to TubeNet