Schiller Tubas Bookmark and Share

No posting restrictions. Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Schiller Tubas

Postby kvigil1 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:31 pm

I’ve been offered a Schiller Elite Compensating CC Tuba for a pretty good price and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this horn? I thought I’d come on here and ask for opinions before I make the drive to test it out. Thank you!
kvigil1
lurker
lurker

Re: Schiller Tubas

Postby Mark Finley » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:44 pm

First of all, it's not compensating

2nd of all, if you're getting it for a great price and you like the way it plays, it's probably a good horn. Check it out closely for rattles, check the valves for wear or discoloration, and realize that if you ever need parts, you are on your own. Schiller is marketed by a company that is not known for customer service
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Re: Schiller Tubas

Postby the elephant » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:03 pm

+1

Everything he said, especially regarding my the bogus ad copy calling it a compensating tuba. It is 100% NOT a compensating horn unless you want to engage in a dishonest and completely academic argument.

They can play okay. The price needs to be very low, though, as these depreciate terribly. The original buyer needs to accept that fact and not try to dump that in your lap. Look it up on eBay and see what a new one runs for. In my experience the price should be around 75% of new if it is in perfect shape. Most seem to eventually sell for about 55% to 60% of new, and even at that price they generally sell very slowly.

I have one of the 410 CC models (Miraphone 186 clone) and it playes *very* well. I paid $2000 and would consider myself lucky to get about $1200 for it.

As stated above, if it is a very good example and the price is acceptable to you then go for it, but be prepared to keep it. If you sell it to help pay for another horn expect this to take a long time.

That being said, I seriously don’t believe I will ever sell mine. It is just too useful to me, and I have very money little sunk into it. I actually *really* like what I got.

Keep researching. See if any of the more respected importers sell this model and how much more you would need to get one new from them. Some of these models can be a truly good purchase, but always remember: Caveat emptor!

Good luck!

For all you do, this " target="_blank's for you.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Return to Wanting To Buy/Seeking