F.A. Reynolds Sousaphone Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

F.A. Reynolds Sousaphone

Postby Austincomerf95 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:06 am

Hi All,

A friend is currently in possession of an F.A. Reynolds sousaphone and they are curious to know a bit more about it and what it might be worth. I know very little about sousaphones, but thought you folks might know a thing or two about them.

Looks like work was done on it a while back, but there are barely any dents on it right now. Surprisingly, all of the slides move and the valves work pretty well too.

Below is a link to a folder with some images.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Q6E23 ... zABsRiOVpi" target="_blank

Cheers,
AC
Austin Comerford
Austincomerf95
bugler
bugler

Re: F.A. Reynolds Sousaphone

Postby bloke » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:58 am

Those are nice instruments, particularly if they have ~not~ been thrown around, mechanically worn out, allowed to rot (body cracks, etc.), or buffed down by some "overhaul" shop.

Due to the moderate bore size, they offer the ease of play of King sousaphones, but with a rounder sound.

To avoid needless damage, your friend should have that missing upper-#1-slide-to-body brace replaced.
Newly-bought King sousaphone socket brace flanges are a decent match (in gauge) for Reynolds and Olds sousaphone brace socket flanges.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Re: F.A. Reynolds Sousaphone

Postby iiipopes » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:05 pm

I agree with the rounder sound. I had a fiberglass one for awhile, and the throat and tenon is just a tad wider than a King, which I think is why. Unfortunately, this was a few years ago, and I don't remember what I got for it, I remember getting a good deal purchasing it and a good offer to sell it.
"Bessophone" w/ 2-piece Imperial Blokepiece,
Lexan 32.6 Modified Helleberg rim & modified .080 extender
Wessex BR115 w/ Wick Ultra SMB6
King Super 20 trumpet w/ Bach 3C/76
Fanned fret bass and electric guitars
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Return to TubeNet