WTB: Mirafone Kranz — I know, Wrong Forum… Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

WTB: Mirafone Kranz — I know, Wrong Forum…

Postby the elephant » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:08 pm

I am posting here because this is the only place on TN that will ever get a large enough audience to find what I am looking for. I have posted it in the WTB Forum as well. Sorry. Please don't delete this copy because I am fairly certain that whomever might have this part won't be surfing the WTB Forum. Anyway, delete this copy if you have to. Sorry... :mrgreen:

I need a new, never installed, OLD STYLE, OLD SPELLING, OLD SIZE Miraphone 186 bell wreath/garland/Kranz with the period-correct spelling of "MIRAFONE" that one of you guys might have sitting around in a parts bin from a project you never completed and would like some of your money back. (I have a wire if your Kranz no longer sports one. Same price offer.)

I will pay you close to DOUBLE what one of these costs brand new through Miraphone (currently @$104, so I am offering you $200!!!!!!) if you have one in new, unused condition, even if it has completely blackened with age. Again, it must have never been hammered around the wire. Did I happen to mention that I already have two used ones and do not want another, but only a NEW one? (Just checking to make sure you understood what I am looking for, heh, heh...)

I know this is a long shot, but Miraphone informed me that they can no longer sell this. They stopped engraving the wreaths and now would have to send it to an engraver and "it might not match, exactly, the old engraving".

Further, if you have one and don't care about the engraving but plan on using it someday, perhaps we could trade my genuine Miraphone bell garland that has no engraving plus a hundred bucks for your fully engraved one with the old F spelling of the name. This would leave you with a new garland and enough money to get another one.

I know this is an extreme long shot, but —

Anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?

the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Re: WTB: Mirafone Kranz — I know, Wrong Forum…

Postby Alex C » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:35 pm

I wonder if Miraphone will make one for you?
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Postby the elephant » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:01 pm

As posted above, yes. It will add a minimum of $70, but they have to send it out to some other company and it might not look exactly the same. Also, I am not sure I would get one back that said MIRAFONE since the engraver would have to copy the style from a larger sized example, which would probably have the PH spelling. I do not imagine that Miraphone would set me up to speak with the actual person at the engraving company who would do the work, hence the warning that it might not be an exact match.

Bummer...
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby Alex C » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:26 pm

Sorry. I know what it's like to strive for complete authenticity.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Postby the elephant » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:30 pm

Alex C wrote:Sorry. I know what it's like to strive for complete authenticity.

Not complete, but losing the nice engraving sucks. If I can find the part I will use it. I have a blank one sitting here, ready to go.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby greenbean » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:46 pm

If you REALLY want the correct garland/kranz, you could patiently wait for a "donor" 186 from the correct period to appear on the market at a good price. Buy it, swap garlands, and sell the donor. This will take time but perhaps not a lot of money if you buy it right.
-----
Yamaha bass trombones
B&S & Mirafone BBb tubas
greenbean
bugler
bugler

Postby the elephant » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:22 pm

Thanks but no. I have a used one. I want one that has never been installed. It needs to have no gouges, dings, ripples, etc. It needs to have never been buffed. It needs to have a rim wire that is still pristine. I take immaculate care of my horns, so it would stay undamaged until I retire. To me it is worth it.

My horn is getting a lot of new nickel silver to go on the 48 year old brass parts. I want the Kranz to match all the other stuff after I do a very painstakingly careful restoration, so with every other piece of nickel silver on the bugle being new I want the Kranz to be new, too.

I appreciate your input, but like I said, I have an excellent old one with permanent small damage and a rim wire that will be hard to truly make flat and round again. Also, the specific minor damage would end up being what destroys the thing when I remove it, no matter how carefully I try. There are cracks all over the rolled edge that will end up becoming inch to two inch long fragments when the edge is tapped up and opened. I started to do this and had four small pieces just fall off. It looks like garbage now, to me. These are designed to be single use parts. When the edge is tapped down into place the metal becomes thicker and very work hardened. Even with annealing if it is already cracked it will break off under the pressure of being thinned back out and made into a much wider diameter, which is what happens when you do this.

Just looking for responses from anyone who might happen to have access to a shop that bought a lot of this stuff back in the day and have the parts up by the ceiling on pegs, turning black and being forgotten about. They are out there. I just don't know where. My shop had four of these along with two bells and bottom bows and four top bows. They had been ordered in 1976 before the store moved from downtown to the suburbs. The parts got boxed up and put in the warehouse to be unpacked later. And no one ever unpacked them. I found them by accident in 1995. Everything was still perfect with tags on them, along with some 1975 catalogs. I wish that store had not closed. I could have toddled on down there and bought all of it for cheap if I would just help them get rid of it.

As an aside, and sort of to Alex, Eva emailed me today and told me they had located a single 186 CC leadpipe from the 1970s and it is in good shape. I had to send them photos to see if it will work. I should get a price on it tomorrow. Since I am going to jump down the rabbit hole on this, I am going to see just how the engraving might look. (It might be great. It might suck. I don't know.) If it looks like it might be good and I can get the correct spelling of MIRAFONE I will buy one and have it shipped with the leadpipe.

So I may have a solution after all. I just need to speak with her about the engraver and whether they use this company for such things with any regularity. We shall see… :tuba:
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Return to TubeNet