ON HOLD: York 'Monster'/USA 19" 4V front-action project Bookmark and Share

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!

ON HOLD: York 'Monster'/USA 19" 4V front-action project

Postby bloke » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:42 pm

As can be seen, this is a classic 19-inch bell York "Monster" Eb body (never refinished/smooth brass/no holes/no patches), but was set up at the factory and sold as York's econo "USA Line" (as a 3-valve top-action). The engraving (sorry, York enthusiasts, but...) is superior-to and more-masculine-appearing-than the regular York engraving pattern featuring the USA Line shield and an intricately-engraved large and fierce eagle.

Included in this project is a GENUINE York 4-valve front-action valveset (satin silver), which was originally harvested from a York 4-valve Eb sousaphone. The bore size (approximately 21/32 inch) and styling are the same as found on the York "Monster" Eb tuba, so - once completed - this would prove to be a very convincing project indeed. I tossed in at least one extra dogleg (which is taller) as it could prove to be of assistance getting the instrument "back down to" Eb, as the USA model featured a main slide in front of the valveset.

Please note that an extra (ALREADY RESTORED, FOR THE BUYER'S CONVENIENCE) bottom bow WITH CAP from a "professional" model York "Monster" is ALSO included. The pistons seem (??) to have possibly been restored in the past with copper and nickel, with the nickel (possibly...??) not having been particularly thick. They are in very-restorable and not-rough condition. The porting (as is typical with amazing original York pistons) is smooth. If the buyer chooses to NOT rebuild the pistons, I would rate the current fitment as "B" (as opposed to "A", "C", "D", or "F"), so the instrument would play just fine. I would suggest sending the valveset - once properly adapted for this bugle - to Dan Oberloh for piston/casing restoration.

Also please not all of the other spare parts (including some York tuba fourth valve circuit parts, and some York sousaphone fourth valve circuit parts).

Finally, I'm tossing in everything that I could find from the original USA instrument - as originally bought.

$2500 would purchase all of this immediately, and I would consider offers above $2000, :arrow: which I would expect those making offers to honor for fifteen days. This is not an auction, and I'm not revealing any existing offers to others who may be interested. I'm only - basically - expressing "$2500 or best offer over $2000, if offers come in within the next couple of weeks". At the end of fifteen days (assuming existing offers above $2000) it will be sold. If no offers, this project/kit will be returned to the Attique de bLoke for additional seasoning.

I'll pack it up for a $50 fee, and ship it at the buyer's expense. I would encourage the buyer to pick it up in-person for no fee and no shipping.

A similar instrument (post-restoration) recently sold in the $7500 - $8000 range here on TubeNet. :|

Last edited by bloke on Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: York 'Monster'/USA 19" 4V front-action ALL YORK project

Postby cjk » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:37 am

Drool.

I wonder who the best person to finish this project would be, since Joe isn't going to do it. The one that Joe built way back when was pretty awesome. I wish I could find a picture of it.
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:08 pm

cjk wrote:Drool.

I wonder who the best person to finish this project would be, since Joe isn't going to do it. The one that Joe built way back when was pretty awesome. I wish I could find a picture of it.

A gentleman in the West Point Band owns that one, now:

bloke

Postby bloke » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:32 pm

Someone contacted me about a trade - which did not interest me.

HOWEVER, I may (??) have found someone who might BUY the thing you wanted to trade, so you could BUY this...

I can't find your message in emails, TubeNet messaging, or any of the various facebook messaging places.

Please contact me, if you are still interested in this.
bloke

Postby Doc » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:36 pm

I wish I had the skills and tools to put this together.
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:17 pm

sold, pending meet-up & remuneration
bloke

Return to TubeNet Sponsors